Low dust pads

Specific conversations and info for the BMW E28 M5 and M535i.
Kapt

Low dust pads

Post by Kapt »

Any recommendations for a low dust pad? The amount of dust from the fronts after a relatively easy drive still amazes me. The OE pads feel good, but I’m willing to give some of that up. No track use.
Mike W.

Re: Low dust pads

Post by Mike W. »

I'm a big fan of Akebono, Euro ceramic I think it is. Akebono ceramic at the very least. I put them on an E39 touring I used to have. It was due, style 5 wheels, best described as "everyone's favorite wheels until they have to clean them". Those things were incredible. What little dust there was, was light colored so it wasn't apparent. The last time I checked them, ~120K after I put them on, they might have been 25% worn. Not 25% left, 75% left. Rotors seemed to have minimal wear too. I swear those things could have gone half a million miles, both pads and rotors. I liked them well enough when I bought the next E39 touring I nearly immediately, put them on it.

The downside. Maybe I'm not sensitive enough, I didn't notice it, but some complain about ceramics as having a soft pedal. Or a soft initial bite. Fade resistance could have been better, but I've yet to see a pad that couldn't have been better. The best pads fade in time, the worst fade soon and severely. I didn't find that to be the case, modest fade under extreme conditions, which to me is all you can expect.
athayer187

Post by athayer187 »

Akebono Euro definitely gets my vote. For a daily driver, they're the perfect pad. They're not as aggressive as a high performance street pad, but stop well and consistently and don't dust much at all.
Kapt

Post by Kapt »

athayer187 wrote:Akebono Euro definitely gets my vote. For a daily driver, they're the perfect pad. They're not as aggressive as a high performance street pad, but stop well and consistently and don't dust much at all.
This was my choice too as I’ve used them successfully on my other cars but I can’t find them for an M5.
Do you have any sources for these?