Balancing S38 ITBs

Specific conversations and info for the BMW E28 M5 and M535i.
milarsky

Re: Balancing S38 ITBs

Post by milarsky »

PM Dean!

best,
jeff
HealeyBN7

Post by HealeyBN7 »

MicahO wrote:
HealeyBN7 wrote:
You coming to Vintage? Excellent! I'll have the kit up for tuning and demos, alongside Ben's various tools, in a vendor spot.
We are all booked and heading out tomorrow. Austin and Donna are also coming along. I am bringing a couple manometers for the S38 impulse buyer:). We are also bringing the big Mantis-Manometer banner. Hope to see everyone and share some beers!

Dean
HealeyBN7

Post by HealeyBN7 »

Had a great time at Vintage. I'll post some photos of our group tuning session. Lots of fun.

I had an interesting discussion with a Mantis user this afternoon. He was working on an S38B36 and experienced a very high vacuum draw on cylinders 5-6. After re-checking the butterflies, he suspected the vacuum take off for the brake master contributed to the uneven readings. I have tuned several S38B36 cars and haven't notices that difference. Also the tech manual doesn't mention closing the brake vacuum line before making adjustments. Most of my experience is on the hydro operated cars.

Any thoughts on his experience?

If a footnote needs to be added to the instructions for the S38B36, I will happily incorporate the change.

Dean
BenGerman

Post by BenGerman »

Dean, the car you guys were doing behind the tent was also a S38B36.
Did you experience the same thing there?
HealeyBN7

Post by HealeyBN7 »

BenGerman wrote:Dean, the car you guys were doing behind the tent was also a S38B36.
Did you experience the same thing there?
Thanks Ben. Ah, that's right. No, we didn't see anything odd with 5-6 on Jim's S38B36 at all. Hmm.

The owner is going to go back through the mechanical setup and try it again. Maybe the linkage is sticking?

Dean
SW

Post by SW »

Hello all - Is the mantis still available for use or is it only available for purchase?

SW
HealeyBN7

Post by HealeyBN7 »

SW,

Sorry I don't have one ready to rent out. Maybe someone in the community can step in. We are a bit distracted with house remodeling at the moment.

Dean
ertech

Post by ertech »

hi guys new on this board , I have a E30 M3 and having trouble getting a good low idle after restoring my TB , the steps were not to clear for me on measuring the rods. do we measure A--B or C--D ?
also .10--0.15 mm seams like to much air is passing. what should I aim for?
thanks

https://www.autodraw.com/share/VWU44E9GX8YA
https://photos.app.goo.gl/NSyjL2iU9ErWJ1G67
HealeyBN7

Post by HealeyBN7 »

ertech,

That doesn’t sound like the right spec. PM me your email address and I will send you the Mantis PDF instructions. We rewrote the mechanical ITB set up to make it a little easier to follow.

Dean
ertech

Post by ertech »

It wouldn’t let me send a Pm I am to new I guess
Erickmarciano@hotmail.com

Thanks so much