Raising rear window manually

Specific conversations and info for the BMW E28 M5 and M535i.
milarsky

Raising rear window manually

Post by milarsky »

Hello friends.

I am on the road from Santa Fe to New York, and my rear window will not raise. I am able to manually (with my arm) raise the window but it seems to slide down. Is it possible that I can manually crank this with the "z" tool in the kit? Can anyone quickly guide me on how to do this? I pulled the door card and protective plastic, but not sure where to insert the tool.

many thanks,
Jeff
Aldo525

Re: Raising rear window manually

Post by Aldo525 »

Hello,

"Z" tool is used on the sliding roof if the electrical system fails. For windows the tool is another one included on big tool box...I believe in short tool box are not included (not sure). The tools required are: one is like a screwdriver but allen bit in one extreme (the other extreme use the same "gray" part of the screwdriver) plus a plastic socket.

This "tool (allen + socket)" is used to move the mechanism to lift the window. If you are able to raise with your hands that means the glass are separated of the mechanical support, so you need to move that lifting mechanism to lean on it the glass....
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

This discussion happened in the other thread by the op. Don't know why he needed two threads.
Was it urgency?
Did he think the M535i and M5 have different window mechanisms? IDK. But here is a link to the other thread:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=158909
milarsky

Post by milarsky »

Yes, this was cross-posted, and I figured this one should be removed, as all the information (thank you all!) was found in the other.

Webmaster, can you please remove this thread?