S38 B35 Trouble Shooting kit

Specific conversations and info for the BMW E28 M5 and M535i.
ahab

Post by ahab »

I'm speechless. That completely blows. WTF, I hope the person responsible does the right thing here. I'm not going to recommend an outing yet, but if this isn't made right in a matter of days then I think it would only be right to publicly shame the individual. I'm absolutely willing to contribute to a replacement for the kit, but until this shakes out a little further I feel like I buying some cocksucker a free ECU.
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

Nice ninja edit...
:rofl:
ahab wrote:...until this shakes out a little further I feel like I buying some cocksucker a free ECU.
Me too.
MicahO

Post by MicahO »

Utterly sucks. There are no words.

Ahab's right - no one here wants to buy a dirtbag a free ECU. But the kit is a huge resource and I'd be willing to help keep it whole, along the lines of S38Mike's comment. The mere existence of this kit always created a sense of comfort, in the event I would need it. We should see what DPP can come up with, or if there are other affordable options for rebuilding another unit. Mike's quoted price is not unattainable in a group, and may be as good as it gets. But it's not cheap, and it does mean we just bought someone an ECU.

Sadly, at least the future routing of the kit should become public knowledge.
Duke

Post by Duke »

MicahO wrote:Sadly, at least the future routing of the kit should become public knowledge.
Yep - name posted and when shipped and returned. Also must be insured by user both ways for at least $2K.
winfred

Post by winfred »

if this has not been resolved by time i build my m635 and get it running on motronic 3.3.1 id be willing to donate my computer for the good of the group but......i don't know when i am going to get to the point i won't need it as i have around 5 good sized projects before i can build the rustbucket into the new chassis and little time to do em
S38Mike

Post by S38Mike »

Lmao. Winfred, the description of your car is hilarious!
winfred

Post by winfred »

i think if i tried to drive it twood break in half
S38Mike wrote:Lmao. Winfred, the description of your car is hilarious!
Kyle in NO
Location: Nasty Orleans------> Batten-Rooehjch------>More Souther LA

Post by Kyle in NO »

Yeah, Winfred's M635 looks like a mock-up of a real car made out of rust flakes...or any E12 M535i shown here recently.
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

Philo

Post by Philo »

Thanks for the offers guys.. No need to buy a new ECU yet.. still waiting for a member to respond regarding the ECU. I'm hoping it was simply a mix up. Will wait and see. If in the end I don't get the ECU back I hope someone can donate an old one to the kit. Or maybe share the cost of sending the POS one I got back to Programma to have it tested and rebuilt.
1stm5nut

Post by 1stm5nut »

any progress?
Philo

Post by Philo »

ECU found and is on its way back to Cali :) Was an honest mistake. We are all good. I need to do some cleanup on the kit before I send it out again. Also need to find a different shipping box.., the one I have keeps coming back partially open, which is weird.., I think UPS might be inspecting the box because it keeps getting shipped all over the US. Post 911 is a bitch.
AT8M5

Post by AT8M5 »

That's great to hear! :alright:

Karl
mooseheadm5
Beamter
Beamter

Post by mooseheadm5 »

Great news! You should take the following steps, though. Each kit recipient needs to let you know their name, address, and phone number. You should mark all pieces of the kit with a paint pen and install a warranty control tag on the ECU to keep someone from opening it. That way you always get your same parts back and instantly know when something accidentally gets switched. Each kit recipient needs to verify when they get the kit that they have all the parts with your marking on them.
1stm5nut

Post by 1stm5nut »

awesome!
:banana:
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Great news. I agree with Moosehead. The known-good parts need to stay known-good!
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

Another happy ending to yet another MyE28.com drama. I love happy endings. :D
ahab

Post by ahab »

This is great news! Especially since I may need it soon ;). Glad to hear it worked out Phil.
1stm5nut

Post by 1stm5nut »

hey philo,
i just wanted to touch base. when the kit becomes available i would greatly appreciate using it. my girl has been stone cold since this whole thing started.
best regards
damion
Bennetts22

Post by Bennetts22 »

Glad to hear it worked out

I have the adapter for the leak down
Wolf1971

Post by Wolf1971 »

Philo:

I'm in dire need of your S38 box o' magic . Did you figure out how to handle the deposit issue so there aren't any issues in the future? Rich suggested I give you a shout.

Thanks,
Randall
tn535i

Post by tn535i »

I too have always felt pretty good about the insurance policy and peace of mind for this and other resources on this board if I ever needed to ask. Was reading this and also mad but glad it worked out.

But in another direction I will look around and see if we have any unused reusable (small suitcase sized) plastic shipping containers I could donate. Would be happy to ship it out to you if I find one the right size. In liu of that you might be surprised how well a 5 gallon bucket works for stuff like this. I know I have one of those (screw on locking lid) around and those are not hard to find. We ship all kinds of stuff in and out in those things and they are nearly indestructible, and come with a handy carry handle.
L_N_Love

Post by L_N_Love »

Is this kit still available?
Philo

Post by Philo »

The kit is in my garage and really haven't been motivated to make it available because the last few times the kit came back in pieces due to poor packing and taping of the box. I'm not sure if it was board members not paying attention or the shipping company thinking the contents were WMDs and opened the box to investigate. On one occasion the UPS delivery guy walked into my office to deliver the box and the kit top was open, no tape, pieces rolling around inside, etc.. The distributor cap and rotor got broken, injectors were rolling around, AFM cover was off.., it wasn't pretty. On one other return the ECU had been replaced with an older rebuilt unit. I did speak with that board member and it was an honest mistake.

Bottom line is it's sitting in my garage. I need to find a better box and better shipping foam to isolate the parts during shipping. And find replacements for the dist cap and rotor. Doesn't make any sense to ship broken parts.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

What might be a nice idea is to perhaps get a Pelican case or similar with cutouts in the foam for these items. Really, things like the ECU are certainly worth protecting and not everyone is well-versed in packing. It might certainly cost more to ship but I believe the important thing is to ensure the known-good components stay "known-good."