S38 coil on plug questions.

Specific conversations and info for the BMW E28 M5 and M535i.
robertodonnell

S38 coil on plug questions.

Post by robertodonnell »

Morning guys,

I'm hoping you can shed some light for coil on plug solutions for my S38B35? What coils are a good fit, and what you did to mount thrm.

I've seen Anri's setup here, and I really like the OEM style look...

https://youtu.be/_NO-f-XUTsk

Cheers,

Robert
Philo

Re: S38 coil on plug questions.

Post by Philo »

Long ago I put an after market ECU on my S38 and used e34 M5 coils and vale cover which made things super easy. The e34 M5 valve cover was hard to find back then, probably impossible these days, so I would look towards the JDM market for something that will work. You have to get the right depth and then fabricate a mount plate to work with your valve cover.

I remember when I was researching this conversion that there was a e28 member that made spark plug adapters to bridge the gap between his coil stick ends and the spark plug.

Anyway, you can use just about any coil on plug that's available in the market, but the trick is getting the right length/depth and mount.

Hope this helps. Btw, I have some old E34 M5 coils in the garage. Let me know if you want the free of charge. Just pay the shipping.
robertodonnell

Post by robertodonnell »

Hi Philo,

I do appreciate the offer of the coils - but being in Australia might knock me around too much with postage! On that note, getting the S38b38 cover would be hard enough, then the shipping to here would be once again too much!

I really like the way that E24 arrangement looks. That is the style or look I would like to gun for, as it keeps in theme with the exposed coil tops and loom.

Cheers,

Robert
Philo

Post by Philo »

No worries, good luck with the project. Anri is a friend and a great resource for modifications. He'll steer you in the right direction.

Cheers !!
Die Rakete

Post by Die Rakete »

My car is with Anri now for this exact modification (plus a couple more to go with it).
Philo

Post by Philo »

Die, what engine management software are you going with ?
Die Rakete

Post by Die Rakete »

Haltech, since that is what Anri utilizes for his performance package.
robertodonnell

Post by robertodonnell »

I'm using Haltech Elite 750. Ari used this on the red M635, and my tuner also recommended it.
fgristina

Post by fgristina »

Timely topic for me as I am also doing a coil near plug conversion of my e28 M5. I am a MS3Pro Evo. Sourced my IGN1A smart coils tonight. Philo, you mentioned the JDM market for spark boots. It does look like Series-B JDM engines have a similar boot that snugs onto the valve cover. I can buy a set of four spark to distributor for about the cost of one BERU deep connector. Any idea if those Series B boots fit S38. Attaching link to JDM website. Thanks for thoughts
https://jdmignition.com/products/street ... ies-purple
Philo

Post by Philo »

I have no idea what from the JDM side will fit the S38 head. You'll have to play around with different setups and find something that is a bit longer than the Beru stem and then make a custom mount plate. I mentioned JDM because there's a ton of product out there and the cost is lower than the German coils. But don't discount all the other M coils as a possibility. Something has to be close to the size you need. Visit some local M and JDM tuner shops and see if you can get some old coils to play with. Good luck !

Also, did you reach out to Anri yet ? Take a look at this - https://bigcoupe.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=31797
fgristina

Post by fgristina »

Wow, that Anri set up is sick, I am jealous. However, when I bought this M5 from my cousins estate it was already modded beyond the functionality of the Motronic and MAF. Back in early 90s it was Dinanized to a point and they added a low pressure turbo. Due to rich rich running and flooding I decided modern ECU was only way to tune and adjust for non stock components which included Turbo, aftercooler, and large low impedance injectors, a slam and some amazing Work Meister S1 3P rims that must be 1990's. I am glad I have made the investments but I'm putting it all back together now. This is a long way of saying, I wish I could simply do the Anri package but this beast is beyond that kind of redemption. Rest assured I love the car and will make it growl again. I got the time and some of the money.
I like the coil on plug for sure but I am kinda interested in coil near plug and trying to get a little space and heat shield between my coils and that valve cover. I have seen some very cool coil brackets online or I may try to fab one myself. I will send pics if I can figure that out. Everytime I do figure it out I go away from the board for a while and forget.

Frank
Philo

Post by Philo »

I suggest you reach out to Anri.., I know him personally and he helped with my S54 conversion. He's a wealth of knowledge when it comes to swaps and mods.

Also, I'm intrigued by your Dinan comment. Is your M an original Dinan turbo ? Does it have orange silicone throttle/plenum intake pieces? And the intercooler mounted forward of the drivers front fender well ? Really curious.

So, coil near plug or coil on plug is basically the same thing. Whatever you can get to work. However, coil on plug is a much cleaner look. The near coil look is soo 90s.. lol. PM Anri !

Post some pic, would love to see this car.
fgristina

Post by fgristina »

I am hoping this photo will post but at the least you can go to google pics to see. So it is my understanding that Dinan did the turbo and the turbo manifold is labeled Dinan. The after-cooler is behind the driver headlights feeding into the plenum. The plenum is not orange but polished aluminum. Later in this cars life it went to a very nice man named Frank Fahey. He did a bunch of stuff to the car and tried to fix some things he did not like. I have spoken with him and he is the one that said the car will never run right without coil on plug and modern ECU. The picture I am trying to attach show the original state of the engine bay. It is way way different now.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipM ... rfDi8O1exe

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipP ... EKNFRnunCn

Philo

Post by Philo »

Can't see the images. Getting a 404 from Mr. Google. you can email them to me - philo88m5@gmail.com

So Frank worked on the car ? Are you in CA ? I agree, if you get the S38 set up on a Haltec, Motec, or other after market system you'll be very happy although it's not going to be plug and play. You'll need a different crank sensor, coil on plugs, cam sensor if you want to run sequential injection, a new engine wiring harness, a base fuel and timing map to get the engine started, and then lots of dyno time. Again, Anri has been down this road several times so think about that option.

Also, from memory the original Dinan inner cooler is small so upgrading that to something more current would be killer.
fgristina

Post by fgristina »

I like 90s look... even a little 80s. I would put a louvre shade on rear if I could find a good one ;-). No I am in Virginia. Sounds like a lot of work but I have the time. I will definitely reach out to Anri. Thanks for all your help.
If anyone is looking for set of 17 JDM Rims let me know. I don't nee a lot for them but can't just give them away :-)
euroclassicmotors

Post by euroclassicmotors »

Hi,

Coil on plug set up I offer with the cams stand alone
package. Great advantages to be had.

Regards,
Anri