Stolen Catalytic Converter. Now what?

Specific conversations and info for the BMW E28 M5 and M535i.
Syndrome

Stolen Catalytic Converter. Now what?

Post by Syndrome »

Someone with a hacksaw has stolen the catalytic converter from my E28 M5. Bummer. What can I do to make it better? I mean, should I find (good luck to me) another stock OEM cat, or replace it with something else? Any good or bad ideas on either scenario, please? Thank you.
Fanclutchnut

Re: Stolen Catalytic Converter. Now what?

Post by Fanclutchnut »

Really sorry to hear this. I recently purchased the DEC unit from rockauto. I have not installed it but the park looks well constructed. The DEC and the one from Mario at VSR1.com seem to be the most popular.
Syndrome

Post by Syndrome »

THANK YOU!
Randomg

Post by Randomg »

I used to live in DC, found a garage by searching craigslist for apartment/townhouse postings that said they had a garage and sending messages that offered the renter the choice of offering the garage as optional to people who'd be willing to take the room for less money. Lots of people in DC with no car or don't think it's worth the premium to pay for a garage I think.

Still though, that hurts. My experience with the VSR1 cat has been mixed, it had to be modified to fit as it was either bent in shipping or the rear piece that holds the pipes together was not installed with the pipes lined up correctly. I also have never been able to get rid of a hissing sound that I hear at full throttle (although barely because of the engine noise) and at no throttle (much more obvious and annoying). Not sure if others have had this experience, since I only read good things. Downside of the oem is either price when new, or uncertain lifespan when used.
Syndrome

Post by Syndrome »

Right. I think a used OEM cat that may or may not be clogged or otherwise useless isn’t a great idea, especially considering the premium I’d probably have to pay for the pleasure. DC is a hell hole anymore. Thankfully, I live in Tysons, outside of DC (not too far from Langley). Still, I guess there are a lot of people who forgot about the Golden Rule, even around here. I do have a pretty big garage, but just ran out of space in there, unfortunately. Thanks for the info.
tylerrose

Post by tylerrose »

Fanclutchnut wrote: Apr 10, 2022 9:18 AM Really sorry to hear this. I recently purchased the DEC unit from rockauto. I have not installed it but the park looks well constructed. The DEC and the one from Mario at VSR1.com seem to be the most popular.
I can comment, as I've installed both on my cars.

I run a DEC 50-state Cat on my 85 635csi - after 2.5 years and about 13k miles, it began to rattle at idle and when in high load, low RPM situations (think climbing a hill.) This car is well sorted, and after speaking with others who have similar experience, it is safe to say they have a short lifespan. I reached out to DEC, as a 5-year warranty is offered on CARB-compliant catalytic converters, however, their warranty process requires the car to be taken off the road and the cat mailed in for inspection. I guess if they deny your claim, the faulty converter is sent back to you at your expense(?) The rattle has subsided at idle, so I've decided to hold off, as I drive this car almost daily. The fitment is also not great, as the down pipe (if you will) hangs low and can scrape if your suspension is too low or soft.

As for Mario's product - I installed it on my '87 M6 to replace a rattling original unit and was very happy with the fitment and quality of his product. It is also a high-flow unit. I only put about 2k miles on this unit so I can't speak for the future.

Tyler
Syndrome

Post by Syndrome »

Thanks for that input. One question - please forgive me - Who is this Mario you speak of, and how does one get ahold of him? Thanks.
demetk

Post by demetk »

If you don't have emissions testing anymore for the M5 then just go without. And if you have insurance on it can't you file a claim with either your homeowners or auto policy?
Syndrome

Post by Syndrome »

Going without might be OK, I guess. Would I just have an exhaust shop make pipes in place of the cat? Nothing special?
jc72

Post by jc72 »

Syndrome wrote: Apr 20, 2022 5:31 AM Thanks for that input. One question - please forgive me - Who is this Mario you speak of, and how does one get ahold of him? Thanks.
I believe Mario is the owner of VSR1.
bigwave

Post by bigwave »

Sorry to hear this. I replaced mine with the VSR unit 4 years and around 5k miles back. It is a very high quality replacement and bolted right up. Can’t say much if it changed the sound at all as my whole exhaust was Swiss cheese and was replaced with an OEM unit at the same time. Make sure to choose the one for either US or Euro headers as they (at least used to) have two versions to fit the different flanges.
This is from the same “Mario” mentioned above.
http://www.vsr1.com/e28e24-m5m6-page/
Philo

Post by Philo »

VSR1 cat on my S54 E28 M5. No problems after 20k miles and multiple runs to 8500 rpm :D BTW, I had a DEC many years ago and the workmanship was the worst. Would not buy one again.
tylerrose

Post by tylerrose »

Syndrome wrote: Apr 20, 2022 5:31 AM Thanks for that input. One question - please forgive me - Who is this Mario you speak of, and how does one get ahold of him? Thanks.
No worries; I should have clarified. Mario is the proprietor of VSR1.