Our M5 Journey Begins

Specific conversations and info for the BMW E28 M5 and M535i.
Fanclutchnut

Re: Our M5 Journey Begins

Post by Fanclutchnut »

LDW update. Getting these old repairs out was brutal. Layers of sealant, screws, adhesive/job weld, and spot welds. Hammer chisel, angle grinder. Drivers side up next.
ImageImage
Fanclutchnut

Post by Fanclutchnut »

A lot of time has gone into carefully disassembling the prior repairs and factory spot welds to get to solid pieces to patch in. Today might be the final day for this part of the work. We think we found our mobile weld person and might even have a line on complete front floorboard/rocker panel sections.
Foonfer

Post by Foonfer »

Amazing work. Great to see projects like this one going on nearby... perhaps one day I'll be lucky enough to see you guys in one of several C&Cs around the area.

Enjoy, this will be a really special one. Subscribed!
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Fanclutchnut wrote: May 12, 2021 8:06 AM ... We used 80/20 solder, tinning flux, marine grade double wall adhesive heat shrink tubing, and TESA high temp tape to rewrap the harness. We did out best to maintain equal length on the repairs. It came out very well and Brody did a majority of the soldering.
Good job with the wiring repairs. One thing you may not know: generally you want to stagger this kind of repair in the harness so you don't end up with a bulge from all the heat shrink. It doesn't really matter in this case but if you're trying to pass a harness through the firewall or something you might need to think about it.

Looks like you're doing the floor pan repairs the right way - I just riveted in a new panel and called it a day because I didn't feel like welding anything.
cek

Post by cek »

Galahad wrote: Oct 17, 2021 10:50 PM
Fanclutchnut wrote: May 12, 2021 8:06 AM ... We used 80/20 solder, tinning flux, marine grade double wall adhesive heat shrink tubing, and TESA high temp tape to rewrap the harness. We did out best to maintain equal length on the repairs. It came out very well and Brody did a majority of the soldering.
One thing you may not know: generally you want to stagger this kind of repair in the harness so you don't end up with a bulge from all the heat shrink. It doesn't really matter in this case but if you're trying to pass a harness through the firewall or something you might need to think about it.
I recently had a harness failure on Vlad caused by me not staggering splices. Good advice.
Fanclutchnut

Post by Fanclutchnut »

Thx Foon! Hope to see you too! We’ve only seen one M5 IRL and have never sat in one. We have had some e28 seat time though. Would love to meet up with some owners in the area even before we finish!
Foonfer wrote: Oct 17, 2021 9:29 PM Amazing work. Great to see projects like this one going on nearby... perhaps one day I'll be lucky enough to see you guys in one of several C&Cs around the area.

Enjoy, this will be a really special one. Subscribed!
Thx for the suggestion Galahad and verification Cek. I hadn’t considered that. These aren’t passing through any panels like you mentioned. I will keep your idea in mind if we do any repairs that do.
Galahad wrote: Oct 17, 2021 10:50 PM
Good job with the wiring repairs. One thing you may not know: generally you want to stagger this kind of repair in the harness so you don't end up with a bulge from all the heat shrink. It doesn't really matter in this case but if you're trying to pass a harness through the firewall or something you might need to think about it.

Looks like you're doing the floor pan repairs the right way - I just riveted in a new panel and called it a day because I didn't feel like welding anything.
cek wrote: Oct 26, 2021 4:38 AM
I recently had a harness failure on Vlad caused by me not staggering splices. Good advice.
Fanclutchnut

Post by Fanclutchnut »

The previous repair panels are all out and adhesive, sealant, and tack welds removed. What a battle. We are now headed back in the other direction and it feels good. Deciding where to stitch in new panels and where to get them. One of the issues is the panels we need, if taken in one piece on each side, will probably make the donor car fall apart.

ImageImage