M5 Battery Cable Routing

Specific conversations and info for the BMW E28 M5 and M535i.
Coldswede
Location: Back U.P. North,. Where the water's blue, the wind is free and seasons four.

M5 Battery Cable Routing

Post by Coldswede »

Okay I have this spiffy new (to me) M5 battery cable set awaiting installation, all I need is a good picture/drawing (Real OEM's is terrible) showing how the cable was routed. I am especially wondering how the starter cable runs in the area of the drivers floor just before it exits to the engine compartment.

Any words, links or pictures of wisdom?
alpinewhite

Re: M5 Battery Cable Routing

Post by alpinewhite »

Coldswede wrote:Okay I have this spiffy new (to me) M5 battery cable set awaiting installation, all I need is a good picture/drawing (Real OEM's is terrible) showing how the cable was routed. I am especially wondering how the starter cable runs in the area of the drivers floor just before it exits to the engine compartment.

I'd luv to know as well.. i'm contemplating picking up a M5 battery cable set as well or a e30 set. I want to move my optima aft and into Brents, nifty rear strut-bar w/battery tray, already.

cheers,
Last edited by alpinewhite on Jul 18, 2010 10:35 PM, edited 1 time in total.
mooseheadm5
Beamter
Beamter

Post by mooseheadm5 »

Check the pics in my CARBQ thread and you can see some of it. The main cable runs over the hump under the rear seatand comes out in the left rear passenger floorpan before running up toward the driver seat, where it exits under the driver seat and runs along the frame rail until it mounts on the starter. You can also see a branch running up the driver's side rocker. The branch for the ECU power runs up the passenger side rocker and terminated behind the glove box, from what I have been told, but I didn't really pay any attention because that wasn't burned on my car.

m535is

Post by m535is »

Moosehead is correct. The split line off the starter runs to a power distribution box on the driver's side A pillar. There is cover that protects the cable as it exits the floor under the driver's seat. I have done the conversion on a 535i and it wasn't too bad. Let me know if you have any questions.
photopark

Post by photopark »

This should help.

Doug

Coldswede
Location: Back U.P. North,. Where the water's blue, the wind is free and seasons four.

Post by Coldswede »

You guys officially Rock!

Thank you for your replies. I think even I can figure it out from here. :rofl:
alpinewhite

Post by alpinewhite »

Thanks guys!
:D
photopark

Post by photopark »

alpinewhite wrote:
Coldswede wrote:Okay I have this spiffy new (to me) M5 battery cable set awaiting installation, all I need is a good picture/drawing (Real OEM's is terrible) showing how the cable was routed. I am especially wondering how the starter cable runs in the area of the drivers floor just before it exits to the engine compartment.

I'd luv to know as well.. i'm contemplating picking up a M5 battery cable set as well or a e30 set. I want to move my optima aft and into Brents, nifty rear strut-bar w/battery tray, already.

cheers,
I have a genuine M5 positive battery cable set in excellent condition. $150 shipped and it's yours.

PM me. :)
Coldswede

Post by Coldswede »

Thanks to you gentlemen, I have successfully relocated the battery to Brent's fine rear strut bar.

No it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be, and yes it is scary drilling a huge hole in your perfectly dry, tight and rust-free floor! :laugh:

Of course I had to deviate from the stock set-up but then the whole thing is non-stock for my car!

Anyway thanks again folks. :up:
SmokeyJohn102

Post by SmokeyJohn102 »

Bringing up this old topic...I'm about to put a m5 cable in my 87 535. As far as the little metal studs that are located on the floor pan for cable hold down. Will my car have it? I want to think bmw made all the shells the same but I don't know if they added them for my non m5. If not does anybody have any recommendations for some kind of hold down? Is the the same for the drivers side frame rail? Does anybody have a picture of the cable routing underneath their car? Thanks for the help!
photopark

Post by photopark »

Your car will not have the studs. I simply used silicon to keep it from moving and never had an issue with it.
objectgroup

Post by objectgroup »

Reviving this oldie, wanted to keep my question in context. I relocated my battery successfully big thanks to photopark's pics.

However I have a very saggy cable under the driver seat along the frame rail. Is there a different metal piece on the m5 to hold this cable? Couldn't find anything on realoem. Pics below:

objectgroup

Post by objectgroup »

Also posting some pics of my relocation for reference:

objectgroup

Post by objectgroup »

objectgroup wrote: Mar 17, 2022 2:53 PM Is there a different metal piece on the m5 to hold this cable?
Managed to get under an M5 this weekend. And found the answer to my question. Posting pics for reference.

1: Rear: passthrough shield under driver seat: p/n 61131374575 Held in place by studs/nuts

2. Middle: cable held by plastic clips (p/n unknown) and studs/nuts next to frame rail

3. Front: cable attached to clips on the firewall sound absorption panel going into engine bay, to starter.

Without the studs on my 535i the clips and shield will be difficult to attach. Gonna buy a cheapo stud welder and see if I can pull it off. Hopefully someone here has the cable shield piece in their stockpile.