666 Turbo Manifold (other tubular options?)

Discussion pertaining to positive pressure E28s.
Jantz2002

666 Turbo Manifold (other tubular options?)

Post by Jantz2002 »

I am trying my best to get my hands on a high quality tubular top mount turbo manifold for my 1987 535is turbo build (I want to keep my A/C). As I understand it the 666 or "Triple Six" manifolds were very good but no longer made. On the M30 forced induction page on FB I saw a guy by the name of Jim G. post that he purchased the original Jig for the 666 manifolds and takes orders for them with a 6 week turn around, he also mentioned that they should clear factory A/C lines (this was posted about 6 months ago). Has anyone talked to him or knows if he is on this forum? I have the cash ready to go just need to find one. I know Rapidspool also makes tubular manifolds. Might have to go with them.

TIA for any responses, wisdom, guidance etc.
euroshark90

Re: 666 Turbo Manifold (other tubular options?)

Post by euroshark90 »

Check out PPF. They have a great mild steel or stainless tubular manifold. You can order in t3 or t4
iamcreepingdeath

Post by iamcreepingdeath »

I'm gonna jump in here because I am looking for the same thing.

The TCD one is stinking $700 for a hunk of cast iron!! So that's a hard pass for me.

From the post above, I found the PPF one at $734, and that is for the non-stainless option: http://server.pure-pf.com/webshop2/en/m ... ifold.html

Also, there are several on Ebay, here is one from Finland at around $600: https://www.ebay.com/itm/313239676470?s ... 1438.l2649

Here is one at rapidspool industries for $500: http://www.rapidspoolindustries.com/51- ... rbo-flange

And so far the cheapest options I have found are these two:

From Redline center at $300: https://www.redlinecenter.com/en/store/ ... o-manifold

And Aliexpress at $290: https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000965463557.html

So... Why the huge price gap? Are the aliexpress and Redline ones really that much poorer quality? What makes the PFF one so expensive?

The overarching question I have is why the heck are M30 turbo headers so hard to find compared to M20 and M50 headers? I thought M30 motors were the best for turbocharging.
Jantz2002

Post by Jantz2002 »

I appreciate the feedback. I am working with a shop that produces hand made manifolds for m20 m50 etc. The owner has an e28 himself and is building a high quality manifold for me that is intended for use on the e28 chassis. My understanding is this manifold will be the first one but he is building the jig and will make it an option on his website for future orders. I will post the results here if all goes well.
iamcreepingdeath

Jantz2002 wrote: Nov 11, 2021 11:48 AM I appreciate the feedback. I am working with a shop that produces hand made manifolds for m20 m50 etc. The owner has an e28 himself and is building a high quality manifold for me that is intended for use on the e28 chassis. My understanding is this manifold will be the first one but he is building the jig and will make it an option on his website for future orders. I will post the results here if all goes well.
Yes PLEASE do. Also, might you be offering a "weld it yourself" kit for the turbo manifold? That would be very cool for the more handy cheapskates among us...
iamcreepingdeath

Bumping this thread, as it seems things have gotten even worse in the M30 turbo manifold department, as TCD is now closing its doors, and the tubular manifold on ebay just went from $400 to $700: https://www.ebay.com/itm/333549358427?s ... 1438.l2649

It still baffles me that you can find M20 and M50 turbsky manifolds all day long for like $300, but inexplicably, the M30 gets no love.
Badger

Post by Badger »

I may be selling a good & tight tubular manifold in the near future and turbo parts, engine ect . . .
turbodan

Post by turbodan »

iamcreepingdeath wrote: Oct 20, 2021 2:09 PM I'm gonna jump in here because I am looking for the same thing.

The TCD one is stinking $700 for a hunk of cast iron!! So that's a hard pass for me.
Do you have any idea what it costs to produce any given quantity of cast iron manifolds? How about a quality tubular manifold?

You want decent parts for Aliexpress prices? Are you serious?
iamcreepingdeath

turbodan wrote: May 19, 2022 1:52 PM
iamcreepingdeath wrote: Oct 20, 2021 2:09 PM I'm gonna jump in here because I am looking for the same thing.

Do you have any idea what it costs to produce any given quantity of cast iron manifolds? How about a quality tubular manifold?

You want decent parts for Aliexpress prices? Are you serious?
Oh I definitely understand the costs to manufacture things, it is entirely dependent on volume of production, and has hardly any bearing on the actual part itself (comparatively). For someone to tool up and produce one cast manifold would cost tens of thousands, for example, but to produce tens of thousands of manifolds, each one may cost $50.

I also understand basic economics, and if people are buying cast manifolds for $700, then they are absolutely worth every penny of that. However, I would still love to get my hands on a tubular manifold for more along the lines of $400, and theoretically that should be possible, given sufficient production volume. For example, tubular manifolds for much more popular turbo applications like Hondas etc are far cheaper, entirely because of volume of production, and supply and demand. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem the case for M30 turbo manifolds.

So yes, I absolutely want decent parts for Aliexpress prices!
Dirtym30

Post by Dirtym30 »

Mint performance makes one but it’s $$$.

I will be keeping an eye on this post because I’m also in search of a high quality manifold.

It’s likely I will go with mint performance but I’m open to the guy with the 666 fab jig if he is on here.
Nebraska_e28
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Nebraska_e28 »

I have a NEW never used 666 manifold for the m30 that I've been sitting on for quite some time. It may be had from my hands for the right price if anyone is interested. Keep in mind what these cost new. :cool:
iamcreepingdeath

Looks like a new turbsky manifold just hit the market, looks like a cast unit from overseas:

https://www.thekangaroosteam.com/shop-1 ... -cast-iron

But still around $700 shipped... oog
BONDOSPECIAL

Post by BONDOSPECIAL »

Unlike the cast log turbo manifold I have, that new one that was just posted looks like it might have some engineering into it. Very interesting.
Jantz2002

Post by Jantz2002 »

Dirtym30 wrote: May 23, 2022 8:31 PM Mint performance makes one but it’s $$$.

I will be keeping an eye on this post because I’m also in search of a high quality manifold.

It’s likely I will go with mint performance but I’m open to the guy with the 666 fab jig if he is on here.
I thought I would update on the manifold that was made for me. The Mint Performance manifold that is on their website is the one that is currently on my vehicle (1987 BMW 535is). It is/was the first one made and I thought I could give some feedback.

1. Experience: The company itself was difficult to work with, missed dates, no updates, standoffish responses etc. I get that R&D is a long and trying process so missed dates are whatever but getting information/updates was like pulling teeth.

2. Design: I did not like where the Waste gate provision was placed. All M30 tubular manifolds have the waste gate provision facing the firewall of the vehicle. Mint decided to put it on the opposite side facing the headlight. If I was running a screamer pipe to the ground from the wastegate that would make sense but I wanted to recirculate to the dump pipe. I ended up moving my wastegate to my turbo housing to accomplish this.

3. Execution: one of the runners on the manifold actually ran into one of the bolts for the motor mount, this caused the manifold to not be able to sit flush with the exhaust port surface on the head. I had to modify my motor mount and create just enough clearance. It could easily be adjusted in future iterations but if someone at Mint got under the car and looked up at the manifold it is clear as day that it has a clearance issue. Perhaps the e28 mint used to prototype had a different motor mount arm? I believe they prototyped with an '86

4. Quality: The exterior welds and interior grinding on the manifold are superb its a REALLY nice manifold. I do a fair bit of welding and have been for 10 years or so thus, I feel that even though I am an amateur, I know the difference between good and bad welding. The flanges, and materials used were very nice and heavy duty as advertised. The manifold has had zero leaks or warpage etc. (2-3 months of use so far)

In summary, the Mint manifold is good, their welder needs a raise. It does need some design adjustment, but I literally have the very first one ever made. They could easily refine their design. For the money, I feel that I should not need to make any modifications like I did. That price tag says "bolt me on and enjoy". It is simply not that way.

For what it is worth the Kangaroos team cast manifold was not an option when I went down this path. My buddy bought a kangaroos team M20 manifold through e28 goodies and after inspection the cast and manifold are very high quality. I assume the M30 option is of similar quality.
iamcreepingdeath

Jantz2002 wrote: Aug 31, 2022 3:32 PM I thought I would update on the manifold that was made for me. The Mint Performance manifold that is on their website is the one that is currently on my vehicle (1987 BMW 535is). It is/was the first one made and I thought I could give some feedback.

1. Experience: The company itself was difficult to work with, missed dates, no updates, standoffish responses etc. I get that R&D is a long and trying process so missed dates are whatever but getting information/updates was like pulling teeth.

2. Design: I did not like where the Waste gate provision was placed. All M30 tubular manifolds have the waste gate provision facing the firewall of the vehicle. Mint decided to put it on the opposite side facing the headlight. If I was running a screamer pipe to the ground from the wastegate that would make sense but I wanted to recirculate to the dump pipe. I ended up moving my wastegate to my turbo housing to accomplish this.

3. Execution: one of the runners on the manifold actually ran into one of the bolts for the motor mount, this caused the manifold to not be able to sit flush with the exhaust port surface on the head. I had to modify my motor mount and create just enough clearance. It could easily be adjusted in future iterations but if someone at Mint got under the car and looked up at the manifold it is clear as day that it has a clearance issue. Perhaps the e28 mint used to prototype had a different motor mount arm? I believe they prototyped with an '86

4. Quality: The exterior welds and interior grinding on the manifold are superb its a REALLY nice manifold. I do a fair bit of welding and have been for 10 years or so thus, I feel that even though I am an amateur, I know the difference between good and bad welding. The flanges, and materials used were very nice and heavy duty as advertised. The manifold has had zero leaks or warpage etc. (2-3 months of use so far)

In summary, the Mint manifold is good, their welder needs a raise. It does need some design adjustment, but I literally have the very first one ever made. They could easily refine their design. For the money, I feel that I should not need to make any modifications like I did. That price tag says "bolt me on and enjoy". It is simply not that way.

For what it is worth the Kangaroos team cast manifold was not an option when I went down this path. My buddy bought a kangaroos team M20 manifold through e28 goodies and after inspection the cast and manifold are very high quality. I assume the M30 option is of similar quality.
Sounds like not worth $1500...

Good to hear the Kangaroo ones are good quality.
iamcreepingdeath

Well, I pulled the trigger on the team-2-fast turbo manifold on Ebay from Germany. I have been using their NA long tube headers for a few years now and they seem to be high quality and have held up well.

Link to the one I just ordered: https://www.ebay.com/itm/333549358427

We'll see how this one fits! The Ebay ad claims 28 have been sold, but so far I haven't run across anyone on the internet using one...

For reference, here is the long tubes I have been running (and they sound awesome): https://www.ebay.com/itm/233477101414

I suppose I will be selling the long tubes soon...
iamcreepingdeath

Just an update on the tubular header, I have been running the team2fast tubular turbo header for a while now, it it appears to be great quality, great fit, and no leaks that I can tell, and has held up great so far.