Overhauling A/C System

Specific conversations and info for the BMW E28 M5 and M535i.
jungle168

Overhauling A/C System

Post by jungle168 »

Hi everyone,

After suffering through the coldest February in 40 years here in Northen Alberta the sun is finally out and melting all of the snow away. The warmer weather has given me the itch to get my M5 back on the road after being parked last summer. My question relates to A/C system. I noticed that the system blew hot air when I first brought the vehicle home 7 years ago so I had it retrofitted with R134A. It worked for while but it started doing it again later that summer. I had a different shop take a look at it. They drained and recharged the system once more but the problem re-emerged. I’ve left it unaddressed since then because of budget and time constraints. A new house and 2 young boys will due to that to a person!

I took a quick look underneath vehicle a little while back and it looks like the A/C condenser is sweating. So I’m assuming that there is a leak somewhere in the system. If this is the case which parts should I be replacing? I’ve taken a look at the diagrams on realoem.com but not a 100% sure which one I would need to order to rectify the issue once and for all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Jimmy
de Witt

Re: Overhauling A/C System

Post by de Witt »

Have the system checked with UV dye to spot leaks before you start replacing parts.
e12euro

Re: Overhauling A/C System

Post by e12euro »

I think you mean water is coming out of the evaporator core box (interior console)? If the weather is humid that's the way it should be, that's why they put a drain tube for the box.

You need to check the pressures, make sure the condenser fan in the nose is doing its job (check fuse box and the resistor on the condenser fan). As mentioned U/V dye to check for leaks is also key. Good luck. :)