M5 Prices

Specific conversations and info for the BMW E28 M5 and M535i.
1st 5er

Re: M5 Prices

Post by 1st 5er »

:wave:
L_N_Love

Post by L_N_Love »

I traded for an 88 M5 sometime around 2009 or 2010... hard to remember offhand. The M5 was nice and fun to drive. Unfortunately, 2 yrs later I was rear-ended. Totaled it. Another one was brought to my attention on here. I bought that one which was far from perfect and drove it daily for 8 years. I sold her for almost 3 times what I paid.
L_N_Love

Post by L_N_Love »

M5BB wrote: Jul 01, 2020 7:21 PM My black on black (Black Betty after the song) continues to give me and her visitors great pleasure.
A little over 180000 now and driven at least a couple times a month.
She lives a sheltered life in my garage with a dehumidifier running in the summer. Atlanta humidity produces mold very quickly.
She is insured with Hagerty for $60k.

If you don't know me I have been a regular on here since 2003 when I owned my white 533i. I bought the M5 in 2007.
I built a pretty amazing engine for mine in 2009 when I burned a piston in her doing DE's at Road Atlanta. Made it to 140 on the back straight.
Currently has 361 HP at the crank, 325 Ft lbs of torque. It's as fast as my DD E46 M3.
Look up my build under M5bb.
Prices are going up and really good clean original cars are getting hard to find. EAG has one for over $100k. Under 50k miles.
Originality is the way to go with this car. Mine is not but tastefully modified. I have NOT done the euro bumpers because of the one of 30 black on black M5's. You can read all about it in the section I started about black interior M5's.
Hope to see you all after this crappy virus is over. Black Betty went to a meet at a brewery on Sunday and got lots of attention. At least from the guys that know what it is. Many under 30 don't have a clue. LOL.
Later,
Gary Beck
Atlanta, GA

I can attest that your M5 is a beast. She pulls really hard. I have a modified E90 with upgraded turbos now..... It can be a little scary so I am taking it easy.
KDAWG97M3

Post by KDAWG97M3 »

I have a M5 I am looking at. 259k miles. It needs everything. Body is in good shape. All vin tags in place. But leaks like crazy, interior is shot. Dash is trashed. Needs suspension. Motor will need rebuilt some time. It runs good and doesn’t smoke… what do you guys think it’s worth?? Just a shot in the dark?
1st 5er

Post by 1st 5er »

KDAWG97M3 wrote: Mar 29, 2022 9:52 PM I have a M5 I am looking at. 259k miles. It needs everything. Body is in good shape. All vin tags in place. But leaks like crazy, interior is shot. Dash is trashed. Needs suspension. Motor will need rebuilt some time. It runs good and doesn’t smoke… what do you guys think it’s worth?? Just a shot in the dark?
Sounds like the opposite of mine.
$15Kish I think is probably fair.
optig

Post by optig »

L_N_Love wrote: Mar 09, 2022 8:21 PM I traded for an 88 M5 sometime around 2009 or 2010... hard to remember offhand. The M5 was nice and fun to drive. Unfortunately, 2 yrs later I was rear-ended. Totaled it. Another one was brought to my attention on here. I bought that one which was far from perfect and drove it daily for 8 years. I sold her for almost 3 times what I paid.
Sounds like a perfect deal - 3 times what you paid ;)

I sold mine for about 1.5 cheaper than what I paid, so congrats man!
York

Post by York »

For what you get e28 M5's are reasonably priced
RoyW

Post by RoyW »

One with high mileage and that needs a lot of work mechanically and cosmetically (and far more than meets the eye, once it's stripped down) just sold this week on BaT for $28K. Thus, IMO, raising the value of all e28 M5s, especially high-quality examples. There are maybe 600-800 of these U.S ones left I would guess... so, they are rare and becoming more so every day?

-RoyW
e24mpwr

Post by e24mpwr »

Wouldn't it be nice if we could get accurate numbers on this kind of thing?
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

BaT has pretty good historical pricing info and being able to see and judge the car that sold for X helps to give context to the values. Naturally there are outliers on both ends of the spectrum.
e24mpwr

Post by e24mpwr »

wkohler wrote: Apr 06, 2023 10:35 PM BaT has pretty good historical pricing info and being able to see and judge the car that sold for X helps to give context to the values. Naturally there are outliers on both ends of the spectrum.
Agree - I was mainly thinking of numbers vs. prices.

I have a rough idea of how many M635's I think made it over the to USA, for example, but no way to verify it. :\
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Oh, I guess I should have read back in the thread to see that the discussion shifted to surviving numbers. It’s too bad we don’t have something in the US like the do in the UK where you can see how many are left on the road. Sure it’s not perfect, but it’s better than running a carfox on every vin for fun.
Alfaenth

Post by Alfaenth »

Hello, I'm new to the forum. Wanted to see if the collective wisdom here could educate me on what to look out for with a high-mile M5. Currently have an '88 325iX and am looking to step up to an M5. Thanks in advance.
Preyupy

Post by Preyupy »

The biggest thing to look for is RUST, then collision damage that has been poorly repaired.

The next big caution is engine maintanance. The M88/S38 is a great engine that will live a long time but there are some things that need to be inspected and maintained. Probably the most common and largest expense is the timing chain guides and tensioners. If they are worn or broken this is a big job $$$$$$. Another not so uncommon problem is cracked cylinder heads if the car has been run hard or overheated at some point.

The unique M5 trim pieces are for the most part NLA so making sure you have them and they are in good condition is important (from a value point of view). The same goes for some of the unique M5 interior pieces and things like trunk panels and battery covers etc.

The suspension is just basic E28 so things like busings, bearings, shocks etc are items that do wear out with time and miles.

The original 280 transmission is known to have bearing and shift fork issues and there are not many parts available (or people that know how to work on them).

Having someone that knows the cars well have a look at it BEFORE you spend any money is highly recommended.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Preyupy wrote: Aug 22, 2023 7:27 PMThe suspension is just basic E28 so things like busings, bearings, shocks etc are items that do wear out with time and miles.
Well there were a few M-specific items:
-Springs
-Sway Bars (stock is 25mm/19mm with specific bushings and mounts)
-Rear Suspension: OEM M5's shipped with a hydraulic Self Leveling System (SLS). It is pretty rare to find an original SLS in tact and as such, most were replaced with conventional Bilstein Sport shocks. If you do find an SLS have it thoroughly inspected as it might need a lot of repair work.
-Brakes: Not exactly suspension items, but the M5 shipped with unique brake calipers and slightly larger rotors.
-Steering Box: Also an unique M5/M6 component as it has an extra few rotations L/R. They are rare and expensive if you need to replace it.
-Misc: There are specific M5/M6 heat shields under the exhaust manifold side to protect suspension bits; also rare and expensive to replace any of them.
Preyupy wrote: Aug 22, 2023 7:27 PM Having someone that knows the cars well have a look at it BEFORE you spend any money is highly recommended.
Word. Having a proper PPI done by a knowledgeable M5/M6 mechanic is the ONLY way to buy one. Make sure they're reputable with this generation of M5, not your average modern BMW/German mechanic.

Good luck!
Preyupy

Post by Preyupy »

Yes there are a number of unique suspension pieces but for someone that is doing an inspection if they don't do their homework and know the difference it will look like standard pieces. That is why it is important for someone that KNOWS these cars to inspect it. Not just someone that is a good mechanic that will look for damage, wear, rust, or missing pieces on a PPI
York

Post by York »

I began wanting a m5 in 1987 when the first ones were offered at dealerships. In October of 1987 the United States economy was in serious trouble with the event know as black Monday, the stock market plunged 22.5 %, today that would be a drop of aprox 8000 .
30 years passed and in 2018 I started ambitiously a all out effort to locate the right m5 . I traveled all over the USA and wasted a lot of money looking at scammers, hidden rust, gas station restoration’s and watching EAG gobble up every nice car before I got a chance.
The one thing I did learn was badly rusted cars are in the end, the most expensive of all, a complete remanufacture of engine and transmission is not just expensive but, difficult to locate a qualified mechanic/ machine shop/ transmission builder.
I have had Korman do this on my 72 O2, their work is among considered among the best.
I found the right car on BAT , $50,000 in receipts from
Korman , no rust, all original.
I purchased for $53K
I still needed to replace the a/c ( I’m in Florida), the oil cooler lines and remove a aftermarket sound system.
I drive to car shows and wax itImage[/img][/img]
Machtig

Post by Machtig »

York wrote: Oct 14, 2023 7:52 AM I began wanting a m5 in 1987 when the first ones were offered at dealerships. In October of 1987 the United States economy was in serious trouble with the event know as black Monday, the stock market plunged 22.5 %, today that would be a drop of aprox 8000 .
30 years passed and in 2018 I started ambitiously a all out effort to locate the right m5 . I traveled all over the USA and wasted a lot of money looking at scammers, hidden rust, gas station restoration’s and watching EAG gobble up every nice car before I got a chance.
The one thing I did learn was badly rusted cars are in the end, the most expensive of all, a complete remanufacture of engine and transmission is not just expensive but, difficult to locate a qualified mechanic/ machine shop/ transmission builder.
I have had Korman do this on my 72 O2, their work is among considered among the best.
I found the right car on BAT , $50,000 in receipts from
Korman , no rust, all original.
I purchased for $53K
I still needed to replace the a/c ( I’m in Florida), the oil cooler lines and remove a aftermarket sound system.
I drive to car shows and wax itImage[/img][/img]
Is this your car? Very nice example! https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-bmw-m5-114/
York

Post by York »

Yes