Do my M5 wheels need refinishing?

Specific conversations and info for the BMW E28 M5 and M535i.
LarryM

Do my M5 wheels need refinishing?

Post by LarryM »

A few years ago I purchased my 535is with E28 M5 wheels already on it. Overall they're in excellent shape but in the process of cleaning them, I've noticed a light-greenish tint in the finish. Is this the primer coat beginning to show through, possibly due to age and the past use of aggressive cleaners? It seems that the silver coat on these wheels is rather thin, and I'm wondering if perhaps that's the way they all came from the factory.

I'd appreciate a recommendation for a good wheel restoration shop, in case I need one. I'd be willing to ship them if necessary.
Burnze

Re: Do my M5 wheels need refinishing?

Post by Burnze »

Hi, Larry. Is the finish dull? If the cleaner you used is too harsh it may do funky things to the paint.

Pictures would help.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

If the finish is dull and the silver is moving on, I'd think a refinish is in order. Speedway Metal Finishing in Santa Ana has done nice work on Alpinas that I've seen, but perhaps someone has another suggestion closer to your neck of the woods!
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

I've taken a closer look at these wheels and the greenish color seems to be not primer like I originally thought, but rather some kind of light overspray that's very difficult to remove. It's only on a couple of the wheels. Very fine steel wool will remove it but at that point I might be taking off some of the clear coat. As I noted, the silver finish on all of them seems thin so I guess if I want perfection I'll eventually have to get them refinished anyway. And they're worth it; besides being a near-perfect size, I think M5 wheels look really good on any E28.

Well, maybe not quite as nice as those RZs that you just got such a great deal on, Chris. Thanks for the referral; I'll check out Speedway.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

LarryM wrote:I've taken a closer look at these wheels and the greenish color seems to be not primer like I originally thought, but rather some kind of light overspray that's very difficult to remove. It's only on a couple of the wheels. Very fine steel wool will remove it but at that point I might be taking off some of the clear coat. As I noted, the silver finish on all of them seems thin so I guess if I want perfection I'll eventually have to get them refinished anyway. And they're worth it; besides being a near-perfect size, I think M5 wheels look really good on any E28.

Well, maybe not quite as nice as those RZs that you just got such a great deal on, Chris. Thanks for the referral; I'll check out Speedway.
Look into Tru-Wheel in North Hollywood; they have a pretty good rep and come highly recommended from John Barlow (SoCal Vintage BMW). They're also a lot closer to you than Santa Ana.

12547 Sherman Way
Unit D
North Hollywood, CA 91605
818-765-5577
marek

Post by marek »

vinceg101 wrote:
LarryM wrote:I've taken a closer look at these wheels and the greenish color seems to be not primer like I originally thought, but rather some kind of light overspray that's very difficult to remove. It's only on a couple of the wheels. Very fine steel wool will remove it but at that point I might be taking off some of the clear coat. As I noted, the silver finish on all of them seems thin so I guess if I want perfection I'll eventually have to get them refinished anyway. And they're worth it; besides being a near-perfect size, I think M5 wheels look really good on any E28.

Look into Tru-Wheel in North Hollywood; they have a pretty good rep and come highly recommended from John Barlow (SoCal Vintage BMW). They're also a lot closer to you than Santa Ana.

12547 Sherman Way
Unit D
North Hollywood, CA 91605
818-765-5577
I've had two sets of wheels refinished by them (Porsche wheels and a set of BBS RS). They do very good work and I highly recommend them.
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

I think Tru-Wheel is a place I was trying to remember; I think I've heard good things about them as well. Less than an hour drive. Bingo.