distributor protection cap part no.?

Specific conversations and info for the BMW E28 M5 and M535i.
sheebs

distributor protection cap part no.?

Post by sheebs »

In a fit of unwarranted tidying up under the hood, I ordered the "protection cap" for the distributor, which has always been missing on my car.
realoem said it was part number 12121716299. What arrived, however, is a larger different cap which definitely does not fit. Went back to realoem and tried several different build years of the S38 for both the e28 M5 as well as the e24 M6, all list this part no. Googling it seems to say that's an e34 protection cap (i.e. i didn't look closely enough at the pics before blindly ordering the part)...first time realoem has let me astray.

Anyone run into this? I'm guessing the actual part i need is NLA... It's largely a cosmetic thing I'm guessing, so not a huge deal, but now I'm emotionally invested :laugh:

Per realoem:

This is what part no.12121716299 actually is...might make a nice snack bowl:
uzayas

Re: distributor protection cap part no.?

Post by uzayas »

It looks similar to me 1230591009. This from Euro M535

marek

Post by marek »

That part is NLA. I had the same issue when I ordered the cap in 2018. You will have to find a used one.
sheebs

Post by sheebs »

marek wrote: Oct 05, 2022 9:50 AM That part is NLA. I had the same issue when I ordered the cap in 2018. You will have to find a used one.
Ah, that's what i was afraid of. Thanks for the confirmation.
No can return some of the BMW parts once ordered. If anyone needs an e34 cover, lemme know!

Rich
Etip

Post by Etip »

If you still want the part number I can pull the one off my car and get it for you. Just let me know.