Help with new to me, M5

Specific conversations and info for the BMW E28 M5 and M535i.
Abaky

Help with new to me, M5

Post by Abaky »

Hi There

It is my first post here but have been in the background whilst looking for a e28 m5. Finally found one in Italy, one owner parked in a garage for 20 years. It had been put back on the road by the seller, and I just drove it back to France 1000 miles or so. Engine is strong but need some help in other areas.

1. there is no light bulbs working apart from the dash. I believe the replacement bulbs are part number 63217167000??? My question is how many do I need to buy for the whole dash.
2. the onboard computer is extremely dark and I can not see the readings without a torch. Have just ordered a new light strip for that

https://www.bonanza.com/listings/Bmw-E2 ... /764645714

More worrying is that although the display illuminates it does not work at all. I can not set the time etc and can not zero mileage etc??

3. I appear to be losing brake/hydrolic fluid, as I have had to add 2x 50ml as the warning light comes on. There is no external leak that on the floor where the car is parked?Any ideas

4. Antenna does not work, could not find a fuse for this?

Image of car if it works for me....

Thanks in Advance
Last edited by Abaky on Sep 24, 2019 6:39 AM, edited 2 times in total.
marek

Re: Help with new to me, M5

Post by marek »

Welcome and congratulations on a great find. What's the color and VIN? How many km's on it?

1. For the dash lights check all the fuses (if they are original replace them all, as they are likely corroded. Also the cluster might not be plugged in, hence why nothing works. Take it out and see that it is plugged in.
2. For the brake fluid leaking, check your clutch master (underneath dash by the pedals), as if it leaks it will go underneath the carpet and you won't see a leak under the car.
Abaky

Post by Abaky »

marek wrote:Welcome and congratulations on a great find. What's the color and VIN? How many km's on it?

1. For the dash lights check all the fuses (if they are original replace them all, as they are likely corroded. Also the cluster might not be plugged in, hence why nothing works. Take it out and see that it is plugged in.
2. For the brake fluid leaking, check your clutch master (underneath dash by the pedals), as if it leaks it will go underneath the carpet and you won't see a leak under the car.

Hi Marek
Thanks for your answer. I will change all the fuses, but I had a look at the fuses and to look at they look fine.
By the cluster, do you mean the computer or the lights around the vents etc?
I will take the carpets out and have a look at the slave cylinder.

I dont have the VIN on me But I think it starstd with WBS 0, It has 114000Km on the clock, and it is dolphin grey, manual box.

Thanks again

Will keep you updated.
marek

Post by marek »

If you have no light on in the cluster (where the speedometer and tachometer are) or anywhere on the dash, it's likely not the bulbs (although it could be that they all burnt out).

Your car sounds like a great one and has low km too!! What year is it? What color interior?
Abaky wrote:
marek wrote:Welcome and congratulations on a great find. What's the color and VIN? How many km's on it?

Hi Marek
Thanks for your answer. I will change all the fuses, but I had a look at the fuses and to look at they look fine.

I dont have the VIN on me But I think it starstd with WBS 0, It has 114000Km on the clock, and it is dolphin grey, manual box.

Thanks again

Will keep you updated.
Abaky

Post by Abaky »

marek wrote:If you have no light on in the cluster (where the speedometer and tachometer are) or anywhere on the dash, it's likely not the bulbs (although it could be that they all burnt out).

Your car sounds like a great one and has low km too!! What year is it? What color interior?
Abaky wrote:

Hi Marek

Thanks again

Will keep you updated.

I see what you mean, but, the cluster (speedo etc) is the only light that works. the rest of the displays around the heater controls light controls, ashtray clove box etc dont light up at all and in the night apart from the cluster i am in the dark. All pressable buttons (e.g hazards aircon etc light up).

Do you know if the reference for the replacement bulbs for these lights is 63217167000 and roughly how many I will need?

Thanks
marek

Post by marek »

That is the correct bulb. You should need 2 for the heater core. 1 for ashtray, 1 for light switch, 1 for ashtray.
Abaky

Post by Abaky »

So I have started taking the bulbs out.
the switch for switching on and off the front lights, does not appear to have a bulb?? THere is the terminal on the left that stands proud of the rest was not attached to anything, and I wonder if this is the connection for the bulb which is missing?

Photo

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uqh6p4oeijj04 ... 6.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o4aju0os235ez ... 7.JPG?dl=0
marek

Post by marek »

Abaky wrote:So I have started taking the bulbs out.
the switch for switching on and off the front lights, does not appear to have a bulb?? THere is the terminal on the left that stands proud of the rest was not attached to anything, and I wonder if this is the connection for the bulb which is missing?

Photo

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uqh6p4oeijj04 ... 6.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o4aju0os235ez ... 7.JPG?dl=0
That "terminal" is the bulb holder. Just pull it straight out and you'll see the bulb
Abaky

Post by Abaky »

Yes i see that. But should there not be a power supply attached to the terminals? There was no wires attached to the back of the bulb case? Thanks
topher800

Post by topher800 »

I put this light bulb list together a few years back. The bulb # (vs the part #) is the number we would use if we just went into a parts store in the US....not sure if they apply in Italy. Hope it helps.

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=146376
Abaky

Post by Abaky »

topher800 wrote:I put this light bulb list together a few years back. The bulb # (vs the part #) is the number we would use if we just went into a parts store in the US....not sure if they apply in Italy. Hope it helps.

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=146376
Thanks
Yes I found your list very helpful
marek

Post by marek »

Abaky wrote:Yes i see that. But should there not be a power supply attached to the terminals? There was no wires attached to the back of the bulb case? Thanks
Nothing is attached to the back on my car
Abaky

Post by Abaky »

Yea i think the power supply for the bulp is incorporated in the main light controls.
tn535i

Post by tn535i »

Good looking car and it sounds like these sort of little problems easily sorted out. Curious why it doesn't appear to have cross spoke wheels. I thought all M5's came with the 16" wheel and never the bottlecap style? Pic of engine bay?
Abaky

Post by Abaky »

tn535i wrote:Good looking car and it sounds like these sort of little problems easily sorted out. Curious why it doesn't appear to have cross spoke wheels. I thought all M5's came with the 16" wheel and never the bottlecap style? Pic of engine bay?
Yes there are quite a few of the early cars in Europe with theses wheels. Pain in the ass really as they are metric and only one type of tyre fits them which cost 375 euros each..

Engine bay...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/89mrhi9oe3tvu ... 6.JPG?dl=0
tn535i

Post by tn535i »

Abaky wrote:Yes there are quite a few of the early cars in Europe with theses wheels. Pain in the ass really as they are metric and only one type of tyre fits them which cost 375 euros each..
Pain in the arse even if you had a regular 535 with the metric tires or an M6 with TR415 wheels. I have two sets of metric wheels each probably only worth scrap value and would never buy the Coker tire replacement rubber that is the crazy high price you mention. Hope you can find a set a salvage 16" wheels from any later series cars there or just get newer wheels. IMO the 5er needs no more than a 16" wheel but some like a 17".

Enjoy the road ahead...
Foonfer

Post by Foonfer »

WOW Araky, what a find :shock:

Let's say this, really slow, a good pause after each comma: You found an one-owner, 20-years parked, low-kilometers, DELPHIN-METALLIC, E28, M5, in Italy (VR is Verona, right? Midway between Venice and Milan, close to the Garda lake). Now, seriously - How. Cool. Is. That.

PLEASE - You have to tell us more! Just the story of how you came across this car and how it came to be yours must be worth hours of conversation.

WHEELS & TIRES - Get rid of what you have. Get some Style 5s or (my favorite) Style 29s, and 16" is in my opinion what looks and works best in these cars. Not all wheel geometries work (all are 5x120, but the eccentricity and hub diameter vary). Some wheels (such as Style 29s) require "hubcentric rings", which are very thin, very easy to find adjustment pieces.

There are plenty of photos of different wheels in mye28.com, or else you can go look at http://www.bmwstylewheels.com/

Where do you live, what are your plans for the car? How is the E28 scene in Europe, how is the M5 scene in Europe? Would love to know more.

Good luck and many enjoyable years with this car. So awesome.
Abaky

Post by Abaky »

Foonfer wrote:WOW Araky, what a find :shock:

Let's say this, really slow, a good pause after each comma: You found an one-owner, 20-years parked, low-kilometers, DELPHIN-METALLIC, E28, M5, in Italy (VR is Verona, right? Midway between Venice and Milan, close to the Garda lake). Now, seriously - How. Cool. Is. That.

PLEASE - You have to tell us more! Just the story of how you came across this car and how it came to be yours must be worth hours of conversation.

WHEELS & TIRES - Get rid of what you have. Get some Style 5s or (my favorite) Style 29s, and 16" is in my opinion what looks and works best in these cars. Not all wheel geometries work (all are 5x120, but the eccentricity and hub diameter vary). Some wheels (such as Style 29s) require "hubcentric rings", which are very thin, very easy to find adjustment pieces.

There are plenty of photos of different wheels in mye28.com, or else you can go look at http://www.bmwstylewheels.com/

Where do you live, what are your plans for the car? How is the E28 scene in Europe, how is the M5 scene in Europe? Would love to know more.

Good luck and many enjoyable years with this car. So awesome.
Hi Foonfer

Yeh I know!!!!!!! Pretty incredible find.

The Italian gentleman ordered the car in 1985 and it arrived in 3/1986. I have all the original papers of sale as well. He drove it until 2000, 114000km, when he passed away. His family kept it in an indoor garage until 2019,when they contacted a friend of the family who is a car dealer to sell the car. The dealer who sold it to me picked up the car from the garage, there are photo documentaries of this pickup as well. He told me that he knew the family all his life and knew the car was stored after the death of the father. He made the car roadworthy mechanically, got it passed the road tests and put it up for sale for the family, and i saw the advert during my search for an M5. THe most important thing is that there is not one spot of rust on the car.

The market in Europe regarding these cars appears to be lost for the moment. As you know there were only 588 European LHD cars made, and there are very few that come up on the market with a decent history/condition/mileage. The prices vary considerably as I think the car has not found its place yet in the classics. If you look at some of the European sales sites

http://www.theparking.eu/used-cars/bmw-m5-e28.html

They are going from 30,000euros to 98,000 euros. Although I think the 98,000 euos one is very unrealistically priced with 110,000 KM on it.

As for the metric wheels and tyres I will be changing them over once these tyres are worn, but as they are new tyres and I will probably only drive this car occasionally, I dont think it will be for a few years. Thanks for the website link, incredible collection of wheels, but I have my mind set on the style 42 as well as the 29s as you mentioned. They are quite similar in fact.

For the moment waiting on a new clutch slave cylinder as it appears to be leaking. After that varies internal bulb replacements, fixing electrical aerial, front right side light washers do not appear to be working and the windscreen water injector on the right side does not work either... so few minor things to do.

I live in France and I plan to keep this car for a very long time. My father and uncle had a first generation e12 520 when I was young. I have always wanted to try the analogue cars and when I went into the history of the 5 series, I first started looking for a M535i, but then as I delved deeper and realised that e28M5 was in fact the first M series car I only looked for one car after that.
Karl Grau

Post by Karl Grau »

Last edited by Karl Grau on Oct 09, 2019 9:40 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Abaky

Post by Abaky »

Karl Grau wrote:Welcome to the Board, what a nice find!
That is a great looking car and I'm happy to see you're getting all the little things sorted out.
Where in France are you? I lived in Paris when I was a teenager and loved it. I learned to drive in this Renault 10 while in France and also used it to take the test to get my first driver license.

This picture was taken somewhere between Lyon and Bormes-les-Mimosas. :)

Hi

I live in le Mans. But have not yet been to see the 24 hr race.