M5 Rear Caliper Kit? Assistance requested.

Specific conversations and info for the BMW E28 M5 and M535i.
BillL

M5 Rear Caliper Kit? Assistance requested.

Post by BillL »

Well, finding parts is more of an issue now than 20 yrs ago, duh!!

I have the stock rear calipers, ATE 35mm bore. They have been cleaned and cad plated. I am having trouble finding the proper kit with the boot, piston ring, and retainer spring. Real OEM lists 34211153194 as the part number for a kit. Searching for# that yields an FTE kit RSK33101. FTE lists that kit as being 33mm not 35mm. Surely there is more to this story - can anyone clue me in?? I have looked at many part sites and only the FTE number above is listed. The BMW number is listed, but does not confirm bore size (and out of stock). Neither FTE nor ATE digital catalogs have any listing for the E28M5 rear kits.

FYI I forgot, the ate part number on the boot is 11.8102-3601.1. No joy on the ATE site, and they have not been helpful on other caliper questions for this car. "i know nothing . . .. "
Last edited by BillL on May 16, 2022 8:05 PM, edited 1 time in total.
BillL

Re: M5 Rear Caliper Kit? Assistance requested.

Post by BillL »

Allow me to provide an update. Apparently BMW USA has the incorrect caliper kit part number in their system. The incorrect number is 34211153194 and when searched will return kits for a 33mm piston caliper. Consequently, the correct kit is not provided to the US by FTE. At least not that I have found. The Valeo technical people in Germany confirmed that the correct listing for them is the 35mm part. We can not get it here but the FTE part number is RKS8899067 and a (ATE) rebuilt caliper is available from FTE - RX351300A0 and RX351400A0 for left and right - I do not know which number is left.

Now-apparently AdvanceAutoParts lists the FTE part under N105084004FTE but has no reference to the actual FTE part number.

This error has been in existence since 1988 so one can only conclude the BMWNA just wont fix it. What a PITA. I will post more as it becomes available.

One last thing - Since bolts for rebuild of the front calipers are not available I contacted KAMAX and an engineer identified VW part number WHT 007 089 can be adapted. It is a 12.9 vs 11.9 bolt but the length has to be reduced and the integral washer/flange has to be machined off. After that they are perfect. I just torqued to 36 ft-lb.