M5 front bearings

Specific conversations and info for the BMW E28 M5 and M535i.
Machtig

Re: M5 front bearings

Post by Machtig »

Just bought a set; should be here in a few days. Thanks for the info.
Machtig

Post by Machtig »

Mine got here in 3 days! This is what you get

a2058

Post by a2058 »

Just saw it on bimmerforum but this part is now once again available, ECS, FCP, Rockauto etc. Howver it was also noted on the manufacturer website that the part is to be discontinued so I guess now is the last chance to get them while you can! Rockauto listed this at $57 each, it’s the Schaffler part…
cinnamonandgravy

Post by cinnamonandgravy »

autohaus az showed FAG bearings in stock, so i ordered two. they sent me Schaeffler bearings.

are the FAG and Schaeffler bearings the same?
does Schaeffler produce FAG parts?
a2058

Post by a2058 »

Schaeffler acquired FAG in 2001 according to some online source. I just bought these “new” pair available now just to have as a backup and compared to the set I got before when they were hard to get. The new pair do not have any laser markings of any kind on the bearing race surfaces, where as the old units had FAG and made in Germany with part numbers imprinted on them. Also the hub piece on these new ones appears to be machined from cast pieces (back side looks cast) as opposed to fully machined look to the old ones. Some visual differences I guess, not sure about the quality differences though, can’t tell.
cinnamonandgravy

im returning my schaeffler bearings. rockauto has them for cheaper, and pelican parts claims to have 15 FAG bearings in stock. im trying my luck with pelican parts now.

heres the schaeffler part i received:
Image Image Image

as a2058 said, one side looks machined while the other appears cast, and there are no engraved/etched markings.
box says made in germany.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

cinnamonandgravy wrote: Feb 07, 2023 1:05 AM
as a2058 said, one side looks machined while the other appears cast, and there are no engraved/etched markings.
box says made in germany.
Interesting differences. The inside of the non-FAG is not finished and doesn't need to be because it is open to the elements and only needs the other side to be machined for proper wheel attachment.

But looking at the pics on Pelican, they have three different units at 90 for FAG, 73 for FAG without the inner seal (about $12-20 more) and 46 for Optimal this cheaper has much thinner section with the unfinished side. I would think that this change to not finishing the one side and using less metal is based on bean counter recommendations, hopefully these went to the engineering department before they were made to verify the thickness is enough. It won't make a difference if the parts are lined up properly when installed.

The Optimal shows more pieces with the unit, a nut and cover and shows the bearing being open and not sealed. I wonder if this is a maintenance needed wheel bearing.
cinnamonandgravy

received the bearings from pelican parts… and i got schaeffler’d again. returning them.

rockauto it is.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

cinnamonandgravy wrote: Feb 09, 2023 12:38 AM received the bearings from pelican parts… and i got schaeffler’d again. returning them.

rockauto it is.
They show three at Pelican. Did you pay the full 90 price?
cinnamonandgravy

yes, paid $90 each.

the customer service rep is checking if it was just a shipping/warehouse error.
cinnamonandgravy

final update: pelican parts accepted my return, even though their warehouse/supplier was of the opinion that the FAG and schaeffler parts are the same.

purchased from rock auto and they sent me the same schaeffler part. total was $130 after tax and shipping.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

I guess the warehouse guy at pelican doesn't know the price difference in the parts. Why would they list different parts and then fill the order with the same item.