M5 as DD

Specific conversations and info for the BMW E28 M5 and M535i.
njharrell

M5 as DD

Post by njharrell »

Hello. I've been looking for a while at purchasing an M5, we'll I've found one locally that appears to be in good condition and has about 150,000 miles. I'd probably be selling my current vehicle ('14 Ram) as part of the purchase. So I'd be daily driving the M5 at least for six months or so. I have a short commute, but do drive to meetings throughout the day.

Curious how many folks DD their M5's and any feedback/info they'd have. I did have an E21 for a few years, but never has it as my primary...

Thanks!
dsmith

Re: M5 as DD

Post by dsmith »

Should be fine, if it's in good order. I used to DD one in Houston traffic 20 yrs ago. The clutch was a bit heavy for the stop/go traffic, but I coped.
socalM5

Post by socalM5 »

I daily drove mine for 2 years when I purchased it back in 2012 with 215,000 miles on a clock no problems
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

Personally I find that it doesn't like the stop and go traffic. Feels like it wants to be opened up!
Preyupy

Post by Preyupy »

Fantastic daily driver as far as I'm concerned. As long as you understand the maintenance requirements of doing it in a 30 year old car. They were fantastic cars when they were new, better suited to long runs on a twisty road than being stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, so there is no reason it can't still be a great DD.
Cactus

Post by Cactus »

I'd feel bad about parking lot dings and the running costs. I daily a $1200 Ford ranger though, so feel free to ignore me.

I hate sitting in traffic in anything, it's enough to make me hate even cars I really like. I save my M5 for track days and road trips.
oldskool

Post by oldskool »

I’d do it to keep seals juicy and warm but not if there is any kind of major traffic to slow me down. Cars were meant to be driven . . .
Philo

Post by Philo »

I drove mine daily right up until the 350k mile mark. Oil consumption reached 2 quarts a month. You will also notice lots of grins and thumbs up from other drivers. Not many 1st Gen M5s on the road these days. In Los Angeles I get a minimum of a couple thumbs up when I drive the car.
njharrell

Post by njharrell »

Thanks for all the feedback, always nice getting some first hand knowledge! Luckily, despite living in Atlanta, I don't have to fight much traffic so most of the time I'm actually driving and not riding the clutch...and there's a lot of nice curvy streets.

I am concerned about the terrible condition of our roads and them just beating up the suspension, wheels and rattling everything loose. But I love hearing the stories of folks driving them upto and past 200k miles!

Now if only I can get the stars to align and make it happen!!
bigwave

Post by bigwave »

DD'd mine in ATL for nearly 2 years around 2012 before moving north and storing it for months on end. I also commuted only odd hours, so traffic was rarely an issue. Miss the N. GA roads up around where the Appalachian trail ends. Our mechanic also DD'd his and I would expect that he still does.

stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

Philo wrote:You will also notice lots of grins and thumbs up from other drivers. Not many 1st Gen M5s on the road these days. In Los Angeles I get a minimum of a couple thumbs up when I drive the car.
My car is an M535i and not an M5, but it's the same situation...I daily drive it during non-winter months and these days it gets a lot of attention from other drivers. I do take reasonable care, to avoid potential door dings when parking, etc. but it does the daily duty quite well.
CarNut68

Post by CarNut68 »

I also DD drove mine for a few years in non-winter months when bought it in 2008 with 99k on the odo. It's a great daily but in hindsight I wish I didn't and I certainly would not now. Too collectable to take the wear and tear of DD IMHO and parts are coming hard to come by or too expensive. In full disclosure, I also left it parked outside during a New England winter one year for lack of garage space...a sin that I will never forgive myself for.
DiseaseWithNoCure

Post by DiseaseWithNoCure »

Heck yeah, rip on her! Just ask Austin Caccavo (https://www.instagram.com/austin_caccavo/?hl=en) he dailys his and has now 350K+ miles on it and running solid!!

He should be inspiration enough for all of us to get out and drive more often...
cinnamonandgravy

Post by cinnamonandgravy »

DDed mine for 1.5 years.

Eventually said "what the hell am I doing" and bought an old Mercedes 300D turbo diesel for commuting (and I dont know why, but sometimes I love it more than the M5).

The M5 is fine for a DD, but for me, it spent a lot of time in traffic, I was a bit paranoid when it was in the average parking lot, etc. I just felt the M5 deserved better - if I was going to put a bunch of miles on it, I figured they should come from pleasure, not business.

Do as you will, but have fun and dont crash it.