M5 exhaust replacement advice. Sourcing parts.

Specific conversations and info for the BMW E28 M5 and M535i.
savannah996

M5 exhaust replacement advice. Sourcing parts.

Post by savannah996 »

Hi guys, I have a M5 clone car and all I have of the original M5 exhaust is the headers. The rest was custom made but they did a poor job imo. I would like to replace it all from the headers back if i can afford it with OEM style or aftermarket parts. What are my options and possibly some vendors?
savannah996

Re: M5 exhaust replacement advice. Sourcing parts.

Post by savannah996 »

Got some helpl from the FB group. I think Billy boat has a good catback system but I till need the first section from somewhere.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

I do not recommend the Billy Boat.
Rich in Tupelo

Post by Rich in Tupelo »

savannah996

Post by savannah996 »

The problem with supersprint midpipes is that they fit their (or euro) headers which are thousands of dollars.

I went with Billyboat muffler and DEC cats. This should round out the whole system for me.
de Witt

Post by de Witt »

wkohler wrote:I do not recommend the Billy Boat.

What is your experience with the BB? I am seriously considering a BB.
savannah996

Post by savannah996 »

Well the cats section I bought off ebay are actually pacesetter brand. They fit well. The BB catback was impeccably crafted. So my exhaust is finished and it sounds great.
BenGerman

Post by BenGerman »

de Witt wrote:
wkohler wrote:I do not recommend the Billy Boat.

What is your experience with the BB? I am seriously considering a BB.
I'm not a big fan of the sound if the BB exhaust.
I would either go Euro headers to SS track pipes to SS cat back or Euro headers to Factory M5 exhaust, custom track pipe.
savannah996 wrote:The problem with supersprint midpipes is that they fit their (or euro) headers which are thousands of dollars.

I went with Billyboat muffler and DEC cats. This should round out the whole system for me.
You should still consider going Euro headers at some point. Pretty good difference in how the car can breathe out.
There is replicas available for $1200 I believe.
bigwave

Post by bigwave »

Just over a year into running VSR cats/center section and a new OEM exhaust I have zero regrets as the car sounds excellent and performance is noticeably much better, especially over 4k rpm. I cringed at the price of the OEM exhaust, but it was unobtainable for so many years I felt fortunate to grab one. I was also able to salvage my chrome tips, which are nearly impossible to find.

As for euro headers they are a positive, but dont let anyone tell you that you can get them in without lifting the motor. There are many other mentions on that topic alone on this forum.
savannah996

Post by savannah996 »

I unbolted the engine mounts and lifted the motor a couple inches to replace the factory headers too.

Ide like to get euro snakes header for my car but I need to make them fit the 2 bolt cat section. Plus my chassis is rusting and idk how much money I want to put in her.