Operation: Parking Lot Hartge: Update 9/21/22, Back in the saddle

Post your photos and videos here!
landspeed

Re: Operation: Parking Lot Hartge: Update 9/21/22, back in the saddle

Post by landspeed »

Hey guys, long time, no update.

I finally got back my motivation to get the Hartge project back on track. Finally got it registered, and (properly)insured. With the Special Purpose registration, I don't need a front plate. It's the Italian plate bracket that I want, right?

I mounted a Ladue replica airdam back in July, just need some final tweaks, and then paint.

Still on the hunt for a (reasonably priced) set of staggered 16" BBS RA wheels, apparently they're desirable, best I've seen was $1500 for a rough set. I would consider some staggered Hartge Type A's too for the right price.

I am on the hunt for some correct badging, as well as advice on proper placement. I have an "H5S" badge for the right trunklid, and a front grill mount. But I do not have either style of "Hartge" badge(with or without angled stripes. I plan on making copies of the H5S badge, and whatever else I acquire. Any badges that I find are eye wateringly expensive, and from France, or Germany, or other far away place.

I'm also gathering info on proper engine specs, Since my car no longer has the original Hartge engine. All of the correct parts are there, but mounted to an abused B35. I'd like to build as correct of engine as possible, without spending big $$$$ trying to buy a used Hartge head. Any insight on what pieces(head/block/cam), would be "most" correct to build a Hartge spec engine, would be greatly appreciated. I get that some machine work may be needed, but I can do all the assembly work.

I would eventually like to replace the dogleg transmission too, as it has a bent shift rod, and occasionally gets stuck in 1-2 gears.

Anyway, took the car to the BMW day at our local Cars and Coffee. They parked me in a preferred spot, next to a gorgeous '57 501, recently back for a 2 year resto in Germany.

Last edited by landspeed on Sep 21, 2022 3:34 PM, edited 1 time in total.
landspeed

Re: Operation: Parking Lot Hartge: Update 9/21/22, Back in the saddle

Post by landspeed »

I'll work on fixing the broken photo links too.
cek

Post by cek »

I can barely say Hartge, much less spell it, so can’t offer much help. But glad you’re back. Nice work.
LeiseyJr

Post by LeiseyJr »

http://www.devinder2.com/misc/M30camshafts.pdf
specs on a hartge cam

pdf file: 1986 BMW Hartge H5S - For Sale.pdf
a pdf with a lot of pictures and hartge part #s from this for sale ad
viewtopic.php?t=108619
Adam W in MN

Post by Adam W in MN »

I love that this car is getting resurrected! So cool.
landspeed

Post by landspeed »

I promise to keep this thread more up to date. All photo links have been fixed as well.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

landspeed wrote: Sep 21, 2022 11:01 PM I promise to keep this thread more up to date. All photo links have been fixed as well.
Ok. I'll check back next year for an update.

At least it is driving season for a couple months to enjoy the ride.
landspeed

Post by landspeed »

I've been driving it for most of the year, but I got some other projects done and a car sold, so now I'm putting more attention on the Hartge.
Mdreamer

Post by Mdreamer »

I love your car and the story behind it. Thanks for the update!
hubble1953

Post by hubble1953 »

Hey Lan: Glad to see you are having fun with the h5. I am trying to finish my h23 tribute before the end of Fall:). Sent you a pm re: your questions.
Maybe we will see you next summer in Portland. Maybe the 5erWest will be in Portland again:)
jm
landspeed

Post by landspeed »

hubble1953 wrote: Oct 01, 2022 10:53 AM Hey Lan: Glad to see you are having fun with the h5. I am trying to finish my h23 tribute before the end of Fall:). Sent you a pm re: your questions.
Maybe we will see you next summer in Portland. Maybe the 5erWest will be in Portland again:)
jm
Hey John, check your PMs
landspeed

Post by landspeed »

Getting ready to do some work to the Hartge over the winter months. However, work will probably slow down in the Spring, since my 2nd child is due in May, so my free time will go to ZERO.

Trying to get the fuel injection dialed with good cold start, all warning lights resolved, rear sunshade rebuilt, all windows lubed and operating properly, new straps for the Recaros.

Still trying to get new Hartge badges produced as well. I plan on making a full set for my car, plus extras, and a few extras for others if interested.

Also looking for a set of 16" BBS/Mahle RAs, or Hartge Type As. I would prefer staggered, but square would suffice too.
Micke80

Post by Micke80 »

landspeed wrote: Oct 21, 2022 3:47 PMStill trying to get new Hartge badges produced as well. I plan on making a full set for my car, plus extras, and a few extras for others if interested.
Might be interested in a full set for my E24. :D
landspeed

Post by landspeed »

Micke80 wrote: Oct 22, 2022 3:43 AM
landspeed wrote: Oct 21, 2022 3:47 PMStill trying to get new Hartge badges produced as well. I plan on making a full set for my car, plus extras, and a few extras for others if interested.
Might be interested in a full set for my E24. :D
I'll add you to the list. Not sure when I can get them made, as all the places that can do it are several months out on new projects.
hubble1953

Post by hubble1953 »

Hey lan: Any news on the hartge badges?
thanks,
jm
landspeed

Post by landspeed »

hubble1953 wrote: Feb 16, 2023 6:47 PM Hey lan: Any news on the hartge badges?
thanks,
jm
Still working on it. The local companies I found are either too busy, or just don't want to take a small batch job like this. Looking into other options.
hubble1953

Post by hubble1953 »

Hi: Thanks for keeping me in the loop. Did you figure out a price for the badges...if you can get them?
thanks,
jm
landspeed

Post by landspeed »

hubble1953 wrote: Mar 06, 2023 4:16 PM Hi: Thanks for keeping me in the loop. Did you figure out a price for the badges...if you can get them?
thanks,
jm
I still have no idea, as none of the companies have even looked at what I'm trying to do.
landspeed

Post by landspeed »

While I wait to figure out the badge situation, I have a list of tasks on the Hartge to tackle.

I did get a wideband 02 sensor, to set the mixture. It has a single wire 02 sensor, but the Johnson box was removed from the car before my ownership. I feel it has been running way too rich, at least I can do a static adjustment.

Also, a mouse(now dead) set up shop in my garage, and managed to chew a hole in the washer reservoir. Trying to figure out the best repair until I find a good replacement.

I need to find a good diagram on the hvac controls/levers/etc. The temp knob works, but that's about it. The levers seem really stiff, and don't change anything. I also have constant cold air coming from the bottom portion of center dash, I believe it's outside air, not affected by either blower.
landspeed

Post by landspeed »

Every time I try to to make progress, something sets me back. I know, like I'm the only one. I was headed to a Saturday morning car meet, and my battery light is glowing as I pull out of the driveway. Battery is at 12.1volts. I pull the alternator, voltage regulator is done, and the bearings are toast. One the bright side, I cleaned and rebuilt the alternator for $38.

I also picked up an AEM wideband to check the AFR, as it seemed really rich at idle. I was right, 12:1 AFR at hot idle. Off idle 14.5-15.0:1, and WOT 13.0:1. I set the idle CO on the AFM to about 14.0:1, as any leaner affected idle quality. I did discover that I have NO cold start valve operation. The Thermo-Time Switch is getting no power, so I'll add that to the to-do list. I have power leaving the fuse box, but I haven't gone past that. The TTS appears to be functioning based on resistance checks. Also not sure if the Euro cold start valve circuit is the same as the US version. I'm just assuming at this point.

Also found my lower steering column flex joint is toast, and was causing an unhealthy amount of steering column slop.
Last edited by landspeed on Oct 04, 2023 3:23 PM, edited 1 time in total.
BoogerEater

Post by BoogerEater »

Very cool car, can't wait to see it with the front valance painted... sub'd