Feeler: M535i wheels with decent TRX tires

Buy, sell, or trade parts.
fido

Feeler: M535i wheels with decent TRX tires

Post by fido »

I have a set of 5 rare euro m535i wheels with, in my humble opinion, decent/good usable TRX tires. Not sure how much to ask. PM if interested. I will get pics up later this week. Zip code 27707.

How they look on my car

Image[/img][/code]
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

I WANT! PM sent.
pldlnr

Post by pldlnr »

Very cool.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

I was going to (and still will) post a thread on this style wheel.
RonP and I were wondering out loud the other day what the possibilities were of someone forging up a set of these in a standard 16" size. That way, all of us with the M535's could have an original style, period correct wheel but in a modern standard size. Because if so, I'd jump all over them. I think there would be a lot of people interested in these.
Last edited by vinceg101 on Jan 11, 2011 7:51 PM, edited 1 time in total.
wkohler

Post by wkohler »

I'm conflicted because my car didn't come with that style.
mooseheadm5
Beamter
Beamter

Post by mooseheadm5 »

vinceg101 wrote:I was (and still will) post a thread on this style wheel.
RonP and I were wondering out loud the other day what the possibilities were of someone forging up a set of these in a standard 16" size. That way, all of us with the M535's could have an original style, period correct wheel but in a modern standard size. Because if so, I'd jump all over them. I think there would be a lot of people interested in these.
As I've said before, I can have a center like that machined from billet for BBS RS, or 2 piece style 5/19 wheels, but nobody would want to pay for them.
If I could get my hands on a set, I'd be able to tell if the center can be machined out of it with a flange left to bolt into a multi-piece wheel setup.
ncpaladin

Post by ncpaladin »

I still think a cover in this style that would bolt onto the ///M system wheel would work. Of course it would be a 17" application. Given the design of the ///M system, it would come out right. Hey! Then I could have yet another look- naked wheels, turbine covers, throwing stars, and M535i! :alright:
fido

Post by fido »

Here are photos of each individual wheel showing the thread depth. They are all in very good condition, only one has a some cracking on the surface. One actually looks newish. The rims are in a great shape.

ImageImage
fido

Post by fido »

Sold. Thanks.
mooseheadm5
Beamter
Beamter

Post by mooseheadm5 »

Whoever bought them, make a mold of the face with the cap. I bet we could get composite covers for M-systems made.
ncpaladin

Post by ncpaladin »

mooseheadm5 wrote:Whoever bought them, make a mold of the face with the cap. I bet we could get composite covers for M-systems made.
I was thinking of making a wood/fibreglass model cover for the M system wheels. Given how the center cap attaches, I was thinking of employing one from my turbine covers. Perhaps after making a model cover and painting it, it would give a good idea of how the whole assembly would look. I have to wait until it's warmer outside before taking on this task.

And no, I won't drive around with a mock-up wood wheel cover on the 533! :laugh:
stuartinmn

Post by stuartinmn »

mooseheadm5 wrote:As I've said before, I can have a center like that machined from billet for BBS RS, or 2 piece style 5/19 wheels, but nobody would want to pay for them.
If I could get my hands on a set, I'd be able to tell if the center can be machined out of it with a flange left to bolt into a multi-piece wheel setup.
Some of the custom wheels shops (like Foose) build their wheels by pressing a machined center into a hoop and then welding them together; I've wondered if you could take a TRX wheel, machine off the rim portion and then do the same thing. I don't know if it's something you could do safely with a cast wheel, though.
mooseheadm5
Beamter
Beamter

Post by mooseheadm5 »

I wouldn't try it with a cast wheel. The aluminum billets they machine the wheel centers from are much stronger than a casting.
Ordnator

Re: Feeler: M535i wheels with decent TRX tires

Post by Ordnator »

Slightly off-topic but in a similar vein, TRX Style 1 metric rims re-barreled to 17inch size.

https://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/142454-t ... o-17-inch/

Used to have TRX style 1's on a Euro E23 735i SE back in 1991 and thought they really suited the look of the car.

The choice of tire was dire 30 years ago and probably hasn't improved over time.

Something similar for the M535 metric wheel, but in 16 inch size could look sharp and bring back the unique period-correct design with access to modern useable tires.

Best regards,

Mick
John in VA

Re: Feeler: M535i wheels with decent TRX tires

Post by John in VA »

There was a BMW CCA Roundel vendor in the SE USA (Louisiana?) back in late 80s/early 90s that turned the TRXs into a non-metric diameter.