Turbo Cowtipping (my F.I. build) 2/2014 addendum

Discussion pertaining to positive pressure E28s.
Nebraska_e28
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Nebraska_e28 »

T_C_D wrote:ITBs with the b24 cam and 4hp22?
e12 intake, e28 TB, stock m30b34, 4hp22 w/3K tq conv (for now)

Fabbing up some simple brackets for the fuel rail, & trying to figure a way to extend the cruise control cable.
scarey013

Post by scarey013 »

Just curious why you're going with the E12 intake when other members have tested them to be inferior to the later B35 units?

Edit: Actually, there are multiple threads that argue that fact and they come out to opposing conclusions. I wonder if anyone has actually flow tested them?

Here's one in support of the older manifold:
http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=83466&highlight=

I believe that Lito had dynos made with both manifolds and found the B35 to be better flowing, but I don't know if he changed his set-up between runs. I can't find the thread, though...

Scott
nerd of nerds

Post by nerd of nerds »

scarey013 wrote:Just curious why you're going with the E12 intake when other members have tested them to be inferior to the later B35 units?

Edit: Actually, there are multiple threads that argue that fact and they come out to opposing conclusions. I wonder if anyone has actually flow tested them?

Here's one in support of the older manifold:
http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=83466&highlight=

I believe that Lito had dynos made with both manifolds and found the B35 to be better flowing, but I don't know if he changed his set-up between runs. I can't find the thread, though...

Scott
One thing to take into account with the E12 manifold is that one can install different runners on it. If memory serves, you can use parts from two M10 manifolds of similar vintage to give the E12 intake longer runners, theoretically moving peak torque to lower RPM. I recall Paul B mentioning this setup somewhere here.

One thing that really interests me about the E12 manifold is the modularity of it. If one were so inclined, they could fab up a larger plenum, custom runners, etc.

Perhaps a large sheet metal plenum with a laminova intercooler?

Either way, it's just a damned sexy manifold.
Nebraska_e28
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Nebraska_e28 »

scarey013 wrote:Just curious why you're going with the E12 intake when other members have tested them to be inferior to the later B35 units?
Honestly, I wanted to do something off the beaten path. I've never seen a e28 with an e12 intake. When's the last time anyonne else has seen one. ;) For the setup/mods I have in mind, I think it'll be a while before the manifiold holds me back from making power.
nerd of nerds wrote: One thing to take into account with the E12 manifold is that one can install different runners on it. If memory serves, you can use parts from two M10 manifolds of similar vintage to give the E12 intake longer runners, theoretically moving peak torque to lower RPM.
Correct on the M10 parts. (which I have yet to source) It'll be interesting to see how things run when its all put back together. (within the week?)
nerd of nerds wrote:

Either way, it's just a damned sexy manifold.
You can say that again! :pimp:
Nebraska_e28
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Nebraska_e28 »

Shit just gets deeper... :roll:

Nebraska_e28
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Nebraska_e28 »

Yet another random pic. Getting down to the wire in making it to the Vintage... :?

1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

Chattanooga Choo Choo
Nebraska_e28
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Nebraska_e28 »

Pulled a 36hr day fri/sat & another long haul sunday. Things are coming together. Slowly...

Intake, fuel rail, fpr installed. Driveshaft & exhaust back in. Things may get a tad tricky making my e34 IC work due to the throttle body sitting further off center than the e28 tb. I may be able to fudge things w/o trimming the charge pipes (hopefully).

A few things I learned today:

1. A bad misfire will cause a fpr to not work correctly in addition to the pressure gauge to be wonky.

2. Loose banjo bolts love to spray fluid.

3. The e12 intake sits higher than the e28 model thus causing my custom strut bar to no longer fit. :bawl: Watch the FS section.

4. Clear shower curtain & all purpose trim adhesive work excellent for vapor barrier!
Nebraska_e28
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Nebraska_e28 »

ImageImage

Testing out the Turbo Cowtipping, but not enough boost. Need to revisit my maps. I suspect I didnt have enough VE....
ImageImage

Another item rarely seen on an e28 (if ever?)
M. Holtmeier

Post by M. Holtmeier »

Looks good! Is the coolant bottle staying?

What's so offensive about that plate? Looks like equal opportunity to me!
Nebraska_e28
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Nebraska_e28 »

M. Holtmeier wrote:Looks good! Is the coolant bottle staying?

What's so offensive about that plate? Looks like equal opportunity to me!
I'm not sure, still have 1 small tweak to see how well it works out. I suspect it may go away though since my next iteration of this project will utilize that real estate.
Nebraska_e28
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Nebraska_e28 »

No major updates, just doing a refresh on the front suspension to fix a minor shimmy under breaking.

Also, I decided to switch from spax springs to an mtech set that I've had laying around. Will see how things look when swapped.
M. Holtmeier

Post by M. Holtmeier »

Nebraska_e28 wrote:No major updates, just doing a refresh on the front suspension to fix a minor shimmy under breaking.
This reminds me of something I need to do...
T_C_D

Post by T_C_D »

Nebraska_e28 wrote:
Also, I decided to switch from spax springs to an mtech set that I've had laying around. Will see how things look when swapped.
:bawl:
Nebraska_e28
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Nebraska_e28 »

T_C_D wrote:
Nebraska_e28 wrote:
:bawl:
Tell me about it. I love the look, & the ride of the spax! A major deciding factor (be it right or wrong) in making the switch is tire wear on the inside of the front/rears due to camber. Recently I installed an adjustable rear subframe in effort to reduce this, but have yet to see the results. As for the front, I'm unsure if a 1/2" raise will bring camber closer to spec & allow my tires to last a bit longer. I'd guess I put maybe 10-15k miles on my first set.

Todd, what are your experiences with tire wear & spax?

\edit (under normal driving & minimal to no burnouts) :oops:
Nebraska_e28
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Nebraska_e28 »

A few have asked about my fuel rail setup. Below are some crappy cell phone pics. I used a regular e28 fuel rail. I ground off the mount for the stock fpr. Then cut the hose barb off a spare fuel rail I had laying around. Took these to a welder & had him braze the barb onto the spot where the fpr mount was removed. Pretty simple. In retrospect, I should've used an e34 rail since it doesnt have the line on the bottom of the rail for a cold start injector. I'm just running summit racing 42lbs injectors which should be enough for my boost levels.

Oh and to hold the fuel rail down on the intake manifold, I fabbed up some small 90deg brackets. It looks totally stock & is quite secure. Props to Paul @Moosehead Engineering for boring out the e12 manifold to accept normal e28 style fuel injectors.

1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

Luv coming back here LJ. Thanks for the bump and additional pics.
Nanajoth

Post by Nanajoth »

I like that red wrinkle intake!
Nebraska_e28
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Nebraska_e28 »

Update! I just had another o2 shit the bed on my way back from Flat Out in Topeka. This crap is ridiculous! I think this will be the 3rd or 4th one now. My plan is to warranty out the sensor & then contact Innovative. If I don't get any traction there, I'll be making a prompt move to AEM.
jodystevens

Post by jodystevens »

This looks good! You need better pics of that fuel rail setup, from what I can tell it looks great!

Were the injector holes milled out or just drilled or what? I need to get this done for the e12 turbo project.
sideways7

Post by sideways7 »

where is your o2 located? we have used many innovates without too much issue. we do prefer the aem for simplicity though
Nebraska_e28
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Nebraska_e28 »

sideways7 wrote:where is your o2 located? we have used many innovates without too much issue. we do prefer the aem for simplicity though
Its about 2' down stream of the turbo.
Nebraska_e28
Beamter
Beamter

Re: Turbo Cowtipping (my F.I. build) 2/2014 addendum

Post by Nebraska_e28 »

Well it's been a while since I updated on the status of things. On the way down to Vintage my tranny started giving up the ghost while tearing up Tail of the Dragon. Luckily I was able to baby it all the way to NC & the return trip back home. It lived a long life given the abuse I've put it through, but since the initial rebuild back in 2009 there were a couple things that just 'weren't right' with it. :evil: I'm in the process now of making a few changes while performing my own personal partial rebuild. Details to follow...
Nebraska_e28
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Nebraska_e28 »

Time for a non-update kinda update. Last night I started prep on an m106 that I bought apx 2yrs back. Come to find out some coolant seeped into 2 chambers. Block is toast. :evil: I could over-bore with new pistons but not in the cards. Time to re-think things.
wickz80

Post by wickz80 »

Awesome thread, had no idea about the e12 intake.