2011 BMW 535xi Transmission Malf and Squeal noise

Specific conversations and info for the BMW E28 M5 and M535i.
jamesbowers

2011 BMW 535xi Transmission Malf and Squeal noise

Post by jamesbowers »

Hey everyone I'm new to this forum but I'm a BMW owner of a few different BMW. My 535xi has never done me wrong but I'm having an issue with it, when I'm at a light or getting food at a drive thru, my car 50% of the time does this. I get a warning of Transmission Malfunction and as soon as that shows up, my engine squeals loudly...weird right but as soon as I shut off the car and restart it, the squeal is gone. I've also notice that when the trans malfunction comes on, my turbos does not work, power levels feels like a 4 cylinder car, but as soon as it's turned off and restarted, everything back to normal, any ideas what this could be????
ahab

Re: 2011 BMW 535xi Transmission Malf and Squeal noise

Post by ahab »

Most likely this is called limp home mode, and not because you found yourself at a shit drive through getting "food" (is that even a legitimate claim these days?). It sounds like something may be wrong with one of your car's sensors, or the restart is resetting whatever actual device is freaking out, but that's unlikely. The simplest solution is to get yourself a code reader and see what's going on. The more logical approach is to get rid of the Neau Klasse BMW and get yourself something with a little more Bavarian DNA and a little less fancypants to it.

"when the trans malfunction comes on, my turbos does not work, power levels feels like a 4 cylinder car" - Welcome to the world of your car is smarter than you are!
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

Welcome to the group, but you're really in the wrong place. While we occasionally discuss others, this forum is focused on the 82-88 E28 chassis.
LeiseyJr

Post by LeiseyJr »

jamesbowers wrote:Hey everyone I'm new to this forum but I'm a BMW owner of a few different BMW. My 535xi has never done me wrong but I'm having an issue with it, when I'm at a light or getting food at a drive thru, my car 50% of the time does this. I get a warning of Transmission Malfunction and as soon as that shows up, my engine squeals loudly...weird right but as soon as I shut off the car and restart it, the squeal is gone. I've also notice that when the trans malfunction comes on, my turbos does not work, power levels feels like a 4 cylinder car, but as soon as it's turned off and restarted, everything back to normal, any ideas what this could be????
You could've at least posted it in Tech Talk. Turbo issues could be waste gate actuator, it sounds like you have more then one problem.
Spen

Post by Spen »

Read the stored codes. F02 5 series maybe transmission solenoids. The 6hp has solenoid issues. Start with the stored codes. More I work professionally on new bmws I long for the 80s models like ahab says. Just expensive shit boxes more or less. Yes quiet nice fast etc. Wait for the bill and see how u like it if you're bill gates u still gotta wait for the junk piece to be fixed.
fred633

Post by fred633 »

Everything about your ZF 6HP26, 6HP19, 6HP28 transmission issues.

http://www.bmwlogicseven.com/?p=3738