My welcome back and my build thread, long post. Boosting my M30b35

Discussion pertaining to positive pressure E28s.
Sector9

My welcome back and my build thread, long post. Boosting my M30b35

Post by Sector9 »

Hey everyone. Long-ish post I'm not sure is worth a read but you be the judge.

Tldr: I'm broken health wise, my car is fine. I'm turboing it, if I upgrade my injectors to 1200cc+ and e85, and/or meth injection, could I theoretically run the setup just by messing with the afm adjustment and RRFPR, and maybe an Apexi SAFC until I save for a stand alone? Power steering rack conversion or manual rack conversion as well is a question...
Image'that's me, you're probably wondering how I got here' or something like that.
ImageAva likes all them fancy stance cars so I had to build her one she could do donuts in, added headlights, painted it, slammed it, deep wheels made and 12v twin gearbox setup too, she rips. Car is nicer than mine! :rofl:

I often don't post much here. I just lurk, read threads and often find what I'm looking for nowadays. Now that I'm older and understand a whole lot more than I did in my teens and early 20s, seems like things make much more sense coupled with my experience on many different builds my friends have had as well as my clients in automotive fabrication. Last 5 years I've found myself welding pipe, ironworking, and machining driveshafts, and being stepdaddy. As of this year I'm on disability, stage 4 cancer and a familial disease took me by surprise early on so I've been trying hard to make things happen before it's my time to check out. Can't do much on this income, especially with 4 youngins, so these are my plans:

Image my old 82 euro 525i w/ m30b32 swap. Whitejaguar here made the front lip

I'm pretty much seeking to complete my budget turbo setup and I'm feeling nearly there. As a teen, (on this forum and others, embarrassing myself with my ignorance and pipe dreams, I'm sure,) I always wanted a turbo E28. Fell in love with this platform because of my mom's 535is, and recently traded my E39 540i/6 to get back into another E28, making this my third.

This time I find myself in a 535is that I'm sure people looked at before and decided it was too much to save. The ones who can't fab miss out on good deals because of a little rot. Whatever, more fun for me!

Anyway, after helping to build my friends mkiv supra, and his brothers mkiv supra, 1700 and 1400whp respectively, I decided that 300hp in the 540 wasn't gonna cut it anymore. Everyone around town around my age are getting into what I used to think was serious power. 800+ is more common than a corolla here. I'm behind the times after paying more attention to learning what it takes building cars and I've got all I need now in knowledge to get there.
Imageprecision 7275 6 speed slick top, 1400hp, this is the "slow one". Faster one has a th400, a bigger turbo, nitrous, sfi 25.5d cage, slicks, and a chute

Fast forward to my 535is with completely rebuilt front suspension, skid plate, 3.25lsd, ground control coilovers too, but needing a second gear synchro, some rot repaired, and bodywork. So I wasn't messing around. Took three weeks to find a new trans, swapped out the 85 533i model trans and front driveshaft that was put into it at some point for a e24 g260/6 in my handicap parking spot. A brand new SPEC spung 6 Puck clutch went in, and I resurfaced the flywheel (I had noticed it was the rarer lighter weight flywheel available oem for these cars. Nice surprise) Also made my own DSSR , and I fitted an ebay e30 chassis shifter. Built my own bulletproof diff mount courtesy of a energy suspension GM trans mount that welded in ever so nicely into the rear diff mount carrier frame.

Later I moved into a house with a 2 bay garage and the games have begun on my friends 1g dsm 750hp upgrades. Now is the time for me to make some power too

... right after I'm done the rot and bodywork (I'm also building custom bbs style 5s in 17x12 rears and 17x10 or 11 fronts, so the fenders are getting some more meat via new sheet steel and welding. The rears are done, needing custom lips for the front. Been lazy, haven't ordered them yet.)

The turbo: I scored a nice little Hx35, when I went out to help my friend pick up a 1g dsm. It has a Holset CHRA inside Chinese "Turbone" (turbo-ney, tur-bone?) housings and the shaft is in great condition. So I'll send it after I weld up the internal wastegate flapper and get a 38-44mm wastegate, whatever cheapest that I can find locally.

Late last year I parted out a Volvo 850 t5r that probably should've been put back to roadworthy status but I just made money off it, got some intercooler piping and a fmic intercooler left out of it. I think I saved the recirc valve too. It'll work if I don't find a bov. Will upgrade the cooler later as well. It's a shitty ebay jdm whatever the hell brand but it holds air pressure.

Exhaust manifold. The fun stuff. Bmw was nice enough to allow the manifold flanges to mount upside down so I'm just going to do that, cut them up and tig weld some stainless pipe fittings I have and get my turbo fitted there. My turbo would seem best fitted above the abs block should I choose not to delete it. As for exhaust, :laugh: Cops are somewhat lenient here and there's no inspections at all, so I could daily this car with a fender dump so that'll make things easier and cheaper. And bad ass if you ask me.

Odds and ends like the return and feed line, flanges, no silicone couplers will be present as I will be welding all IC piping with pie cuts and v bands. I can handle it all. May even mount up a fuel cell as well and convert the lines to An-6 or An-8 depending on what's needed.

My 1g dsm friend has gifted me a devils own meth injection kit off his build, should I decide to run it, or barter it on a stand alone or something. (Probably the second choice since I can piece my own kit together for pennies if I need it.) same friend gifted me his 355lph pump, a catch can, and a glowshift 30psi boost gauge.

I had a turbo miata earlier this year that blew up. Parted it out. Kept the AEM uego wideband. Installed the corbeau seat in my e28. it will work until I need FIA certified bucket seats, a roll cage and harness.

At this stage I'm missing 4 or 5 key components. Big wastegate, bov, injectors (thinking about finding Bosch 0280150846's, they're 160lb injectors... Huge, Great for e85. cheap somewhere too, unless I can find something else,) fuel pressure regulator, and of course stand alone. I think the last key to this will be thar stand alone.

Spitronics 'mercury 2' seems to be the cheapest available standalone at 249 usd converted from South African Rand this week. I could get that pretty easily with an exhaust fab job or two. Hopefully. But it's a small company, I don't know how well it's going to work but my wallet tells me it'll be my only way. The specs and description seem great for the price

I could do RUSEfi as well, or even speeduino as other options. Megasquirt, unless used, is quite out of budget as sad as that is to admit how broke I am. Hard to find used ones!

Questions:

***If I can't afford it now, I'm wondering the limitations on the AFM to adjust afr ratios with bigger injectors and a RRFPR? Maybe Safc as well. Would it be feasible enough to make a crude, slightly rich setup just to mess around with the car on lower boost, say 15psi?

***I'm also debating doing the head gasket and head studs now and also porting the head a little while it's out, or seeing what the stock block is going to tell me at 30psi on this hx35. Either case I do have a second vehicle if that answer is a "let me lift this cylinder head real quick and rain on your parade," type of response.

*** 500whp in an 87 E28 seems like a big ask to the driveline, axles and diff. What's going to blow out first? What should I upgrade to? I'm not really wanting to go with ford 8.8 shit but if I have to I guess I'll do it?

***Might also think about running audi rs2 or similar coil on plugs or something if it'll be a requirement for 500whp

The goal for this project is daily drifter, and sometimes hpde racer here at NCM motorsports park and beech bend. 500hp would be fantastic. I've been pursuing some sponsorships and SPEC has me down for support for the cars life, which is nice. Slight steering angle mods courtesy of my ghetto ass fab and/or s13 parts. I'm thinking about doing a power steering rack conversion after or during the turbo setup installation, as soon as I learn exactly the best parts to use. I saw a thread or two about it, guy used a saturn manual rack or something, and have been thinking of doing it the same few ways I've seen but I can't quite decide to keep PS or have a manual rack that turns quick. Any thoughts here?

Anyhow. Thanks for coming to my Ted talk. Chemo brain has me typing novels where short sentences would suffice so I hope I didn't bore or confuse anyone with me jumping from several different topics and typing a research paper lengthed post but oh well.
mitch5

Re: My welcome back and my build thread, long post. Boosting my M30b35

Post by mitch5 »

Im sorry to hear about the cancer especially at what's seems like a young age. Getting 500 hp out of an m30 should keep you distracted though.

Here are some suggestions i have for your build

-Start with smaller hp goal, 500hp will cost some coin has the potential to break expensive stuff. With your turbo and budget you could make a solid 350hp, you would be surprised how quick that is.

-Get a standalone ecu for this build, an ms2 v3.0 is the best option. You can get the diy kit for like 300 or assembled for 500. Without a good standalone ecu, tuning will be a nightmare and the car will never be able to get 500hp.

-Dont buy used injectors, get a set of 80lb/hr sieman deka injectors, best bang for buck. 230 a set new.

Lastly, if you want to drive this thing at autocross and drift events i would say go do the steering mods and angle kit before the turbo. Turbo setups, even the factory ones seem to always seem to have issues when you start to push the limits of a car at autocross etc. The m30 has enough power to get you sideways.
marc79euro645

Post by marc79euro645 »

+1 buy a megasquirt2, you need a proper tune
Sector9

Post by Sector9 »

I didn't meant to say I'd try to get the injectors used. Sorry for the confusion.

I think those injectors might be too small for e85 mitch5, no? 80lb is near 800cc. Every time I read up on builds that the car runs e85 they're usually rather high flowing injectors, 1200-2000cc. That and 455+lph fuel pumps are what I often see as well.

I found a Bosch ev1 injector that puts out something like 1550-1600cc. 0280150846. There's 3 different part numbers on them because one has a Chrysler logo, another with a Ford logo, and another blank and they only vary by about 50cc. They're oem CNG injectors or something like that, but can also be used for gasoline and e85 fuels with different o rings.

As for the stand alone thing, yeah. That's what I'm aiming for. I was just trying to see if I'd be good for a month or so if I tried running the car on gasoline with the larger injectors at 10-15psi by just messing with the afm adjustment, but it probably won't work out as well as I'd hope.

That spitronics stand alone is the cheapest, I actually did end up reaching out to the company behind it and it's legitimate. The features it has are great, but it probably doesn't work as efficiently as megasquirt does in terms of processing power. In the worst case though I'll try to find a used megasquirt or something. 500 is a big ask on my finances at the moment but hopefully my conditions change and I can make a little more and save some more, too.
mitch5

Post by mitch5 »

E85 has a stochiometric ratio of like 9.8 vs 14.7 for gas so yes you do have to use quite a bit more fuel. Speaking of budget, E85 does add more expense to the build though, like alot. You would need to replace all your lines with ptfe and to get the flow required for e85 you will have to run new lines. I just ran ptfe aeroquip lines for my walbro 455lp and it cost me about $700 between fittings, filters, pump and line to run to a fuel cell.

Megasquirt is the cheapest/easiest path to being able to tune your motor, there are lots of other people running it so you wont be the first person using it. Their megasquirt tuning software is very good too, anyone these days could find the hardware required to build an ECU(adrinuo, ect) on the cheap but will find that the software is really what your paying for.
Sector9

Post by Sector9 »

I think my e85 conversion won't cost that much. Probably in the neighborhood of the 300-400 range if I splurged, and a bit more if I decide to run a Jaz fuel cell. It's about 100 bucks for a 20 foot kit of PFTE stainless braided line and a bunch of fittings, and I already have a fuel pump that'll work until it reaches a point that it's maxed out which won't happen for a while.

And speaking of e85 conversions, did you retain that expansion tank in the trunk and the carbon canister in the engine bay?

I'd be interested in seeing your build thread if you have one, by the way?

I'll likely end up keeping an eye out for a MS2, or something. If I could go back to work now, I'd be more keen on throwing money around. It's just not there for me right now. Hopefully late October after my surgery I can go back and make the better choices in this build. I don't know how much time I have left, it's scary really.

I think if I have time this weekend I'm going to modify my knuckles. I really need to get my mind right and on track again.