M5 specific rear shock absorbers

Specific conversations and info for the BMW E28 M5 and M535i.
weber magic

M5 specific rear shock absorbers

Post by weber magic »

Hi all, wondering if anyone can enlighten me.

I am doing some restoration work on a right hand drive M5. In the past the rear shocks which should have been bodge units as I understand it have been replaced with Bilsteins and lowering springs. I would like to go back to completely stock suspension. I have just tried to order the parts from my local dealer and got stuck.

According to real.oem part number 33522225898 labelled as a shock absorber must be supplied in conjunction with various other parts including 31322225895 which is labelled as an insert, and this part is listed as ended. Does that mean that the rear shock absorbers are a two part item, casing of shock absorber body and then and insert/piston a bit like the fronts?

Has anyone purchase 33522225898 and what did you actually get when it arrived?

This is a real disaster for me so would be grateful for any useful insights the community could provide.

Thanks in advance
demetk

Re: M5 specific rear shock absorbers

Post by demetk »

31322225895 is the front boge shock. Do you have Bilstein shocks and lowering springs in front?
///M

Re: M5 specific rear shock absorbers

Post by ///M »

Hi
You are mixing up the numbers the part as pointed out,the part number ending 895 is for the front. It is an "insert" and is NLA. From sept 86 on the M5 had stiffer front and rear anti roll bars and the "softer" boge dampers.
It seems that the only option for replacement is the bilstein part. You can buy the rear boge damper (the part ending 898). The rear springs on the M5 are a larger diameter and the spring platform is larger diameter as is the topmount.
Post a picture of what you have. It may be standard e28 bilstein with the standard e28 topmount.