E28 Megasquirt FAQ

Discussion pertaining to positive pressure E28s.
alijonny

Post by alijonny »

beautiful. now you are speaking my language!
Brad D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Brad D. »

I finally decided to get out of the dark ages of ancient beta code and try out Tuner Studio. Now I wish I hadn't waited so long. Oh well.
bornagain

Post by bornagain »

brad you did change your trigger offset when you upgraded, right? hahah

Brad why is your dwell set so low?
I know you said you phoned about your coil packs but 3 for cranking and 2.1 for maximum seems low when mwextra says 6 cranking and 3.5 max running.

Also did you do a read over of the body? i noticed one point it refers to the "newer 2.0 code" did you mean 3.0.x code?
Scottinva

Post by Scottinva »

2.1.0 is the code Brad is running, because its the newest I guess you could say "backed" release. I gave him some pointers on what changed, and he got up to speed, and his car is running great on 2.1.0.
bornagain

Post by bornagain »

ahh yes i was just refering to the fact that they had the 2.0.1 code then the 2.1.0 code and the 2.1.1 beta that im running and really like. It felt smoother just changing over and starting it with no tune changes. On the other hand i have no idea about the 3.0.x codes and i really stray from anything that has the word alpha associated with it.
Scottinva

Post by Scottinva »

After having talked to Peter, I plan to make the jump from 2.1.1B to 3.0.3Q once I get a wideband back (mind failed and had to be returned. It has new map sampling, and has a map lag factor which helps throttle and such.
bornagain

Post by bornagain »

im pretty sure that the 2.1.1b code had that all "upgraded" in it ass swell. I noticed a way smoother idle and correction rate in mine when i switched to the 2.1.1b
Scottinva

Post by Scottinva »

bornagain wrote:im pretty sure that the 2.1.1b code had that all "upgraded" in it ass swell. I noticed a way smoother idle and correction rate in mine when i switched to the 2.1.1b
Ya 2.1.1B did improve idle and other things, however the 3.0.3 actually does improve on 2.1.1b quite a bit itself. It once again improves idle, but the biggest thing is that map lag factor, and calulation thing. I know going from 2.1.1b to 3.0.3q you have to retune the fuel ve, it's like the first version change i've seen where you actually have to retune, but the 3.0.0 series is the future, 2.0.0 series is done. So i'm making the leap, since I have to retune with my wideband anyway.
FirstFives Dictator

Post by FirstFives Dictator »

Scott, I thought you were running 211a not b.

I noticed no difference from 211b to 303n
FirstFives Dictator

bornagain wrote:im pretty sure that the 2.1.1b code had that all "upgraded" in it ass swell. I noticed a way smoother idle and correction rate in mine when i switched to the 2.1.1b
Did you set map lag factor to 100?
bornagain

Post by bornagain »

i did i did and i also set batt, clt, mat to 100 and bumped lambda up to 60. That has all helped but i am once again having problems with my vr circuit, it has started randomly dropping out at high load but it might also be a fuel issue, but the car dies out and i get a couple back fires and then it resumes working. so i am going to try to tune my pots. But i may have to order a couple new ones, one of them, cant tell you if its 52 or 56 off hand, doesnt click, never could find my starting point of back to the click and one turn forward....... what do you guys think could it have gone bad?

EDIT:
Here is a data log from this afternoon, about 3/4 the way you will see a whole crap load of lost sync.... just right click and go to the lost sync (if you have it as one of the feilds) and go to 122.
http://www.mediafire.com/?ogdjzw3m4hq
Scottinva

Post by Scottinva »

FirstFives Dictator wrote:Scott, I thought you were running 211a not b.

I noticed no difference from 211b to 303n
Ah your correct, I get getting mixed up. 211A to 303 is the jump I was going to do.
bornagain

Post by bornagain »

ahh that all makes sence and now that i have thought about my car a bit more i think i may be getting spark blow out that is causing the sync loss, not sync loss causing no spark.
Brad D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Brad D. »

bornagain wrote:brad you did change your trigger offset when you upgraded, right? hahah

Brad why is your dwell set so low?
I know you said you phoned about your coil packs but 3 for cranking and 2.1 for maximum seems low when mwextra says 6 cranking and 3.5 max running.

Also did you do a read over of the body? i noticed one point it refers to the "newer 2.0 code" did you mean 3.0.x code?
I talked to someone at MSD and the 2.1ms dwell was what they recommended. I actually bumped my cranking dwell up to 4.5ms today.

I also went through the text and did some housekeeping.
bornagain

Post by bornagain »

cool maybe i can get your help on my problem when i finish writing the thread....
FirstFives Dictator

I just tried out the lastest TunerStudioMS with Live VE Analyze
Very nice!
Brad D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Brad D. »

Wow, thanks for the heads up! I'm gonna have to try it out tomorrow.
FirstFives Dictator

Big Bronze Rim wrote:Wow, thanks for the heads up! I'm gonna have to try it out tomorrow.
Of course I haven't compared the Live answer to a datalogged answer yet. :facepalm:
Brad D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Brad D. »

Wow, thanks for the heads up! I'm gonna have to try it out tomorrow.
Scottinva

Post by Scottinva »

This seems neat, I want to play with it tomorrow.
bornagain

Post by bornagain »

yes, i really like the interface and i like that it has offset for delay on the o2 for more then one setting. havent really used it yet though as im still having connection issues.
M. Holtmeier

Post by M. Holtmeier »

Screw you guys, I'm gonna play with it right now!
bornagain

Post by bornagain »

just bought a new dynex usb to serial cable.... 60$ better be the solve i was looking for. Tuned my pots in the other day and the signal is damn near perfect. i think from gap to tooth there is about .5% - 1% difference on the time and when it is finding the missing tooth its finding it all and registering nothing extra on the teeth on either side. Befor now i had about a 7-10% difference on time and a bit of overlap on the teeth on either side of the missing tooth. Wish me luck all, if it isnt this im not sure where else to go other then rip the board out and start replacing randon serial connection components.
marc79euro645

Post by marc79euro645 »

try setting rpm averaging lag factor to 30 from50 default
this along with tuning pots & new sheilded cable worked for me
good luck
marc
bornagain

Post by bornagain »

turned out it was the cable but the new one i bought didnt work at all, it would restart my computer if it was unplugged. I have the cable from diy which is a 2 peice cable one for the adapter and an extension peice for the usb cable, well the usb cable was bad so i found an old serial cable extension cord i had and i have no troubles with ts anymore. I still have a minor miss and alot of noise in my sensors but other then that the car is awesome.