E28 Turbo FAQ

Discussion pertaining to positive pressure E28s.
Brad D.
Beamter
Beamter

Re: exhaust

Post by Brad D. »

turbodan wrote:Might as well go 3" so you dont have to do it again down the road.
x2
slow5

turbo

Post by slow5 »

yeah thats what i thought i wanted to do 3" cuz i have 2 1/2 now and its made a huge difference.... so i cant imagine the difference with a 3" an turbo. Im using a toyota ct26, does anyone know much about these... someone said it was a BIG turbo but it doesnt seem like it... its out of a supra
Scottinva

Post by Scottinva »

It's certainly not a "huge" turbo. I have a few in my garage, I have never seen a map for this turbo. It was apparently actually made by Toyota.
Brad D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Brad D. »

Ya, the CT26 is definitely not what I would consider a big turbo at all. Maps for this are scarce to non-existent but from what I've read it is similar to a T04E 40 trim wheel which, IMO is too small for an M30 powered car. I would also think that the turbine housing is way to small for decent breathing on a 3.5L engine.

turbodan

Post by turbodan »

Looks like the Supra CT26 uses a 1.81" inducer, while the 40 trim T04E uses a 1.87" inducer, so the CT26 is even a bit smaller.
slow5

turbo

Post by slow5 »

hmm well i picked it up for 40 bucks n its really quite clean, i dont have an m powered one either its just a 535is but it rips... n i dont wanna run a lot of boost prob just 8-10psi so you think that will be efficient enough?
turbodan

Post by turbodan »

Maybe 6-8 would be alright. The compressor side wont be efficient but it'll work. The turbine could be too small, but since it was designed for a 24v 3 liter motor, I think it could be alright for a 12v 3.4l. If you really want to use it, go ahead.
Scottinva

Post by Scottinva »

I think it uses some weird format for the flange, I may go take a look later. I think I remember hearing something about buying the right size flange was somewhat difficult.
George

Post by George »

CNC a flange.

That bitch should spool pretty damn quickly.
slow5

turbo

Post by slow5 »

i have a full machine shop and everything i just needed to know if it would be decent or if i should invest in a different turbo
Brad D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Brad D. »

My advice is always what most don't usually want to hear. If you are going to the trouble to fab up a manifold/adapter/etc. then do it right and make it for the best turbo you can afford. It truly is the "heart" of the system and really isn't where you want to skimp. With that being said, the turbo would probably be fine for a low boost setup, but power is addicting and at some point you are going to find that you want to upgrade and it will require a lot of additional fab work.
slow5

turbo

Post by slow5 »

yeah thats true... hmmm now i have to ponder this.......... thanks for the advice!
Scottinva

Post by Scottinva »

The way I look at it, the turbo is the last place you would want to skimp. I mean it is the heart of the system. You are "turboing" a car.
nirajb_uk

528i turbo?

Post by nirajb_uk »

Hi all,

I was just wondering is it possible to fit a turbo to a 528i, and if it is, where can i get parts from etc..?

Thanks,

Niraj
Xenocide

Re: 528i turbo?

Post by Xenocide »

nirajb_uk wrote:Hi all,

I was just wondering is it possible to fit a turbo to a 528i, and if it is, where can i get parts from etc..?

Thanks,

Niraj
:facepalm:
read the turbo FAQ, not post the same question a couple threads higher. TCD is probably the best place to start.
Frybrid 524td

Post by Frybrid 524td »

G Pop Shop also sells many turbos.

http://www.gpopshop.com/index.html
Brad D.
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Brad D. »

Frybrid 524td wrote:G Pop Shop also sells many turbos.

http://www.gpopshop.com/index.html
I have also heard that they are also a reliable source of quality rebuild kits.
QBANG

Post by QBANG »

Gpop is 5 miles from my house. Hear good things from my buddy thats a simi pro drag racer. He is running one they built on his 800hp Falcon.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Hey brad I was wondering about clutches and notice there is not clutch info here.
It would be totally radical if you could include some like how much power do stock ones hold and where to get some good ones at etc.

Mostly m30 I know m20b25 will hold 5psi if you're lucky.
I had a tcd 380tq rated clutch I think uuc made it was awesome felt like stock and it slipped on the dyno at about 380ft too. But I don't think tcd uses uuc anymore. ?
SpeakerBox

Post by SpeakerBox »

fuck it... im down for some boost :cool:
123zorn

Thoughts

Post by 123zorn »

Has anyone bolted the E34 535i head up to the E28 block? Should lower compression to allow for higher boost and provide better breathing overall so that the efficiency increases.

Just a thought...
M. Holtmeier

Re: Thoughts

Post by M. Holtmeier »

123zorn wrote:Has anyone bolted the E34 535i head up to the E28 block? Should lower compression to allow for higher boost and provide better breathing overall so that the efficiency increases.

Just a thought...
BTDT. Stick with a b34 or b35 long block.
123zorn

Re: Thoughts

Post by 123zorn »

M. Holtmeier wrote: BTDT. Stick with a b34 or b35 long block.
Now why would you stick with a single long block vs mixing heads and short blocks? It would be helpful to provide more info other than just a blanket statement...

The later model heads flow quite a bit better and have a larger chamber volume for reduced compression. Combining the larger bore and shorter stroke of the B34 short block + the larger chamber and better flow of the B35 head would appear to offer the best opportunity for particularly higher boost options while minimizing detonation issues.
M. Holtmeier

Post by M. Holtmeier »

There's a lot of info already posted in the FI section about hybrid setups. Basically, these engines seem to do well with detonation without having to drop the CR below 8. On my current b34, I cut the head to accept b35 valves and went with an aftermarket camshaft. You could also use a b35 camshaft in a b34 head to help with flow. Camshaft selection is also a key subject in here too. I think my dyno plot is posted in the sticky along with Brad's; we made similar power, yet I believe he was running more timing and had a point and a half more compression. I remember fighting det on my hybrid setup just the same as I did with a bone stock b34.
Alexander36

Post by Alexander36 »

somebody have the interest information about swap turbo m50 in e28 ?