M5 Prices

Specific conversations and info for the BMW E28 M5 and M535i.
B7Turbo

Post by B7Turbo »

I learned long time a go that never argue with an idiot. Just to turn your lights on, I give you a hint, I am still part of our group and you are not, Think and Think hard, perhaps you need to go for another soul searching in what ever place that you were gone last time, may be you will find it and this time bring it with you don't leave it there. :)
bojangles

Post by bojangles »

I wonder how you go to sleep when you are showing yourself to be UNKIND and RUDE... I wonder what your mother would think of your behaviour.

I am not an idiot.. please stop insulting me. I am quite intelligent actually.

I am also not argueing with you. I am telling you that your comments about me and my car are WRONG. I am asking you to back up what you are saying. You threw the first punch Mr., dont try to just take the last word and walk away.
bfrank1972

Post by bfrank1972 »

please take this somewhere else boys... :roll:
M5BB

Post by M5BB »

Boy you got that right. :argue:
Could a Beamter remove these posts from this thread.
It has nothing to do with the topic of M5 prices.
bojangles

Post by bojangles »

just trying to keep the value of my car up......
STAMPER

SOLD: 26,500.00

Post by STAMPER »

First off I want apologize to the folks who PM'd me about my M5 and whom I told that I would post it on the board when I decided to sell her. She went into the shop to get a full detail and get ready for sale and one of my mechanic's customers bought her today.

She was a great car and I had a lot of fun getting her sorted and met several super folks here on the board in the process. Brian the Parts Pimp in particular.

Here are the details. Milage @ 90K, zero paintwork, and super interior with no damage. In 2004 I sent her Motorsport Connections in Winston-Salem, NC for a total mechanical refurbishment - everything from the timing chain to all hoses. At that time we also installed UUC exhaust, Fahey hub, cam and track pipe (I still have the cats). Dinan chip too.

Next I sent her to BMW of Chatanooga where Brian the Parts Pimp installed all new trim and any other cosmetic bits that could still be ordered new from BMW including a new front spoiler. New euro headlights too. The biggest splurge was a new leather dash and door caps. I believe this was the last leather dash to come from BMW in Germany. (Duke actually sourced the front door caps as they were NLA.) Also install a new rear sunscreen which is now NLA.

Recently I installed ceramic coated euro headers - bought new from Brian. Also UUC short shifter and pedal set. Wheels are refinished.

She is fast and tight. Zero paintwork and no rust. Interior is darn near perfect with no rips, tears etc. Service book is stamped consistently by previous owner and of course I have all of my records.

My "investment" was north of $40k. I wish I had driven her more than I did, I had great aspirations of taking her to 5er Fest and on the track. Other commitments and projects got in the way.

I hope the new owner will have fun and "drive it like he stole it"!!! I hope he will also join the board and keep us posted on his upgrades. He says he wants to upgrade the suspension and the stereo.

Cheers, george
M5BB

Post by M5BB »

So George what did he steal it for?
That's what this thread is supposed to be about.
Sounds like a wonderful car.
Seems like it should be worth the $30k the other M5 sold for in NC last year :clap:
STAMPER

Post by STAMPER »

I was asking 29,500 - sold for 26,500. I paid for the detail.

Yes, he "stole" it - but I knew that I'd never recoup what I had in her. I just wish I driven her more!!!
M5BB

Post by M5BB »

Thanks for replying.
That's great that it sold for a good price.
Not what is was worth though I'm sure.

Just seems like it's time that these cars start getting some good prices. Of course there are fewer and fewer like yours and that should drive the good ones up.
Thanks again for responding.
JayM

Post by JayM »

Bravo on getting a good price :up:

It's unfortunate that they still don't get anywhere near what is put into them, but we're getting closer. Your buyer got a sweet car from the sound of it.
tobyport

Post by tobyport »

Geo--
Thank you for a great car. I have wanted an M5 since I drove my first 5er, a pre-owned 1982 528e back in college. Steve Haygood is sending the new suspension components, Technic springs and Bilstein Sports. We should have her out of the stable in a week or so. I'm building a website dedicated to this beast and will have it live shortly. Can't wait to share! I would appreciate any ideas/thoughts regarding a stealth hi-fi package.
fjfar80

M5 Purchase

Post by fjfar80 »

All -

I am obviously new to this board since I just bought my M5 yesterday. Actually a friend of mine closed the deal for me since I am currently living in Hong Kong. The car is a 1988 M5 - production date is February 1987 - WBSDC9306J2791190. The car has 150,000 miles on it and spent the last 10 years in Arkansas. I do not know much about the history of the car; I just wanted to pick one up for a reasonable price. I paid US$6,000 for the car and I know I will probably spend an easy US$25,000 getting it into the condition I want. The vehicle had the seats re-covered in 2006 and supposedly has had the following performed recently:

1. Rebuilt transmission by Blanton;
2. Guibo replacement;
3. New transmission mounts;
4. New driveshaft with u-joints;
5. New rear subframe mounts;
6. New heavy duty lower control arm bushings;
7. New passenger front wheel bearing;
8. Bilstein sport shocks in the rear;
9. Bilstein sport struts in the front;
10. Eibach lowering springs;
11. New front rotors;
12. New Metalmaster pads all around;
13. BFG Comp TA's, approx. 75% tread remaining;
14. New K&N filter;
15. New Bosch plugs;
16. New timing chain tensioner;
17. New factory ecu; and
18. New air conditioner compressor.

I am obviously not 100% sure that this is all factual as I am 8,000 miles from the car and my friends have yet to thoroughly go over the car. I plan on going the Euro Bumper route as well as grill and headlights. I am currently sourcing the bumper and m-tech aero pieces; however, I am looking for the grill and light pieces. If you have or have a lead on these - please let me know ASAP. My plans for the car are to put it into "great 10 of 10" shape and hold onto it. I just started talking to Frank Fahey and I am planning on getting the car out to him for some engine work...not sure of the time frame based on the logistics involved and the fact that I have 12 more months on my contract here in Hong Kong. I have learned quit a bit from reviewing this board and some board members are already helping me source some parts. My friend (who purchased) the car for me said that the engine looks to be in a 9 of 10 shape, the interior is a 6 of 10, and the exterior is an 8 of 10. He said the exterior is straight and true - but will need a good spray job to bring it up to show quality. I plan on having the car completely stripped down and re-built from the ground up. I will be doing some of the work myself and will be "farming" some of the work out to the appropriate companies. I can't tell you all how excited I am to have this vehicle. I have wanted to acquire a '88 M5 for some time and I am thrilled about finally having one. I have several BMWs already and my favorite is my '97 528i here in Hong Kong (right hand drive). I have a great shop here in Hong Kong that does a lot of custom fabrication and work with AP Racing Brake systems so - I am hoping to be able to get a set-off AP Racing Brakes (330mm) for the car (front and rear) although there will be some custom fabrication involved undoubtedly. Thank you again to all of the contributors and members who make this forum very informative.
fjfar80

M5 Pictures

Post by fjfar80 »

Of course before I get "spanked" for not having pictures...my friends will be doing a "pictorial log" for me over the next day or two. When I have some good pictures I will post them up for your viewing pleasure.

Cheers.
johnnye23

Post by johnnye23 »

Well this is sort of related to price/value of the M5 . I just purchased Haggertys collector insurance for my M5. Their top end value was $30 k and their low end was $8 k for the E28 M5. I found that range of prices interesting . Of course my car is at the low end :laugh: .
underwatervans

Post by underwatervans »

Just recently purchased and its a great car, the maintance seems to be kept up however for the past 15K a person had it that I don't think took very good care of it. The tranny went last week about a week after i purchased it and was about a 2k fix and the sls system in the rear is gone. Im also going to have to replace the brake booster and pads soon. Where should I take the car to have the valves adjusted, or is it possible to do that yourself? Also how do you find out what aftermarket chip you have?

Specs
Production date 87
AP racing brakes, and drilled rotors in the back
F1 Racing Stage two clutch kit (put that with the replaced tranny)
Chipped, don't know which one yet but definitly chipped
Bilstein HD's in the rear with stock 535is springs(haven't done yet but its in the works)
156,000 Miles
K&N Air Filter
RonP

Post by RonP »

I just sold mine for $31.500 and another just sold for $35,000 with 29,000 miles on it. Mine had 54k on the clock.
Rich Euro M5

Post by Rich Euro M5 »

RonP wrote:I just sold mine for $31.500 and another just sold for $35,000 with 29,000 miles on it. Mine had 54k on the clock.
Ron,

Thanks for posting the prices for these two low mileage examples.

Rich
M BADGER

Post by M BADGER »

I paid $12,000 for my 1988 M5, two months ago.

It had 133k miles (134k now) and is in very good shape.

The paint is very sharp with minor swirl marks and a few minor scratches and chips, but no dings. The paint and panels are original. There is no rust on the body.

The interior is very clean. The dash has no cracks. The front seats show minor wear but have no rips or tears. All power accessories work save the passenger mirror and headrests. The stereo works but crackles. I love the way it smells, very 80s BMW. It reminds me of my parents' old E30 and the E28s I knew back in the 80s.

I have all records since new. It has been well maintained, but relatively dormant the last few years and needed a few things. The exhaust has been replaced with a tri-flo. A tune-up and valve adjustment have been done, along with rear brakes and a few minor things. The timing chain tensioner is in progress and I expect to have the SLS replaced this summer. I expect to spend $4,000+ this year.

I feel the car is worth at least $16,000 once brought up to 'spec', not that I am planning on selling it. It is a keeper.

Pics here:

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=45 ... &&start=25
M5BB

Post by M5BB »

First, Ron can you tell us a little about your car and the other one that sold for great prices. Congratulations BTW.
Were these cars stock or almost?

M. Badger, sounds like you got a good deal. No cracked dash is amazing. Glad to have another satisfied owner.
There's a Euro car on eBay right now that is at $25k. BIN is $35K.
Good to see some good prices although there are some really low one's too. Mostly abused cars.
Thanks for posting guys.
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

I finally got around to reading through this whole thread and realized I forgot to contribute when I bought mine last fall. My car has 190k, it's never been hit or painted, no rust. Numerous little dings and scratches but the paint came back well after hours with a clay bar and polish. I've got a stack of records from new including the window sticker, the last 5 years or so of which were with the shop I work for. It's been loved and cared for, but is at the point where it needed someone like one of us to save it. Not long before I got it the suspension was completely gone through front and rear, with bushings all around and Bilsteins up front. The head has been off and refreshed about 30k ago and the chain was done (by me at the shop) at that time. It has numerous needs, but is fundamentally solid mechanically,if a bit weak in the cosmetics, mostly in the interior. At least it's all stock and unmolested by bodywork or paint! The previous owner is a good customer at the shop, and I asked him years ago to let me know if he ever decided to sell. Sure enough he did, and held the car for me while I put money together, so we were both happy with $7000. A couple pics from immediately after purchase:
1sickm5

Post by 1sickm5 »

Now I'm a tad p.o.'d......No disrespect to Mr. Perry because I have seen some of the great cars he has put up for sale. However, I only knew of one M5 in the US that had lower miles than mine (had 25K) when I sold it. People on this site were saying that "shouldn't get more than $20k for it" and he has one go for $25k+? I think it falls to who in this community website people will buy it from. My M5 was the cleanest (I believe) the back seats were brand new (orginial to the car) but no creases, no rock chips,perfect paint literally 10/10 all around......

Just my thoughts
Sincerely a former M5 owner,

1sickm5
RonP

Post by RonP »

People on this site were saying that "shouldn't get more than $20k for it" and he has one go for $25k+?
Duane,

Although I have made a name for myself with my cars and this community, I think it's fair to say that I only use this forum as a reference. I usually get other opinions on what a car like yours or mine would sell for and then go with my gut feeling on what I think I can get for the car. Most of the time, the kind folks here and other friends or forums you seek may not have the full grasp on what is real or what isn't. As most whom have done it know, I always respond to my PMs from this forum and welcome all to send me one if needed if you have a question about value or just want to pick my brain.

I found the other car I mentioned that sold for $35,000 on Bimmerforums and everyone was lashing out at the guy saying his car wasn't worth what he was asking. He then had the last laugh when he sold it for his asking price. Just goes to show ya!
1sickm5

Post by 1sickm5 »

Man, I can really kick myself now......appreciate your feedback and again, no derogs intended. ;)

Have you sold your latest outstanding vehicle yet?

Regards,
Duane
RonP

Post by RonP »

I just secured a deal on the car and once the money is wired, I will end the auction early. BTW, no offense taken but I am here if you need help.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

RonP wrote:As most whom have done it know, I always respond to my PMs from this forum and welcome all to send me one if needed if you have a question about value or just want to pick my brain.
It's lots of fun. I received some excellent and useful information from him. :D