Well, with all this talk, it looks like my next car will hav

Specific conversations and info for the BMW E28 M5 and M535i.
fastpat

Post by fastpat »

A euro-M5, preferrably in either Lachsilber, Red, or blue. I may have to go to Germany to buy it, not enough of them here.

Gotta do it.! :cool: :D
TT

Post by TT »

Pat, I have said for ahwile now that if I sold my last 535i (wife told me "I would not" ever be selling it) that it would be for a really nice M535i or a euro M5. So when this thing popped up, I made the move. I had heavy mixed feeling at first, but they are long gone. I have never been impressed with the US M5, as my last 2 535i's would hang with them. But a euro M5....it's the rare factor.

:D
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Getting to the years when importing a Euro E28 M5 can avoid a bunch of the import requirements since they are approaching 25 yrs old. Maybe an older Alpina B7 could hold ya over until the M5 age enough.
RonP

Post by RonP »

That's the spirit Pat! Don't let the naysayers or player haters get you discouraged. I do know the guy who has the Salmon Silver for sale in Germany and I have been trying to reason with him about the price!!!! So far I got him to $13,000 and with all the rest of the B.S. (shipping, duty, federalizing, etc.) that would bring it over $20,000 real fast. Maybe Duke or T.C. could bring one in and save you some $$$. I have also heard of cars coming in through Canada and avoiding alot of the money issues as well. If I can help, please let me know.
Ron

Post by Guest »

Pat,

Don't limit yourself to Germany, think Europe.

I also don't know how many decent examples still exist in Europe today. Most of the better examples are probably priced about right but federalization tends to bump up the price abit. If youre really serious the way I'd go about it is to import into Canada, they only have a 15 year limit, so nothing has to be changed. From Canada, I've heard Virginia is the place to head for and have the car titled. Once you have a valid title in Virginia it shouldn't be too hard to get it retitled in most states. The biggest issue is if emissions testing and a safety inspection are required in your home state for titling a new to you car from out of state.

Duke and TC can't really help. The feds closed the military loophole years ago.

From what I've seen on eBay.de and the Euro equivilent of Autotrader, the best examples of the Euro M5 probably exist in the US.

Rich
shifty

Post by shifty »

What makes Virginia the land of opportunity? Some kind of loophole with VINs or something? I know registering an imported car with a non-US VIN is usually a royal PITA with most DMVs.

Post by Guest »

Brad,

I don't remember who posted about Virginia, maybe "Ted in T.O." but I do recall a post about this on the old Forum.

Rich