Again. Thermostat help

Specific conversations and info for the BMW E28 M5 and M535i.
slownrusty

Re: Again. Thermostat help

Post by slownrusty »

Thanks for that side by side comparo @e24mpwr

Great pictures and reference for the future.
e24mpwr

Post by e24mpwr »

slownrusty wrote: Oct 02, 2021 9:00 AM Thanks for that side by side comparo @e24mpwr

Great pictures and reference for the future.
My pleasure - this place has contributed to me in so many ways I can't even count.

Reading the whole thread again, some other/additional thoughts:
  • The QH seems to be the "Early M30" style with the larger/35mm block-off plate - so from the sound of the thread works, but with "faster warm-up" (in quotes because I'm not entirely sure what that means or the impact of it)
  • Obviously the Vernet isn't an "exact visual match" - I might be misremembering his words, but it is pretty clearly dimensionally similar or the same, albeit with a very different design and construction.
  • The Vernet is working fine for me
  • The Calorstat/Vernet TH1528.80J can be found on ebay fairly easily for under $30 delivered, but my searches on the part number all show up from European sites.
  • My shop was able to have it delivered, so I don't think they're hard to get (possibly enabled by the next point)
  • Note that ebay listing also states it's for a mid-late 80's Jeep Cherokee. I'm not sure if that's a useful tangent or not, but it's an amusing one :rofl:
I hope that adds some clarity and is useful to someone - nothing sucks more than not being able to drive your car because of something small like this. In this case, that small something also keeps your motor from overheating, so...

Cheers!
Cannabis9478

Post by Cannabis9478 »

Ahh I have just order 2 thermostat from Pelican so the chances are they are very likely won't fit?
https://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/sm ... 7-737-M322
KDAWG97M3

Post by KDAWG97M3 »

Hey. So what part do I get? I have 4 thermostats and none fit. Any good options?
DavidE9

Post by DavidE9 »

@e24mpwr. Thanks a great comparison photo.

I might suggest contacting the folks at La Jolla Independent for help/parts.

http://www.bimmerdoc.com/