Tires for a m5 ( not tracked) ?

Specific conversations and info for the BMW E28 M5 and M535i.
York

Tires for a m5 ( not tracked) ?

Post by York »

I searched but, only found dated information.
I appreciate high quality tires and I feel safer at high speeds with fresh rubber.
I'm not a track enthusiast, just a road tripper.
I drive from South Florida each year to The Vintage .
I'm interested in Michelin Pilot Sport and Perilli or what other
Suggested.
Thanks
Blue Shadow

Re: Tires for a m5 ( not tracked) ?

Post by Blue Shadow »

have you looked at tirerack ratings of the different types of tires? Pick one near the top of the category you want and roll happy.
Etip

Post by Etip »

I hate to sound snarky, but almost any decent performance tire can out handle most of the street driving you'll ever do.
Modern tires are so much more advanced than anything the car originally came with.
York

Post by York »

I know about tire rack and I know modern tires are great.
Im looking for reply's from those with experience in
Perilli and Michelin ( or other) who can offer reviews
Fanclutchnut

Post by Fanclutchnut »

We are looking for tires soon as well. I know Firestone Indy 500s are regarded as a budget friendly performance favorite. They come in the right size for the M5. Unless I find something else, this is probably what we will go with.
EuroShark

Post by EuroShark »

I'm using the Continental ExtremeContact Sport on both M5s and I'm really happy with them. Quiet, smooth, grippy and they seem to be fairly durable. They are also less expensive than any comparable Michelin.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Michelin Pilot Sport 4. Costco has $150 off on a set of 4 installed. I have several aging sets of the Continentals, too, but it's exciting Michelin is making the summer tire in both 205/55/16 and 225/50/16. I have gotten a few sets of these installed over the last couple years and they are really great.

It's a bummer Pirelli doesn't make the P700 in 225/50/16 as that's the original tire. You can get the P7, but not the P700. :(
tn535i

Post by tn535i »

My favorite budget tire is the General GMax AS05 - General is owned by Continental and this is probably almost the same tire as the Extreme DWS. I run them on the 535 and my son has had two sets on his LGT. I have heard few good things about Firestone or their tire stores so I wouldn't go there.

I am a fan of Michelin and have always put Michelin (non performance) tires on my wife's car. I find their performance tires are noisy as my son has had a set or two on the e46. I believe Pirelli runs quieter and smoother than others and I've used a couple variations of AS P-Zero's on my M6.

You have to remember that our old cars, even the M5, were never built or designed with hardware suited to low profile ultra high performance tires. The Pirelli's Kholer mentioned are what they were tuned to run.
Tinkwithanr

Post by Tinkwithanr »

I've been very happy with the Continental DWS on my car for the past few years. They've held up well and give plenty of grip in imperfect weather conditions the few times I have to drive through them.

Previously I had the DW version which is not rated for snow and has a much lower treadwear rating. They may have been a bit more grippy, but they wore out so fast it wasn't worth the trade off.
York

Post by York »

I appreciate all who have replied.
I don't have a budget so my attention turns to the Michelin
Pilot sports or the perilli p700
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

The P700 only comes in 215/50/15 and 225/45/16, so it won’t work for the M5.

I’d go for either the Pilot Sport 4 or the Pilot sport All-Season 4. The latter has a tread pattern that fits the car. I have been happy with both tires.
monkey.wrench

Post by monkey.wrench »

EuroShark wrote: Apr 13, 2023 11:40 AM I'm using the Continental ExtremeContact Sport on both M5s and I'm really happy with them. Quiet, smooth, grippy and they seem to be fairly durable. They are also less expensive than any comparable Michelin.
+1 to this. I think they are as good as you can get in factory sizes. Very impressive. To me, almost imperceptibly different from the Michelin PSX (which I use on other cars). They rate just behind the latest PS4X in tests and ahead of everything else from other brands.

The Michelin Pilot Exalto is very, very old (15 year old tech). The Continental will without question be better. If you want a nuanced recommendation for the right tire amongst those available in these sizes, call Tire Rack. they know them all back to front.
York

Post by York »

Again, thanks to all who replied.
If anyone discovers this and can contribute further
Please chime in