Black Interior M5's sign in here.

Specific conversations and info for the BMW E28 M5 and M535i.
TheE28Ranch

Re: Black Interior M5's sign in here.

Post by TheE28Ranch »

Still hanging on to mine, fwiw!
CarNut68

Post by CarNut68 »

LOL, I still have mine as well. I have thought about selling it...quite a bit actually...and then I go re-watch the Chris Harris video or read some threads on mye28 to get my mind right. At the end of the day, even though I don't drive it much, I still love the car, still have the space and don't really need the money so why sell and risk kicking myself later.
M5BB

Post by M5BB »

I have some new information.

I take my M5 to some shows throughout the year and recently attended the Hilton Head Concours in Hilton Head SC.
It's a fun show and just a cars and coffee deal on Saturday. Can't say they ask me to bring the M5 to the big show on Sunday. Maybe someday.

I ran into a gentleman there that I have met before but it was when I had my 3.0 CS at this same show.
He has one as well, one of the best I've ever seen.
We were talking and he told me he worked for BMWNA in the Mid Atlantic district for sales and marketing.
He remembered how the M5's were not selling well and it was near the end of the run.
He and some colleagues suggested to BMW that they make some cars with black interiors.
BMW agreed and that is how they came to be.
Here is what he wrote to me.

" At the end of the production run of the US E28 M5, in an effort to help sell the remaining inventory and committed incoming production, the Mid-Atlantic Region of BMWNA, in Reston/Sterling VA, suggested and got approved the availability of approximately 30 Black on Black M5’s. The majority, if not all of the vehicles, were sold to and through the dealers in the MA Region"

I told him I would not release his name as he is retired now.
Hope this settles some dust and speculation that has gone on for years.
Luckily RCBMW got me the 30 VINs so we know who has a legitimate car.

Sorry I'm not that active here, just working on putting my 3.0 CS back together after 3 years of work.

So Merry Christmas!
Gary
Joe_p

Post by Joe_p »

Hey all, I bought the bb m5 from Branden raap so you can update that one. It resides in Aliso Viejo CA now
M5BB

Post by M5BB »

Joe_p wrote:Hey all, I bought the bb m5 from Branden raap so you can update that one. It resides in Aliso Viejo CA now
Congrats Joe.

To change it I need your full name please?
Tell us a little about the car and post a couple pictures.

Thanks,
Gary
M5BB

Post by M5BB »

Black Betty turned 180,000 today. Didn't catch it at zero.
Still a great car and so much fun to drive.
Showing some wear since her 2009 repaint but not afraid to take her on the road.
JJS21

Post by JJS21 »

Anyone considering selling there 1 of 30 BB M5 please Pm me
Finn

Post by Finn »

I have a black leather interior in my e28 m5 vin WBSDC920401679042
I’m in the uk so mine is RHD
M5BB

Post by M5BB »

Finn wrote:I have a black leather interior in my e28 m5 vin WBSDC920401679042
I’m in the uk so mine is RHD

Hey Finn,

The 30 cars with black interior were only US cars. In Europe there were choices but here all the cars except the 30 had black exteriors and tan interiors.

Gary
S62ninja

Post by S62ninja »

I've purchased WBSDC9309J2875231 from Gary Kent as of Sunday August 3rd, 2020.
M5BB

Post by M5BB »

S62ninja wrote: Sep 02, 2020 5:03 PM I've purchased WBSDC9309J2875231 from Gary Kent as of Sunday August 3rd, 2020.
And you are?
Name please and location. Just city and state.
Some photos would be extra special.
11/9/87 Production date.
Congrats.

Gary Beck,
Keeper of the black on black keys.
S62ninja

Post by S62ninja »

Tim Chao - Montclair, CA
M5BB

Post by M5BB »

S62ninja wrote: Sep 04, 2020 12:57 AM Tim Chao - Montclair, CA
Thanks Tim,
Updated
Still like some photos.
bmwmandan2002

Post by bmwmandan2002 »

WBSDC9303J2875323 - Bought from Joe in Aliso, car is now living in long beach, and because of this forum I've managed to find all the former owners except the 1st one. My 3rd E28...and this one is going to be staying with me for a long long time.
M5BB

Post by M5BB »

bmwmandan2002 wrote: Jan 16, 2021 11:59 PM WBSDC9303J2875323 - Bought from Joe in Aliso, car is now living in long beach, and because of this forum I've managed to find all the former owners except the 1st one. My 3rd E28...and this one is going to be staying with me for a long long time.
Hello???
Thanks for finding us but we would really like to know your name? Mine's Gary Beck and I started this page 9/2010. Had to look. :laugh:
I know many of these owners and have met a few in person at a meet in NC called The Vintage. We had 18 M5's there once and 2 BB.
A BB car sold on Bring A Trailer just last month. Dec 2020.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-bmw-m5-77/
Looks like you might have a 2002. I have a 72 Golf 2002 Tii. What's yours?

They come and go and you say Joe in Aliso but I looked at list in first post and don't see a Joe so guess he never signed up?
I see your VIN manufactured 11/24/87. The day after mine and number of others. We think BMW just did the paperwork every few days as I doubt they made 8 hand made cars in one day.
I have a friend that owns a E28 M5 that lives in Long Beach. Not a BB but a high mileage car. Phil Conrad, also a sailor.
I don't give out names or sell information. Just a friendly site for owner of BB M5's.
Hope you'll give us your name.
benzgarden

Post by benzgarden »

I have purchased WBSDC9308J2875205. 153,398 miles.

Ali Bhatti - Jackson, Mississippi.

I am having a hard time figuring out how to post pics.
bmwmandan2002

Post by bmwmandan2002 »

M5BB wrote: Jan 17, 2021 1:04 AM
bmwmandan2002 wrote: Jan 16, 2021 11:59 PM WBSDC9303J2875323 - Bought from Joe in Aliso, car is now living in long beach, and because of this forum I've managed to find all the former owners except the 1st one. My 3rd E28...and this one is going to be staying with me for a long long time.
Hello???
Thanks for finding us but we would really like to know your name? Mine's Gary Beck and I started this page 9/2010. Had to look. :laugh:
I know many of these owners and have met a few in person at a meet in NC called The Vintage. We had 18 M5's there once and 2 BB.

They come and go and you say Joe in Aliso but I looked at list in first post and don't see a Joe so guess he never signed up?
I see your VIN manufactured 11/24/87. The day after mine and number of others. We think BMW just did the paperwork every few days as I doubt they made 8 hand made cars in one day.
I have a friend that owns a E28 M5 that lives in Long Beach. Not a BB but a high mileage car. Phil Conrad, also a sailor.
I don't give out names or sell information. Just a friendly site for owner of BB M5's.
Daniel Moore, and the 2002 is actually a reference to when I graduated HS, I've been on the various BMW forums since 2004 and that still mattered back then =) I actually have: 88 M5, 94 740il, 95 540i\6, 04 M3, 20 X3M...also an old buick lol. But I'm loving this car and because of this forum had the good fortune to find most of the previous owners!
M5BB

Post by M5BB »

benzgarden wrote: Jan 17, 2021 8:49 PM I have purchased WBSDC9308J2875205. 153,398 miles.

Ali Bhatti - Jackson, Mississippi.

I am having a hard time figuring out how to post pics.
Hey Ali, me too on the pics.
This site does not have photo hosting ability. Never has unfortunately.
If you notice on many older pages photos are missing because we all used to use a company called Photobucket. One day they just told everyone to pay up or their photos would not be available. It was free. Most refused.
So you have to use a hosting site like Dropbox or Google Drive. It's a pain.
So you now own Jeremy's car. The first of the BB cars.
Cool, I will change it.
How about some photos?
Everyone would love to see.
I will change now.
Thanks for letting me know.
Gary
M5BB

Post by M5BB »

bmwmandan2002 wrote: Jan 17, 2021 9:00 PM
M5BB wrote: Jan 17, 2021 1:04 AM
Hello???

Daniel Moore, and the 2002 is actually a reference to when I graduated HS, I've been on the various BMW forums since 2004 and that still mattered back then =) I actually have: 88 M5, 94 740il, 95 540i\6, 04 M3, 20 X3M...also an old buick lol. But I'm loving this car and because of this forum had the good fortune to find most of the previous owners!
Hey great Daniel, welcome to the exclusive group.
I will change the name now.
Any chance you could send some photos?
I know they have to be hosted for this site. If you private message me I can give you my email and we can do it that way.
Great to have you Daniel and thank you for responding.
Gary
Simsimma30

Post by Simsimma30 »

Nigel - Long Beach purchased WBSDC9308J2875222, 11/87 a little over a year ago.
M5BB

Post by M5BB »

Simsimma30 wrote: Mar 18, 2021 2:45 AM Nigel - Long Beach purchased WBSDC9308J2875222, 11/87 a little over a year ago.
Hello Nigel,

Thanks for contacting me.
Early car.
My notes say it was on eBay a number of years ago. 2013.

Could you please tell us your last name?
I will add to list on first post with other owners names.
I see Long Beach CA as location.
Photos are nice if you can.

Gary Beck
Simsimma30

Post by Simsimma30 »

Thanks Gary,

It’s so good that you created this to track this great piece of BMW history

Nigel Chalmers, Long Beach. Yes - car was very likely on eBay a while back. I could be 3rd or maybe 4th owner. It was in decent shape for new to me, but for some reason PO had a BBS body kit on it that wasn’t my style so that had to be removed and paint needed a bit of work too, so both issues have been corrected since, along with a custom exhaust system by a great local shop (Castro’s) subtle wheel change to BBS RZs, short shift, rear headrests, Husco center armrest and suspension refresh.There’s always going to be more to do so I’ll try to add some photos to share as soon as I figure it all out where simple click & drag to attach wasn’t working out for me at all. Seems from your tracking here, there are a couple more BBs right here in Long Beach - if (3)are truly here, that has to be a record for a single city right- I haven’t seen them yet but hopefully one day soon.
M5BB

Post by M5BB »

Simsimma30 wrote: Mar 19, 2021 1:07 AM Thanks Gary,

It’s so good that you created this to track this great piece of BMW history

Nigel Chalmers, Long Beach. Yes - car was very likely on eBay a while back. I could be 3rd or maybe 4th owner. It was in decent shape for new to me, but for some reason PO had a BBS body kit on it that wasn’t my style so that had to be removed and paint needed a bit of work too, so both issues have been corrected since, along with a custom exhaust system by a great local shop (Castro’s) subtle wheel change to BBS RZs, short shift, rear headrests, Husco center armrest and suspension refresh.There’s always going to be more to do so I’ll try to add some photos to share as soon as I figure it all out where simple click & drag to attach wasn’t working out for me at all. Seems from your tracking here, there are a couple more BBs right here in Long Beach - if (3)are truly here, that has to be a record for a single city right- I haven’t seen them yet but hopefully one day soon.
Thanks Nigel,
Just updating and added your name to original list. I don't always get the notice of posts. Thanks. You should try to find the other Long Beach guys.
Gary
DC93 0232

Post by DC93 0232 »

Hello board. Long time listener, first time caller. I am the current owner of WBSDC9305J2875226 with a black interior. I am going to sell this car because I don't have the ability to take care of it in the way it should be taken care of. I have owned the car for 9 years and put a lot of work into it, and have driven it less than 20k miles during that time. I will be selling this car on Cars and Bids soon.

Besides having a black interior, I was recently informed that the wheels that come up by the VIN are LA parallel. Has anyone else seen an E28 M5 with these LA parallel wheels? I have the same wheels that I see on all of the other E28 M5s, but maybe they are not original. I thought that there were basically two options that you could get in the DC93 related to the interior only. It would be interesting if this car had a third option. I'm curious about what the car would look like with the LA parallel wheels.
M5BB

Post by M5BB »

Where are you?
I see the car on the Black interior list. Manf date- 11/9/87

You should post the listing here and of FB M5 page when it goes live.

Can't help much on the wheels as mine came with throwing stars. I had some 42's on it for a while and liked them.

Do you know who the previous owner was. Not a car that has been previously identified on my list here.

You could post some photos here and a name.
Might be someone interested.

Gary Beck