STEERING BOX QUESTION

Specific conversations and info for the BMW E28 M5 and M535i.
Abaky

STEERING BOX QUESTION

Post by Abaky »

Hi All
So the hole of the front axle is down and my e28 m5, and repainting, powder coating, poly bushing, rebuilding and re valving of of dampers on the way.
My steering box is hanging in the air, and my question is one of while I am there. I dont have any particular problems with the steering, but is there any preventive maintenance that I can do here?
I also have a copy of the m6 e24 maintenance manual (cardisc), which I am using as reference as there is non specific ffor the m5. throughout when it comes to torque values, it says refer to 'reference Gr 32'??? Does anyone have a copy of this reference sheet that I can have??

Thanks
tylerrose

Re: STEERING BOX QUESTION

Post by tylerrose »

If the box itself isn't leaking or worn excessively, I'd leave it alone - maybe change out the upper U-joint.

I would definitely reinforce the steering box bracket, however, to prevent it from cracking down the line.

Tyler
Abaky

Post by Abaky »

tylerrose wrote: Jul 18, 2022 11:52 AM If the box itself isn't leaking or worn excessively, I'd leave it alone - maybe change out the upper U-joint.

I would definitely reinforce the steering box bracket, however, to prevent it from cracking down the line.

Tyler
Thanks, got the reinforcement bracket on order and it should arrive next week.
The u joint I have not had a look at yet, is it a weak spot?
I Guess you are right in that if it aint broke.....but was going to repaint the box, so can I do that without too much damage to joints/gaskets?
tylerrose

Post by tylerrose »

Of course.

The u-joint isn't a wear item per se, but is commonly overlooked as a wear item. Depending on what mileage you're at, I'd consider replacing it.

The last one I replaced was on a NYC-driven (bad roads) 635csi with ~105k miles and made a noticeable difference, as there was play in the joint.

If you plan on taking the box apart to paint it, I would at least reseal it because you're disrupting 34-year old gaskets. The joint will survive.