Restoring M5 wheels and center caps

Specific conversations and info for the BMW E28 M5 and M535i.
LarryM

Restoring M5 wheels and center caps

Post by LarryM »

The PO of my 535iS mounted a set of M5 wheels which I really like, and I'm thinking of having them restored to like-new condition.

The plastic hex nuts on the center caps are a little weathered. Also, the center plates don't tighten up completely flush with the wheels, maybe due to being over-tightened several times. Is it possible to completely disassemble the center cap/plate assemblies without destroying them, so that they can be properly renewed? Or should I consider just buying a new set?

I'm thinking it would be nice to replace the plastic nut with an aluminum, RS-style nut but it doesn't look like the design would allow that.
bigwave

Re: Restoring M5 wheels and center caps

Post by bigwave »

Same issue here in both finish and fit. They can definitely be disassembled, but if the plastic lock rings are worn and they are loose, it doesn't seem that they will be secure enough to stay on. Curious to hear if others have any tricks to tighten them up. They are still available new from FCP Euro for $128 each, part #36132225376. The ones on the FCP site still look like they are stamped W. Germany from the photos they supply.

My plan for getting the original Style 5's back on the car was going to be to send the wheels to Ehrlich Wheel Works https://www.facebook.com/ewheelworks/ for refurbishment first. They will have the solution for getting the caps to fit correctly even if that simply is to just replace them.
LarryM

Re: Restoring M5 wheels and center caps

Post by LarryM »

Well I ordered a new set from Husker; a little cheaper at $108 each. They're on the way.

I started scouring around looking for a cheap set of "rollers" to use while I'm having my M5 wheels refinished, but now I'm in danger of becoming somewhat of a wheel whore. I found a real nice set of Style 29 16 X 7s (which I like) and another nice set of E38 16 X 8 Style 5s (which I like even more) for very reasonable prices. Trying to decide which ones to buy, or to just buy both sets. I'm actually surprised at how cheaply nice wheels like this are selling for these days. Demand must be falling off.