E28 Turbo FAQ

Discussion pertaining to positive pressure E28s.

Post by 777665 »

im headed down turbo street this year as well.
Sebambam

Re: E28 Turbo FAQ

Post by Sebambam »

since its 2015 now..
are you guys recommend any new Kits on the market for a M30??
would be great to get a feedback

probably looking into a turbo build with my e28
T_C_D

Post by T_C_D »

Sebambam wrote:since its 2015 now..
are you guys recommend any new Kits on the market for a M30??
I would say that the chance of anyone new supporting the m30 is slim to none.
Hffvdbl

Post by Hffvdbl »

Brad, this is a really great and super helpful FAQ. I know its been a while but thank you for taking the time to write and update it for our reading satisfaction and technical assistance.

I have referenced the information here many time sin my turbo build.

-Gary
mintus

Post by mintus »

I had used TCD for my E24......if I knew what I know now it would have been different.

The start to a turbo job on any car is to know what is your limiting factors. From this point, you will have more knowledge of what and were to go for more or less. The biggest downfall I had experienced was the parts and pieces to the turbo system being out of date for power and efficiency. To have to redo such things as a clutch is a big job, to be limited to a small turbo is a bad job, I am able to speak in volumes regarding my experience with TCD. The best I can say is to map out what you have to work with. Note the limits of the weakest part, understand the age of moving parts, especially electrical. Over compensate for the fuel pressure, turbo size, exhaust pipe, inner cooler and stand alone management system. I have increased my turbo from 60 mm to 65mm impeller, I have removed my cam and springs to a turbo cam and double springs, I am now in the process of putting larger injectors fro 450 to 750 cc. looking for the best choice here, if you are able to help that would be great...thanks.
Safety shane

Post by Safety shane »

looking to turbo a 535is. the engine is at 271k. Would I be safe boosting this engine or should I find another motor and rebuild it. If so whats a good price on engines?
UltraSheen

Post by UltraSheen »

Garret link to turbo basics has changed:
https://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/basic
Sector9

Post by Sector9 »

Safety shane wrote: Jan 11, 2017 2:23 PM looking to turbo a 535is. the engine is at 271k. Would I be safe boosting this engine or should I find another motor and rebuild it. If so whats a good price on engines?
I'd just run a compression test and see where you're at. If it's low then I wouldn't turbo charge it without deglazing the cylinders, new rings, new rod bearings and such.

Also, unrelated but I figured I'd ask in here rather than make a new thread. In an unopened M30b34 with a Hx35 turbo, how much boost pressure can you run with stock piston ring gap before you run into problems?