Overdue build thread

Post your photos and videos here!
packman21

Post by packman21 »

Very nice thread. Video was fun to watch.
Unique sub box indeed. Love it!
Das_Prachtstrasse

Post by Das_Prachtstrasse »

Little update for today. Fell quite ill with gastro last week, so got a little behind in my schedule but am back in action

On the mechanical side, I ordered new rear Bilstein sports, bump stops, pitman arms and sway bar links from bavauto, still waiting for them to arrive. Was generously sold a 3.46 LSD from another e28 buddy, (big shout out to you Craig), got a new diff mount to suit, and started cleaning up the diff for install.

Cosmetically, I tore into the front end, trial fitting the LaDue Hartge spoiler which arrived a few weeks ago, pleasantly surprised at how little work was involved in getting it to mount up nicely. The only drama I had was in fitment of the indicators, but discovered the trick is to just remove the gaskets, and they just slide on in.

Front bumper isn't mounted properly in these photo's but it gives you an idea.

Took the bonnet, bootlid and Hartge bar into work, put the bootlid in primer, and paint stripped the bonnet. Unfortunately I discovered a previous repair on the bonnet after the first coat of paintstripper, which made stripping it to bare metal a fair PITA. 2 tins of stripper, and about 4 hours with a wizzy and wire wheel got the old filler and paint off. It was at this point that I considered just getting a straight second hand replacement, however decided against it for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I just installed new bonnet insulator pads a few months ago, secondly it's already the right colour on the inside, and third, it's a good opportunity to get some hands on panel beating experience.

Spent about 3 hours on the repairs after work tonight, and it's coming along. Lead filled the worst of the dimples, and gave it a pretty good base for the etch primer I'll put on tomorrow night. Still have a little more lead work to do, but I'm quite pleased with my first attempt, and am confident it will turn out perfect. Regular filler will go over the primer, followed by putty and finally paint. Would be nice to have it done over the weekend, along with the bootlid and Hartge bar, but we'll see.. busy time of the year.

Here's some photo's of my first go at bodywork.

The whole area that had filler present can be seen below as the darker area on the bottom left of the bonnet. It was as thick as 1mm in spots, and the dimples left from the old repair were quite deep, so I definitely have some learning to do.
Here's my first go at lead work, using an oxy torch, and although a bit thick in places, adhered to the tin coating really well.
After the first lot of filing

And where I finished up this evening. There are still a few low spots I will probably drop some more lead into, but I'll finish the rest with body filler now that I'm satisfied the worst of the damage is repaired with lead, and the surface is again uniform.

EDIT: Got a little more done tonight after work, finished up the lead work and got it in filler. Filled the remaining pinholes, and called it a night, so i'll get back on it in the morning and primer it up.

Last edited by Das_Prachtstrasse on Dec 07, 2012 4:45 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Dinan e28

Post by Dinan e28 »

Looking good, cant wait for the finished results.
FREExSPIRIT

Post by FREExSPIRIT »

Wow this is looking amazing I love your engine i can't wait till i can start getting creative ! Keep it up man .
Das_Prachtstrasse

So I had the bootlid, and bonnet painted up over the last weekend, and they came out fantastic. I'm really pleased, and excited now as my confidence is settled in regards to having the body done by this painter. A really brilliant quality application, and credit to my workmate who painted them (for the price of a 4 pack of Bourbons!). The metallic depth is even, the clear peel is subtle and glassy, and my repairs and block work came out beautifully, (especially given the nature of the colour) so I'm well chuffed.

Got them home and on the car yesterday, and this evening I fit up the refinished rear spoiler, which i'm also really pleased with. Now i'm just waiting on a new bootlid badge to finish it off. I will wait to do the denibbing and polishing until the whole car is sprayed.

I picked up my parcel shelf from the auto upholsterers also. He did a great job wrapping the blind as it was from factory, and the carpet colour and pile is lush and very close to what I had envisioned. I just need to find some premium sound speaker pods to complete it. In a stroke of luck, I also discovered some scalloped rear headrests in a 528i at the yard over the weekend, and when I tore the custom felt covers off, found immaculate pearl beige leather underneath. 30 bucks, and the sable brown headrests have been replaced with the right colour ones!

As far as suspension work goes, I ordered new CV boots, which finishes off the parts list for the rear suspension, and once my Bavauto shipment arrives early next year, will tear into the rear end and finally get that sorted before completing the respray and starting the turbo build. Unfortunately it's an expensive season the ole Christmas, so I've gotta resist the temptation of buying too many presents for myself :laugh:
Das_Prachtstrasse

Painted and fitted the front bar today. It came out really well, especially given how I rushed the prep work on it. It sits about an inch lower in the front than the car did with the M5 spoiler, and does just scrape upon exiting the driveway forwards, so I'll be reversing out from now on. :roll: It just needs the side decals to finish it off now, so I'm itching to have the respray completed so I can fit them.

shagrath

Post by shagrath »

Car looks so sexy!
clongo

Post by clongo »

Beautiful! I'm also running Paul's replica hartge spoiler. Can't wait to see the whole car resprayed.
fastcrs

Post by fastcrs »

This is one of my favorite cars....keep up the good work! :up:
Das_Prachtstrasse

Small update for today. Replaced one taillight with a good one from pick a part, only to discover it's 'too' good.. Pretty much brand new, which now means I have to find another one as he other side isn't as rich colour wise. I'll have a go at polishing it up and see if that helps, first.

I received the premium sound rear deck speaker covers from member 'Motronic' (thankyou again buddy, they're exactly what I was after), which were never offered as an option in this country. Haven't attached them yet, as I have to locate some aftermarket speakers which will fit them, but I'm very pleased with how it completes the parcel shelf.

I also bit the bullet and cut my headlining to fit the factory roller blind mounting points, and am pleased to say it worked perfectly. It's not an easy thing, to cut into a perfectly good headliner. I had been using the dealer fitted mounting points up until now, which are simply little hooks screwed into the windscreen rubber, but these are much nicer, allow the blind to extend it's full amount and are of course OEM. Thanks to Pedi and Kohler for the mounting tips.

Pedi

Post by Pedi »

Your pictures does not work - none - something wrong?.

(It might be the computer I use @ work, IDK... I will visit thread tonight @ home..)
Das_Prachtstrasse

Pedi wrote:Your pictures does not work - none - something wrong?.

(It might be the computer I use @ work, IDK... I will visit thread tonight @ home..)
They seem to work fine for me, perhaps it's an issue on your end?
Pedi

Post by Pedi »

I can see them now. Really nice car you have there, really nice...
ldsbeaker

Post by ldsbeaker »

This is a fun thread to watch...

I really dig your new sig pic, too.

Just kinda wish it didn't get re-sized... (it IS too big for a sig in normal size, but it's a really great photo)
AT8M5

Post by AT8M5 »

ldsbeaker wrote:This is a fun thread to watch...I really dig your new sig pic, too.
That, looks, just, so, perfect! It must have taken balls to cut into the headliner. Congrats, the clip install turned out perfect. I have to install mine also, guess it's time for me to grow a pair! :rofl:

Karl
Das_Prachtstrasse

Thanks all. As I said, it was a real nervous moment getting the knife stuck in, but I'm glad I did as it really finishes it off and they were so simple to install there really is no way you could properlly stuff it up! It all just comes down to Making that first cut! I have a handful of night photos from a shoot we did over the weekend, once I play around with them a little bit ill upload them. The sig was just one my buddy messed around with, but it came out quite well.
Das_Prachtstrasse

I painted up the S3.46, and received (finally) the rest of the suspension parts from bavauto. Looking forward to getting it all refreshed, although not looking forward to actually replacing the trailing arm bushes..

A buddy of mine and I also went and took a couple of photo's over the weekend as he recently got a new camera and is beginning to focus on automotive photography. Most of them were a little grainy and had a lot of noise, but a few came out alright. These were taken around midnight. Paint is still straight off the gun on the bonnet and bootlid, but this self healing Glasurit clear is brilliant, and has really settled down to a beautifully glassy finish. Once the fellow who's painting my car gets back from holidays on Wednesday, we'll go ahead and do the rest of the car.

Pedi

Post by Pedi »

I REALLY love those photos!

Cool background, and a lovely car!

Nice paintjob too!
Das_Prachtstrasse

Started stripping the car for paint, and decided to get stuck into some of the smaller detail work whilst I have it off the car.

Began refreshing the headlights, and installed the chrome rings with the wiper stops as I need them now that the system is operational. They're going to come up quite well. I also rebuilt the RHS headlight wiper motor, as it was a little slow to react. I'll complete the other side tomorrow, although require some new clips to replace the original brittle ones that broke. Built myself a ghetto workbench, too.

Received and installed a brand new, and period correct Hartge gearknob, too. My other, e34 correct one will be for sale for drug money on eBay shortly.

unt0uchable

Post by unt0uchable »

Looking great Bob! Hope ya don't mind, I used the full size photo in your sig for my new work background. That's just an awesome shot man. Can't wait to see the finished details on this build.
Thatguy087

Post by Thatguy087 »

Very nice job with the car, it's looking awesome!
Das_Prachtstrasse

unt0uchable wrote:Looking great Bob! Hope ya don't mind, I used the full size photo in your sig for my new work background. That's just an awesome shot man. Can't wait to see the finished details on this build.
Thanks matey, and of course I don't mind! Ill have some more up soon when I get around to tidying them up a bit. Im entering the detail portion of this build, with the major cosmetic work out of the way, and it is the part ive been looking forward to the most.
Pedi

Post by Pedi »

Ahhh, finally update again!

I am looking forward to come home tonight to see the new pictures!! (I am still not allowed to see your pics @ work...)
Das_Prachtstrasse

Pedi wrote:Ahhh, finally update again!

I am looking forward to come home tonight to see the new pictures!! (I am still not allowed to see your pics @ work...)
Don't hold your breathe mate, only a snippet for now!
//grecko//

Post by //grecko// »

Great tread!!! Cant wait to see this beauty turbo!! What fuel management you will use???