Again. Thermostat help

Specific conversations and info for the BMW E28 M5 and M535i.
milarsky

Again. Thermostat help

Post by milarsky »

Happy New Year all.

I still cannot procure the proper thermostat for my M5. even Bluntech cannot answer what the problem is. I can say for sure that each of the thermostats I ordered and received from Pelican, Autohauz, FCP, were all incorrect. Can anyone shed some light on this complicated, vet seemingly simple answer?

best,
Jeff
austin8753

Re: Again. Thermostat help

Post by austin8753 »

the aftermarket catalogues all list the incorrect thermostats. ask me how i know. bite the bullet and get one from the dealer; it's the only way i was able to get the correct unit.
milarsky

Post by milarsky »

Thanks Austin! It seems like all dealers list it as back ordered with no ETA.

thanks,
jeff
john r.

Post by john r. »

Just looked at one of my old parts books.
Shows part number 11 53 1 307 737 for thermostat.
Just checked the dealer on the thermostat number.
This is today 01/05/21
Dealer said 1 in stock in my facing warehouse (Stockton, CA).
I'm in Northern CA.
They also said a couple more thermostats in other warehouses around the country.
Makes me think of my old M5 checking these numbers.
Hope this helps. When we used to stock these thermostats I remember we always had to get from BMW, every other euro brand was incorrect.
John R.
austin8753

Post by austin8753 »

john r. wrote: Jan 05, 2021 1:59 PM Just looked at one of my old parts books.
Shows part number 11 53 1 307 737 for thermostat.
Just checked the dealer on the thermostat number.
This is today 01/05/21
Dealer said 1 in stock in my facing warehouse (Stockton, CA).
I'm in Northern CA.
They also said a couple more thermostats in other warehouses around the country.
Makes me think of my old M5 checking these numbers.
Hope this helps. When we used to stock these thermostats I remember we always had to get from BMW, every other euro brand was incorrect.
John R.
that's the correct part number. my local OE warehouse supplier seems to think the M30 thermostat interchanges ("TH1528.80J"), but no matter how many times i call and inform them "NO, IT DOES NOT", they refuse to take it out of the catalogue...

Jeff, i'd advise calling your local dealer. when i bought mine in May, 2019, there were quite a few in Stockton (as John mentioned above), so i wouldn't be surprised if there were still some there.

best of luck. make sure to order the o-ring for the overflow/recirculation valve, as well (upper most part of the thermostat housing cap)

A
john r.

Post by john r. »

If I remember correctly, the M5 thermostat from the dealer did not come with the o-ring.
Original number for thermostat o-ring was 11 53 1 304 202.
Dealer says that number is NLA; superseded number they say is 07 11 9 906 322, in BMW warehouses.

As Austin wrote, you'll also need the small o-ring.
part number 07 11 9 906 328.
Good luck. John
milarsky

Post by milarsky »

Today, 1/6/21: Called Stockton CA BMW, and he said specifically there are NONE in the USA. BMW has 44 of them on backorder, and not listed as NLA.

Thoughts?

best,
Jeff
austin8753

Post by austin8753 »

i also called my local dealer this morning - nothing :/

maybe you will get lucky and find somebody who happens to have one on a shelf, somewhere...
S62ninja

Post by S62ninja »

Schmiedmann is backordered until mid February, this may have something to do with Covid. I've been searching for a few months too and went with a NOS off ebay...don't think it's working correctly though.
cgraff

Post by cgraff »

Given the current BMW OE part number is on back order You have two options.

1. Get the M1 part, which cross references to the early M30. I forgot the exact PN, but I ordered one and it fits. The difference between it and the M88/3 and S38 is the diameter of the block off plate side (35mm vs 30mm). This means the flow around it when the tstat is open is slightly more constrained, meaning faster warm up time.

2. Source a alternative manufacturer that cross references to the Behr/BMW part. I did some PN research and actually found the original Behr part number (NLA), not the current one that is incorrect and actually bought a Verdet (will confirm later) that cross references. The problem with this one is that I think the block off plate starting position (when open) is too far out (ie too “closed”).

Personally I’d go with option 1 if you’re in a pinch. Then wait until the backorder comes through.

-Chris
milarsky

Post by milarsky »

Thanks all! Great responses. I ordered two from Schmiedmann and will report back as soon as they arrive.

best,
Jeff