H&R Springs

Specific conversations and info for the BMW E28 M5 and M535i.
Abaky

H&R Springs

Post by Abaky »

Hi
OK this is driving me nuts and would appreciate some help/knowledge
I am in the processes of ordering new suspension all around for my e28 m5 european 1986
I have taken down the front struts and the rear suspension and they are bilstein shocks made for BMW and I believe the original ones that the car came with.
The springs are also BMW one with green stripe and the othe Blue, but did not think to take the number on top of the springs before putting them back........
So I have looked on the bilstein site and spoken to them, the only available shocks for my car are the B6 (I forget what they are called in US,?HD, but I think the sports are the B8).
I want to install the b8s but everywhere I look, they say not for e28 M5??? But on this forum I see that a lot of you guys have installed the B8 ( Sports ) on your cars??

Also for the springs the same problem, looked at H&R, and they say the same, not for M5, Spoke to H1R in Germany and they said they had not been tested on e28 M5...

Bmw only manufacture one spring for this car now which is for the car with 18+ points and the red stripped one is no longer manufactured....Eibac also no longer make lowering springs for e28

SPAX also do not make sprins for the e28 m5 and the 535 springs lower the car 35-45 mm which is a little too low for me.

SO

Can I install the B8 all around on my car
Can I install the H&R lowering springs?
How hard/rattly will the drive be after
Does anyone have any other spring suggestions that I can find here in europ?
ahab

Re: H&R Springs

Post by ahab »

Some of the mismatch may be that US cars came with self leveling suspension in the rear so in theory you could not fit Bilstein shocks, or any aftermarket springs individually because they will not work without replacing both components at the same time. 35 years on sometimes this information gets muddied. You can certainly buy B8s and springs together and they will work just fine.

FYI - According to the book BMW M5: The Complete Story by James Taylor, initially the M5 rear springs were standard E28 with stiffer springs up front, and Bilstein shocks. In 10/86 the factory discontinued using Bilstein shocks and replaced them with BOGE, and upgraded the front sway bar to 25mm at that time. That may be when they started using MTech springs, unless those were also an option like on the M535i.

The best setup for an E28 IMO is Bilstein B8s with factory MTech springs (short reds, or red striped) if you can find them. I have B8s with Eibach Pros and I don't love them but I find them better than H&Rs, which are too harsh over rough pavement for me.

Here are the part numbers I bought for my M5

Abaky

Post by Abaky »

Thanks for that.
Can you tell me the part number ffor the eibac springs that you are using?
ALW62

Post by ALW62 »

So please finish and let us know the final outcome……I ask as am just now embarking on an SLS delete of my e28/m5 (US # 1707). Current plan is Bili B8’s + H&R lowering springs.
Abaky

Post by Abaky »

At the end all four dampers replaced with original m5 european dampers and I kept original springs.
So the height remains factory.
The front axle was completely done and the trx replaced with PS2 and basket weave wheels.
All poly bushed in front, With brake upgrade to e34 M5, And steel braided lines all round.

Rear Axle next year... :lol: