E28 M5 Euro Suspension Conversion (with photos)

Specific conversations and info for the BMW E28 M5 and M535i.
austin_caccavo

E28 M5 Euro Suspension Conversion (with photos)

Post by austin_caccavo »

Hello all! Long time no post on here, but after months of searching (and waiting), I recently sourced/installed all the parts needed to properly* convert my M5 to Euro spec.

Since there is such little info/photos of this setup online, I figured I'd make a post of what I sourced (+ photos of how it sits):

FRONT
→ Euro M5 BMW springs (7-17pt)** [31332225024]
→ US M5 BMW BOGE shocks (selected since the Euro BOGEs are NLA) [31311133517]

REAR
→ Euro M5 BMW springs [33531130723]
→ Euro M5 BMW BOGE shocks [33522225898]

I may be in the 1% of people to remove lowering springs, but for anyone who's frustrated with the compromise of aftermarket spring/shock setups and/or looking for an OEM solution, I highly recommend the setup above. I have about 3000mi on these, and it's extremely compliant, comfortable, and looks/feels like a brand new car (if it was 1988). Everything above was sourced through a combination of Schmiedmann, BluntTech, and, of course, Christopher Kohler. While this entire combination is not cheap, it is one of the best things I've ever done to the car.

Hopefully this is helpful!

*while this is not a perfect conversion given the US spec BOGE front shocks, this is as close as I was able to get (although I'm sure there are a pair of NOS Euro BOGEs out there...)

**I selected these for a slight drop opposed to the 18+ pt, but the ride height still measures 10-20mm higher than that of the BMW microfiche specifications. I also have a set of Euro M5 0-6pt springs that I likely won't install. They have the same free height so I assume the only difference is the rate here.

Last edited by austin_caccavo on Jul 31, 2023 2:18 PM, edited 2 times in total.
tschultz

Re: E28 M5 Euro Suspension Conversion (with photos)

Post by tschultz »

Really looks amazing!
charofire

Post by charofire »

Looks great! How do the stock shocks compare to Billy HD's? Not the Billy Sports, but the stock height HD's.
austin_caccavo

Post by austin_caccavo »

charofire wrote: May 17, 2023 12:35 PM Looks great! How do the stock shocks compare to Billy HD's? Not the Billy Sports, but the stock height HD's.
I've never installed HDs on an E28, but since they have the same valving (yet different free lengths, bump stops, perches), I would imagine they would ride quite similar. I had B8s (M5 spec) in the past and was very disappointed with how stiff and jarring they were when paired w/ H&R springs. The current setup rides like a stock car and feels absolutely phenomenal - lots of travel, fun on the backroads, perfect in the city (and highway), and lots of oversteer oddly enough.
lenaxia

Post by lenaxia »

I also put the euro m5 suspension into my car and really enjoy it. It's firm but still comfortable in the city roads. You do lose SLS, but after driving it, it's definitely worth it.
41magfan

Post by 41magfan »

I tried H&R with Bilsteins, ST with Bilsteins , and Eibachs with Bilsteins and I found the H&R were the worst paring of all, ST were the best of these, but the best of all and NLA now was what I settled on 20 odd years ago was Koni gas adjustable with factory Mtechnic. H&R was a complete loser when I called them to try to get them research and correct an obvious problem with the E28 M car.
kerry

Post by kerry »

I noticed that my SLS sprung a pretty good leak today. I guess it's now decision time for me. The only replacement setup I see is the Bilstein/H&R package deal sold by Turner, but you guys have me a bit worried about the harshness. I checked out the two sites mentioned by Austin but I didn't see anything there. Any suggestions for sources would be much appreciated.