US E28 M5 Header

Specific conversations and info for the BMW E28 M5 and M535i.
M7L

US E28 M5 Header

Post by M7L »

Hello All,

Can anyone suggest any aftermarket headers for my US 88 E28 M5 and where to purchase them.

Apparently the BMW Euro headers are NLA.

Thank you!!
EuroE28M5

Re: US E28 M5 Header

Post by EuroE28M5 »

i have a brand new set of Euro M88 headers ceramic coated never installed.. IF you are interested.. Wont be cheap tho..
M7L

Post by M7L »

Yes interested, please send pictures to pm. Thanks
ahab

Post by ahab »

If this is still a thing you should check out Supersprint. You can get them from Turner or ECS (same company) but stock/availability is all over the place. They also run sales from time to time so you're best bet is to take your time and watch pricing if that's important to you. I wasn't even looking for them and stumbled onto a Cyber Monday sale for 50% off, I couldn't afford not to buy them. Fit and finish was excellent however I did an engine out install. S38 headers are never easy to install in situ.
milarsky

Post by milarsky »

Hello!

It looks like both banks are available from BMW. Edit, only USA models.

jeff
M7L

Post by M7L »

Thank you ALL for responded and help.
I did locate an aftermarket set locally.

Currently trying to figure what cat & exhaust to go with, in SoCal need to deal with smog...

Any suggestions on cat and exhaust would be greatly appreciated.
bigwave

Post by bigwave »

Currently trying to figure what cat & exhaust to go with, in SoCal need to deal with smog...

While there are others on here who know a lot more about what is legal in CA than I do, the cat is NLA from BMW. I went with this direct bolt on from VSR. It's really well made and VSR is a great enthusiast company. https://www.vsr1.com/e28e24-m5m6-page/

I paired it with a new exhaust from BMW, which is now available again.
Philo

Post by Philo »

I have the VSR cat section on my car as well. It's a well made unit.
EuroShark

Post by EuroShark »

I'll give another vote for the VSR1 cats. I have the full Supersprint system from the headers back. With the non-resonated front pipes the noise was a little bit much and it was raspy around 3000-3500rpm. With the VSR1 pipes it's got a smoother tone and the raspy sound is gone.
S62ninja

Post by S62ninja »

M7L wrote: Jun 18, 2020 2:40 PM Thank you ALL for responded and help.
I did locate an aftermarket set locally.

Subscribing as I'm in Socal as well and am looking at the VSR cats. Only found one case on this board where the VSR cats have passed CA smog. I do "know a guy" but that's also $300 that could go towards the cats...
Preyupy

Post by Preyupy »

I believe that Magnaflow makes a CA certified replacement catalytic converter for the Pre OBD II cars (the E28 M5 falls into this category) These are just the converters and someone would need to fit them to the car and bend up some exhaust pipes. Fortunately we don't have to jump through those hoops in WA any more.