Road trip spare parts

Specific conversations and info for the BMW E28 M5 and M535i.
York

Road trip spare parts

Post by York »

I'm coming from 20 years of bmw O2's ownership
( still have my 1972)
I'm the new owner of a recently rebuilt 1988 bmw
M5 and have plans for cross country road trips this year.
My trip spares for my 1972 O2 was:
1. Oil pressure switch
2. Alternator, voltage regulator and fuses
3. Hoses
4. Belts
5. Oil/Distilled water
6. Spare headlight
7. Wiper blades
8. 2nd spare tire
Many of the above parts are small and it all fits into
a box with my tools.
I'd like to know if anyone here has a comprehensive list of
Parts that can unpredictably fail.

Thanks in advance for answer
Mike W.

Re: Road trip spare parts

Post by Mike W. »

I've been known to pack spares, but still travel a little bit lighter.

1. Oil pressure switch If you're really suspicious about it, just replace it before the trip. At worst it shouldn't be hard to find on the road.

2. Alternator, voltage regulator and fuses I have often traveled with a spare regulator, but the alternator itself very rarely fails so I would skip it. Fuses? of course! I also sometimes pack a spare fuel pump and strongly suggest a spare main relay. A speed/reference sensor too. Just one, they're the same, but if either dies it's a no run. A bit of wire and spare terminals aren't a bad idea too.

3. Hoses If you suspect them, replace them prior. At most I would only pack the hottest, like the supply to the radiator

4. Belts

5. Oil/Distilled water Always good.

6. Spare headlight Sealed beams are getting rare, but if you're on H1/H4 I'd just pack a spare bulb of each.

7. Wiper blades If they're bad, change them before you leave. Otherwise I wouldn't bother, it's not like you're going to wear them out on a trip.

8. 2nd spare tire I wouldn't even consider it unless you plan to spend considerable time on dirt/rocky roads. Maybe a can or two of fix a flat or whatever, but not a whole spare.

And of course make sure you have a meter in your tools. Even a HF cheapie. But something.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

I looked at this and it reminded me of another recent thread here (road kit starting on page 2):viewtopic.php?f=2&t=159171&start=25

I agree with Mike:
-Skip the 2nd spare tire; there's just not that much room in an E28 for another one and the odds you will need two are unlikely. Carry a small tire pump instead.
-Skip the Altenator: yes on the VR and Capictor though. Pack a spare Coil also.
-Yes on the all the Fuses. You and Mike failed to mention Relays though; big time on this item especially the Main and Fuel Pump ones. Be sure you get the correct ones.
-Hoses: Yes, but I can't recall if the S38 has the same hose setup with the vulnerable plastic T-fittings. If it does have these, bring spares.
-Wiper Blades: Skip, replace before leaving and you can always find an auto parts store somewhere if you do need some.
-Yes on the Water (Distilled). I am paranoid after a complete hose failure one trip to Portland wherein I lost the entire cooling fluid in the middle of nowhere. I always travel with at least 3 gallons from now on; usually one of those is a 50/50 mix with BMW Blue.

Some other items:
-Jump Battery: One of those Lithium Ion emergency batteries are absolutely invaluable for not just your car battery but all your electronics as well. Small, compact easily recharged and much better than a set of jumper cables. I have one in all my cars always.
-Bentley's Manual: Print or pdf on your device.
-Small Floor Jack: Okay, so I know what I said about space in the trunk of an E28 (more so with an M5 with the battery back there), but a small inexpensive floor jack or even bottle jacks are much better than the BMW factory jack in a pinch.
-Breaker Bar: Be sure you have at least a 1/2" 24" Breaker Bar with a 17mm deep socket for your wheels.

I'm sure I can think of others, but look at the discussion in that post link above.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

This stuff will cause problems and could be hard to get if you don't have them:

a spare ECU - expensive, but worth it if you're in the middle of nowhere. May as well have someone look at the transistor solder joints in yours anyway as a preventative measure.

Main and fuel pump relays, extra fuses - the Main relay has 5 pins with 2 "87" Many people will try to sell you 87 and 87a 5-pin relay. Doesn't work. I have fixed 2 cars this year that had the wrong relays. Fuel pump relay can be subbed for horn relay, but why bother. They're located above the glovebox by the ECU.

reference sensors on the bellhousing. If reference dies, you'll get somewhere but car won't restart, if speed dies, car dies and of course won't restart.

Fuel pump
a couple meters of 8x13 fuel hose and some clamps
coolant temperature switch (the blue one in the water pipe on the right side of the head)

all 3 exhaust hangers (2 resonator and the rear muffler), some safety wire and safety-wire pliers

Both the double T fitting above the "upper" radiator hose and the big T fitting under the plenum.

Carry the oil pressure switch, but it's a bitch to get to on the front of the filter housing, so replace that if you don't have a record of it being replaced. Yes, it's different than the one you carry for the '02. correct part has a 24mm hex, parts store replacements are 22mm

You don't want to remove the alternator on the road if you don't have to (oil cooler hoses in the way), but it's not a bad idea to carry a spare. At least you'll know where your voltage regulator is.

Tire plug kit. Big enough puncture and no air pump is going to help (bring one though). Black Jack makes a decent one around $50. I've had good luck with it.

Distributor cap and rotor

12v test light, wire, test leads (the ones with the insulated aligator clips), some steel cable in case the throttle cable fails (you can get it going then use the cruise from there), multimeter, something to lay on while you're doing reference sensors or the fuel pump
York

Post by York »

My sincere thanks for both of the above thoughtful responses.
What a great community.
My car was restored by Ray Korman who also restored my O2
I have a great deal of faith in his methods.
I do not have faith in Bosch rebuilds and other new components.
I also realize many of these aforementioned/ recommended spares involve difficult labor but, having them for a mechanic can be half the battle with vintage parts.
On my maiden voyage with the 1972 O2 one spare tire wasn't enough and there wasn't another 13 inch in the state of Georgia that weekend. I'm all for a floor jack and square of plywood, always check my spare tire .
How abundant are Mitchlin pilloried sports in our size ?
I'm heading to the vintage this year and because, I will continue to collect my road trip kit
Thanks again
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

Pilot Sport All-Season 4 is available in 225/50/16 and shouldn’t be too hard to get but would probably be at minimum a day away depending on where you’re at. If you have original spare with the original pirelli, might be worth putting that in the living room and just getting another wheel for a fresh tire so you’ll always have a good one and won’t be driving on a valuable asset.
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

York wrote: Mar 23, 2023 10:13 PM
I also realize many of these aforementioned/ recommended spares involve difficult labor but
No not really. For a couple of things perhaps a bit of troubleshooting, but really no more work than changing a spare tire.
On my maiden voyage with the 1972 O2 one spare tire wasn't enough and there wasn't another 13 inch in the state of Georgia that weekend.
You likely have at least 16s, in a pinch on the road it just has to fit on the wheel, not rub and hold air. Shouldn't be a problem.