E30 M20 STAHL long tube race header

Buy, sell, or trade parts.
Bimmerguy2002

E30 M20 STAHL long tube race header

Post by Bimmerguy2002 »

i painted these super hi temp black, good condition, just has the normal scrapes where STAHL headers are notorious for, doesnt really affect the flow however.
350 plus shipping

LA

headers

Post by LA »

Really sorry to start this 'cause you have some interesting threads...but - just how do you determine that the flattening on the bottom of the headers 'doesnt really affect the flow?' I do not know the affect the bends have on the flow quality.

My gut feel is that performance is not degraded seriously, but there is bound to be an 'affect on the flow.' Just a gut feel, demonstrating the affect to the point of supporting your unqualified statement is a big job & I'm pretty sure you have not done it. Why is it so hard to say 'I do not know the affect the bends have on the flow quality?'
Bimmerguy2002

Post by Bimmerguy2002 »

i had them on the e30 race car, i didnt notice any difference whatsoever, ALL those same headers will get "smooshed" in that spot because they sit low, no way around it.
These headers bring out some good power on a car with a 272 in it, its from a motor i put together myself. I sold this header to someone who never used it and it somehow wound up in my friends hands so im selling it for him.
Kyle in NO
Location: Nasty Orleans------> Batten-Rooehjch------>More Souther LA

Post by Kyle in NO »

I doubt you would notice a difference between a perfect set of these and ones with the bottom scraped up...even if the tubes are smashed a bit.
Dana R

Post by Dana R »

Kyle in NO wrote:I doubt you would notice a difference between a perfect set of these and ones with the bottom scraped up...even if the tubes are smashed a bit.
If that is true, then why do people make such a big deal out of mandrel bent tubes in exhaust systems?
steve 87 535is

Post by steve 87 535is »

Change the Squidward calendar, it's December!
LA

tubes

Post by LA »

Kyle in NO wrote:I doubt you would notice a difference between a perfect set of these and ones with the bottom scraped up...even if the tubes are smashed a bit.
Hey Kyle...Why is it so hard to say 'I do not know the affect the bends have on the flow quality?' ;)

I doubt that it hurts too much; that was not my point. My point had to do with offering speculation as if you know it to be fact.

:brick:
mosportgreen66

Post by mosportgreen66 »

Dana R wrote:
If that is true, then why do people make such a big deal out of mandrel bent tubes in exhaust systems?
The difference there is the exhaust tone as well. You cannot notice the car's power difference. You can hear the difference in exhaust sound, however.
Kyle in NO
Location: Nasty Orleans------> Batten-Rooehjch------>More Souther LA

Post by Kyle in NO »

Bigger difference with a 3" pipe being necked down to 2.5" affecting the whole engine than with a 1 7/8" primary necked down like 1 3/4" affecting only one cylinder...
LA

guess

Post by LA »

Kyle in NO wrote:Bigger difference with a 3" pipe being necked down to 2.5" affecting the whole engine than with a 1 7/8" primary necked down like 1 3/4" affecting only one cylinder...
Again, you forgot to qualify that this is just an opinion with no supporting data or analysis. I think unfounded statements should not be included as sales features.

PM coming to address the one tube vs. whole bank/engine statement.
Jeremy
Beamter
Beamter

Post by Jeremy »

The problem, as I see it, is that since equal length headers are "tuned", then changing the shape of the tubing could affect exactly when the pulses for that tube reach the collector. I'm no expect and have no experience, but my gut says if the previous statement is true, it would negate some of the benefit of having those long tube headers.

Jeremy
chrism

Post by chrism »

Internet forum bragging rights, which is the greatest benefit of long tube headers, would be unaffected. The effect on the actual power output is immaterial.
Jeremy wrote: I'm no expect and have no experience, but my gut says if the previous statement is true, it would negate some of the benefit of having those long tube headers.

Jeremy