BC Racing coilovers have arrived!

Post your photos and videos here!
kzolee

Post by kzolee »

I think, that on the Ad photo there are undersized tyres, the exhaust is touching the asphalt, that car moves nowhere with this setup. ;)

If OP wants this kind of lowering for a photo, the Air suspension is a better solution. :roll:
Last edited by kzolee on Dec 06, 2013 7:11 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Sleeper21

Post by Sleeper21 »

undersized tires on lowered perches...That's Jt's car ;) That car was bought to develop the coil overs I believe
mgoblue

Post by mgoblue »

Bumping an old thread...for you guys running the BC's, are you happy with them? Any regrets?
clongo

Post by clongo »

No regrets here. Car is still riding great on them since I installed them.
epearce

Post by epearce »

Thanks to Matt at JustJap Australia, shorter coilover inserts were sent at no cost. New ones are approximately 60mm shorter, giving the height i wanted.

And it now tucks a decent amount of tyre without having to adjust preload from factory specs.

briianbernal

Post by briianbernal »

epearce wrote:Thanks to Matt at JustJap Australia, shorter coilover inserts were sent at no cost. New ones are approximately 60mm shorter, giving the height i wanted.

And it now tucks a decent amount of tyre without having to adjust preload from factory specs.

Is that at the lowest setting?
B7Turbo

Post by B7Turbo »

I just joined the group and ordered mine and can’t wait for spring to install them. :D
clongo

Post by clongo »

kzolee wrote:I think, that on the Ad photo there are undersized tyres, the exhaust is touching the asphalt, that car moves nowhere with this setup. ;)

If OP wants this kind of lowering for a photo, the Air suspension is a better solution. :roll:
The OP (me) never mentioned wanting my car on the ground. Having 400whp on tap while the car is laying on the ground seems pointless ;)
epearce

Post by epearce »

briianbernal wrote:
epearce wrote:Thanks to Matt at JustJap Australia, shorter coilover inserts were sent at no cost. New ones are approximately 60mm shorter, giving the height i wanted.

]
Is that at the lowest setting?
Rear has since dropped about 20mm. That photo doesn't have front coilovers fitted. Fronts will go lower than you can safely drive at. Currently have a 3mm gap between the top of the tyre and bottom of the guard when on full lock. And i can go about 40mm lower than this, but obviously i couldnt turn the wheel very far.

All this is without adjusting preload away from factory spec.
Dannyss

Post by Dannyss »

I know this was a thread about BC but i'm ordering Fortune-Auto from the local distributor here in Montreal.They be installed on my 1988 E28 535i
I've got to decide on spring rates. They're suggesting 10k/8k for a daily or 11k/9k for a bit firmer ride.
Any suggestions from you guys would help.

Thanks
D Unit

Post by D Unit »

Are the BC dampers the same diameter as the stock ones? In other words, could I buy the shorter BC dampers and modify them to fit into my strut housings?
clongo

Post by clongo »

D Unit wrote:Are the BC dampers the same diameter as the stock ones? In other words, could I buy the shorter BC dampers and modify them to fit into my strut housings?
No. You need their sleeves for the dampers. The dampers thread into the sleeves. That's how you adjust ride height.
D Unit

Post by D Unit »

clongo wrote:
D Unit wrote:Are the BC dampers the same diameter as the stock ones? In other words, could I buy the shorter BC dampers and modify them to fit into my strut housings?
No. You need their sleeves for the dampers. The dampers thread into the sleeves. That's how you adjust ride height.
Understood. But I was thinking about using their shorter dampers for those of us using a custom coilover kit and already have threaded sleeves over the strut body. I called BC yesterday and they said most of their dampers are 51mm, but do have 45mm dampers used on e30s which "could" fit.

Jay texted me yesterday and said e23 and e28 are both 44mm wide. The BC e30 dampers at $95 each could be a nice option versus buying shorter Bilstein/Koni inserts (325ix, g60) and then having them revalved.

I know. It's heresy and stanceworks --> is that way.
clongo

Post by clongo »

D Unit wrote:
clongo wrote:
Understood. But I was thinking about using their shorter dampers for those of us using a custom coilover kit and already have threaded sleeves over the strut body. I called BC yesterday and they said most of their dampers are 51mm, but do have 45mm dampers used on e30s which "could" fit.

Jay texted me yesterday and said e23 and e28 are both 44mm wide. The BC e30 dampers at $95 each could be a nice option versus buying shorter Bilstein/Koni inserts (325ix, g60) and then having them revalved.

I know. It's heresy and stanceworks --> is that way.
I should have explained it in a bit more detail. The strut is threaded. The strut sleeve is threaded on the inside, not the outside. So you adjust ride height by turning the complete strut in the tube.
Bobby Swoops

Re: BC Racing coilovers have arrived!

Post by Bobby Swoops »

Mine will arrive Monday. Thanks for the thread OP I got mine for a nice price shipped as well!
TheGraye28

Post by TheGraye28 »

I just got mine as well. Custom valved with swift springs, 7k F, 8k R. Will have to see how rides once together. Will be on the ground hopefully within 3 weeks after 10 months on jackstands.

JTV

Post by JTV »

Does anybody have pictures of the stock strut assembly prior to cutting? I just don't know where exactly I should be cutting at.
Shawnc16

Post by Shawnc16 »

You cut with about a 2" stub. The BC slips over top of the stub you left over, Its not a tight fit. The BC strut welds to the knuckle. Pretty simple.
charofire

Post by charofire »

How have the BC coilovers held up? Irrespective of the springs, how does the shock quality compare to that of a billy?
iamcreepingdeath

Post by iamcreepingdeath »

I'm gonna bump this thread from the dead, because I am looking into BC Racing camber plates.

BC Racing claims their camber plates ONLY work with their coilovers, and I am thinking that is BS.

OP, do you still have your BC coilovers? What is the diameter of the threaded shock shaft that goes through the camber plate? What does the bottom of the camber plate look like?

Thanks
LeiseyJr

Post by LeiseyJr »

iamcreepingdeath wrote: Apr 07, 2021 12:25 PM I'm gonna bump this thread from the dead, because I am looking into BC Racing camber plates.

BC Racing claims their camber plates ONLY work with their coilovers, and I am thinking that is BS.

OP, do you still have your BC coilovers? What is the diameter of the threaded shock shaft that goes through the camber plate? What does the bottom of the camber plate look like?

Thanks
They are probably compatible with E30 BC camber plates. If they fit the shock you are snugly around the shaft of the shock and sit on a shoulder, tighten without binding and fit the stock top hat bolt pattern. Theyll work. Don't see why you think it is bullshit that camber plates for a generic 3 piece coilover wouldn't be compatible with other shocks....
iamcreepingdeath

LeiseyJr wrote: Apr 08, 2021 12:45 AM They are probably compatible with E30 BC camber plates. If they fit the shock you are snugly around the shaft of the shock and sit on a shoulder, tighten without binding and fit the stock top hat bolt pattern. Theyll work. Don't see why you think it is bullshit that camber plates for a generic 3 piece coilover wouldn't be compatible with other shocks....
I think it is BS precisely for the reasoning you gave in your first three sentences. I agree with you. I don't see why BS camber plates wouldn't work with other shocks, at least with any spacers that may be needed...

What I am looking for is some proof, before I dump $200...
LeiseyJr

Post by LeiseyJr »

iamcreepingdeath wrote: Apr 08, 2021 10:26 AM
LeiseyJr wrote: Apr 08, 2021 12:45 AM They are probably compatible with E30 BC camber plates. If they fit the shock you are snugly around the shaft of the shock and sit on a shoulder, tighten without binding and fit the stock top hat bolt pattern. Theyll work. Don't see why you think it is bullshit that camber plates for a generic 3 piece coilover wouldn't be compatible with other shocks....
I think it is BS precisely for the reasoning you gave in your first three sentences. I agree with you. I don't see why BS camber plates wouldn't work with other shocks, at least with any spacers that may be needed...

What I am looking for is some proof, before I dump $200...
Forgot to mention it needs to somehow have a perch for the top spring. But ig you can fab that up or adapter something.

I’d at Ireland Engineering’s camber plates for e30, whether spec e30 or race ones, Vorshlag or Ground Control (these dudes have E28s ones)

E30 top hats are the same, might be better to go down one those routes IMO.
nik77356

Post by nik77356 »

BC Racing's Shock Shafts are a different diameter than most other Coilovers. That is why they won't work with most other Coilovers.
iamcreepingdeath

nik77356 wrote: Apr 09, 2021 9:55 AM BC Racing's Shock Shafts are a different diameter than most other Coilovers. That is why they won't work with most other Coilovers.
I just spoke w BC racing. The diameter of the threaded portion of their shock shafts for the E28 is 12mm, which is the same as the Koni shocks I have now, which is the same as the stock shocks. The length of the 12mm OD section is 110mm.

Given that information, I don't see how their camber plates cannot work with my E28 coilovers, so I am somewhat confused with BC Racing's insistence that their camber plates ONLY work with BC Racing shocks.
LeiseyJr wrote: Apr 08, 2021 10:59 AM E30 top hats are the same, might be better to go down one those routes IMO.
I currently have a home-made coilover system on my E28 with standard 2.5" Eibach springs and Koni yellow shocks, with standard 2.5" spring hats.