M30 Turbo No Start

Discussion pertaining to positive pressure E28s.
e38740imd

M30 Turbo No Start

Post by e38740imd »

Good Afternoon Guys.
I have a no start situation and need some Guidance.

1990 535i
M30
Mspnp2

Car was working and running fine. Been driving for a while for trial testing to take to the tuner. And take to places to do things like replace windshields etc.

I got a tune to upload. I uploaded it and now I have a no start. I did save the base map with corrections before loading tune. Loaded old tune and still no start. I then used the base map given from Diyautotune and still no start.
The car cranks, gets a small sign it will fire Nd then continues to cranks.
I confirmed I have spark. Took a spark plug and connected right to the coil (msd blast 3) using the oem plug wires. Cranked and sparked. So coil is working fine.

Fuel rail pressure is at 32psi with ignition on. (When it was running it was 50psi at idle).
Crank position sensor i tested pins 1&2 and got 497 ohms. Bently says it should be at 540 ohms with a 10 percent tolerance.
Tunerstudio settings looks to be what they should be. So I'm not sure one what direction I should be looking into. I am able to connect to my ecu no problem.

What do you guys suggest I look at? Making sure injectors are firing? Is there a test in the ecu to do this like spark? i do smell the gas like after a while of cranking

what i think it is bad ground to spark the plugs in the head or something weird.

whats your thoughts
tschultz

Re: M30 Turbo No Start

Post by tschultz »

Are you sure your cold start settings are correct? What about your Req fuel value? You need to know if it's rich or lean. Does holding the throttle down (flood clear if it is enabled) help?
e38740imd

Post by e38740imd »

On the map I was driving on I never made any adjustments to the cold start settings.

All I did was set required fuel and calibrate my throttle position switch.

If I were to look. I'm not sure

But if I do press the gas it gets a hope it'll start.

Where is the flood clear setting you are reffering to?
marc79euro645

Post by marc79euro645 »

pull a plug. what does it look like?
mitch5

Post by mitch5 »

I would check the tune again, tunerstudio it will let you pull up an old tune and do a side by side like beyond compare and look for any differences.

The flooding could be caused by a variety of things in your in you tune, or any variety of bad input sensors.

Besides checking plugs ect, another way to narrow it down is to disconnect the injectors and get the car to run on starting fluid.
e38740imd

Post by e38740imd »

Yes I looked at that also. The difference was small between the tune that was uploaded and what I had. Graphs, and about 7 settings. But if I flash to the og base map it should still start. So I'm guessing some happened in between then. So ill do some I depth digging. A shame its cold I prolly would have this figured out already tbh.

I'll check back with more info I find