1988 M5 - to buy or not to buy?

Specific conversations and info for the BMW E28 M5 and M535i.

Post by Guest »

Hi everyone - looking for some advice here.... I have been looking at BMW's for atleast a couple of years now - trying to figure out what I really want. Especially as a '1st' BMW. I've been ad admiring fan for many many years now.

I've stumbled upon a 1988 M5 with 170K miles. Car looks exceptional. Supposedly no paint work and no interior work - and for a 17 year old car, it looks just as good as our 4 year old SUV from a condition perspective.

Any thoughts on whether or not this is something worthwhile? I don't have a lot of time for maintenance and repair - can do a few things on my own - and also have 3 kids to help drag around to ball practices and such....so I need something that is reliable and won't take a lot of maintenance. I do know these are pretty rare and I see hardly any at all.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Walk away.

These cars are unownable unless you do all work yourself.

Just my opinion

Matt - 88 M5 since year 2000.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

That completely answers the question. They are high-strung cars needing proper feeding and car which you indicate you don't have the time to do. Wait until you have the time to devote to it.
RonP

Post by RonP »

Please see my reply on the old board.
FastFiver

Post by FastFiver »

Don't take this the wrong way, but I think you probably would be best off not getting any BMW, as more often than not they tend to need constant attention. If you can afford to have someone do the work for you, that's another thing entirely. It seems like you would be better off with a Honda/Toyota/Acura/Lexus if you just want a reliable sedan to cart youngin's around in.