1988 535is Ohio. 5/4/23 zender skirts and hood insulation

Post your photos and videos here!
SeattleGuy

Re: 1988 535is Columbus OH. 12/9/21 winter progress report

Post by SeattleGuy »

muleskinner wrote: Dec 10, 2021 11:28 AM Looking forward to seeing that red wrap.
Yah I love this projectm -- the wrap, the bags, all of it. And I too need to do my front valance by spring. I have lots of fun Bimmer memories from Columbus OH -- that pic I just posted last night was Short North/Vic Village '98/'99.
BDKawey

Re: 1988 535is Columbus OH. 12/9/21 winter progress report

Post by BDKawey »

SeattleGuy wrote: Dec 20, 2021 4:26 AM
muleskinner wrote: Dec 10, 2021 11:28 AM Looking forward to seeing that red wrap.
Yah I love this projectm -- the wrap, the bags, all of it. And I too need to do my front valance by spring. I have lots of fun Bimmer memories from Columbus OH -- that pic I just posted last night was Short North/Vic Village '98/'99.
Thanks Seattle, should have some good progress to share after new years. company shut down between christmas and the end of the year so plenty of time to press forward.

this past weekend I was able to test fit the wheels, photos are of the rear wider wheels fitted on the front and the back because immediately after fitting the front wheels I had decided to try the rears on because the fronts sunk in too much and I had room to go. Im pretty sure these wheels are 17x7.5 and 8.5 rather than 8.5/9.5 like I was sold. these wheels were offered as 17x8.5 et13 which is the exact fitment of my bbs CH wheels I previously showed. so ill be taking the tires off and measuring to get lips ordered this week to build these wheels to 8.5 et13 square.

ImageUntitled by Aaron Wey, on Flickr

this is with the rear wheel in the front. perfect width/offset to fill the arches.
also might stick with these 235/40 tires for the time being little fender roll and with the slight added camber from being lower they should fit well. they're Nitto NT05s which would be nice to rock for a bit and with airride there's no sense of stress to nail the tire size first try to have to adjust coilovers after changing tires.
Ripton

Re: 1988 535is Columbus OH. 12/20/21 OZ mito test fit

Post by Ripton »

Enjoying following this project. How are you liking the z3 short shifter? How many miles have you put on it? Any regrets? I am considering a short shift...
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

Ripton wrote: Dec 20, 2021 10:06 PM Enjoying following this project. How are you liking the z3 short shifter? How many miles have you put on it? Any regrets? I am considering a short shift...
I didnt personally do the mod and its been a long time since Ive driven a stock shifter. but ive driven this car probably 3-4k miles this year and its been well. seems like the engagement of second is short if that makes sense. but its still nice.
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

I wanna know what people think I should do with the shadowline right now. I like the black but chrome could look good.

right now it has everything blacked out (badly) except the rain gutters. we accidentally got a little acetone on one little part and it came right off, considering stripping it all off if it would be that easy. would likely be a good look contrasting with the polished lips on the mitos. I would likely leave the tail lights black since they're not half bad looking and the chrome underneath could be ugly.

so whats peoples' opinions on shadowline on lets say a zino car to keep it simple?

thanks!
Ordnator

Post by Ordnator »

I think shadow line over Zino looks better than chrome over Zino.

The black trim frames the Zino and focuses your attention on the colour so that it pops, whereas the chrome is fighting the Zino for your attention and detracts from the Zino.

Just my GB£0.02

Best regards,

Mick
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

Ordnator wrote: Jan 24, 2022 6:06 PM I think shadow line over Zino looks better than chrome over Zino.

The black trim frames the Zino and focuses your attention on the colour so that it pops, whereas the chrome is fighting the Zino for your attention and detracts from the Zino.

Just my GB£0.02

Best regards,

Mick
Can definitely agree with those points. chrome is nice and standard but I loved shadowline on my alpine white. with the dark tint on the car it leads me to leave it shadowed. tint is another ordeal because I dont particularly love how dark it is, but thats a problem for another time
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

my lips arrived after a long fedex delay from SRR Hardware, by far the cheapest place I found to buy OZ lips. came nicely packaged and look good and most importantly fit.

here is the current state of the car. body filler all completed and primed over. the next steps will be to wet sand the primer and anywhere else that I sanded out nibs and fisheyes from the paint. then we will be doing the air install before we actually wrap the car for the sake of safety for the wrap.

and this box arrived!
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

air install time!

chop your perch off and clean it up, I cleaned it better than this, just didnt take a picture at an opportune time.

my buddy did the welding, tigged quite nicely.

anti seized the threads since the midwest can be cruel. cleaning my wheel wells is definitely on my to do list but not in my friends garage or driveway :laugh: :rofl:

not the prettiest air management set up but the idea here was to go for discrete and functional. make a spare tire frame for the compressor and 3P management to live.

and the tank is mounted on the roof of the trunk, wrapped in carpet tiles that are atleast black, with the full trunk carpet in there it looks better. when you step back you can barely see the tank up there. making it sneaky and giving me a full functional trunk floor where nothing will contact the tank and damage a fitting.

air lines were all mounted with rubber insulated P clamps on the brake line and fuel return brackets, so no more holes needed to be drilled than what was absolutely necessary.

I have the front mitos all put together, just need to seal them up and get tires back on.

and we test fit the other wheels that didnt need new lips. just jacked it up for simplicity since getting it off and back on 4 jackstands is harder than just lifting the wheel. fronts fit awesome, rears touch tire a little sooner than I would like but these have 235/40/17 nitto nt05s on them. a meaty full tire for an 8.5 wide wheel. I will probably rock these tires for a season which is about all they have left in them before I potentially go down a size or 2.

next time I go there to work we should definitely be laying some wrap down. just have to wet sand a little primer and we're ready to go. its about to get a lot more exciting.
BDKawey

Re: 1988 535is Columbus OH. 2/21/22: CAtuned air ride install

Post by BDKawey »

this last weekend we got to work on laying some wrap down, finally! worked friday night, all day saturday, and half sunday. here is the progress. my friend did the hood and a fender while I watched and asked questions. after that we did panels together and then him almost leaving me on my own until I asked for help with difficult sections. but still mostly his handywork haha.

we were concerned with the windshield gasket but it wasnt bad at all actually, we cut it a few mm overlapping the gasket and then were able to simply lift seal up with your fingers and the vinyl fell right into place under it.

will have a colorful driveway this summer, my new daily in the background. 2022 civic sport touring hatch in boost blue.
Mdreamer

Re: 1988 535is Columbus OH. 3/7/22 vinyl has begun!

Post by Mdreamer »

The wrap looks great! Thank you for sharing.
Dale3783

Post by Dale3783 »

Nice job around the trunk. I always wondered if people do in there. Do you do the door jambs too? Under the hood?
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

Dale3783 wrote: Mar 14, 2022 8:23 AM Nice job around the trunk. I always wondered if people do in there. Do you do the door jambs too? Under the hood?
we are not doing jams or under the hood. basically doing everything necessary so that when its all closed up you wont see any silver.

when its all done ill have some detailed pictures.
WalterH

Post by WalterH »

I like this. I should probably wrap my current E28.
Spen

Post by Spen »

There is a YouTube channel called The Gunman and he demos a product line called Halo EFX and it is a liquid wrap, actual peelable paint, which can be sanded and polished.

It looks interesting and is love to experiment with it someday.
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

Spen wrote: Mar 20, 2022 2:04 PM There is a YouTube channel called The Gunman and he demos a product line called Halo EFX and it is a liquid wrap, actual peelable paint, which can be sanded and polished.

It looks interesting and is love to experiment with it someday.
if its anything like plasti-dip then its not worth making a mess on a car
Spen

Post by Spen »

I'd suggest taking a look at the video. It's actual paint.
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

had saturday free to work on the wrap some more and was able to get a few more panels done. had to roll this sides fender before wrap just in case some paint decided to chip or anything. 60 dollar amazon fender roller works just about as good as you'd imagine. the thing basically screws itsself apart as you use it so we modified it with a few cuts and welds and is better but not great. still ate up some time.

plan was to do the whole quarter and C pillar just like the other side in one piece but it took some clear off the C pillar while we were repositioning so we had to split it up along the body line. this is it also aired out on the wheels for the very first time.

transformation and assembly of the rear panel was satisfying, couldnt find the bumper trim screws at the time unfortunately, I imagine they're buried in my trunk somewhere in a baggie.

and had outside for the first time to see the color. roof, a pillars, mirrors and airdam is all thats left. and I plan to redo the top half of the passenger rear door because I trimmed it too close to the door trim by the window and you can see some silver. thats why the door moulding isnt on. im leaning towards the chrome look on this car. the chrome door moulding looks really good imo with the polished lips. it kinda connects the polished look between the front and rear wheels.
Mdreamer

Re: 1988 535is Columbus OH. 5/9/22 little bit more vinyl

Post by Mdreamer »

Thanks for sharing! The progress that you've made looks good. I agree with you about going back to the chrome trim for the reasons that you cited.
funkycharms

Post by funkycharms »

Looks good. Do you plan to bring the trunk badges back when done?
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

funkycharms wrote: May 09, 2022 5:20 PM Looks good. Do you plan to bring the trunk badges back when done?
Yes! Badges definitely coming back. Everything else looking so good its making my bumpers and roundel look pretty dingy. Bumpers might get a strip polish and clear if it bugs me enough.
BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

Had like, an hour over the weekend to wrap something so I started on the bumper just to make any kind of progress. its not much but good to see the process of the bumper, each hole feature in the air dam will probably be done in 1-4 pieces. I did the fog light in 1 piece but it was annoying and not worth the struggle to me. more progress to come this memorial day weekend.

BDKawey

Post by BDKawey »

made some satisfying progress over the weekend. I'm thinking just one more weekend of work and ill bring it home.

got the rear bumper trim on, still needs the spoiler and badges.

got the air dam all wrapped, this thing ended up being like 30 pieces of vinyl. did it 95% by myself and I'm pretty proud of it.

After all the inside parts and middle was done, I ran all the knifeless tape (not pictured) and mounted it up so that the left and right pieces could be stretched over it and then take off to be finished on the saw horse.

then I got the whole front end together, been anxiously waiting for this moment and it looks awesome. fresh e30 m3 fog lenses from FCP, wish I would have cleaned the grills off for photos. under all that dust is fresh sem paint.

got the A pillars both finished as well, wrapping under the windshield gasket starts by degreasing the gasket as well as under it. ive been wrapping a card in a microfiber and just running it unde/along the gasket under atleast the bottom (body side) is clean. after its clean, run the knifeless tape on the gasket just on the edge so you have a few mm to tuck in. I run one of those automotive picks along under the gasket and the vinyl falls right into place.

only the finest of cards will do :laugh:

and the final product for the weekend. just the roof/sunroof, mirrors, and also going to redo the top half of one of the doors because it got trimmed too close at the top and some silver is exposed.

bonus pic of the daily after being paint corrected and 5 year ceramic coated.
dsw99a

Re: 1988 535is Columbus OH. 5/31/22 air dam wrapped and assembly

Post by dsw99a »

Im absolutely blown-away with the results. :clap:

Great job.

why does anybody paint anymore?
BDKawey

Re: 1988 535is Columbus OH. 5/31/22 air dam wrapped and assembly

Post by BDKawey »

dsw99a wrote: Jun 01, 2022 2:02 AM Im absolutely blown-away with the results. :clap:

Great job.

why does anybody paint anymore?
thank you! durability is definitely a factor to debate so we'll see on that. I plan to ceramic coat it to help minimize washes and scratches.