FS: Custom e28 badge

Buy, sell, or trade parts.
dsw99a

FS: Custom e28 badge

Post by dsw99a »

Hello e28'ers!

Here is a custom badge idea that has been rattling around my head for years now. It utilizes the exact size, and character of the font used during production years of our e28 chassis.

I wanted to see something just like BMW would have produced back in the day.
The badges are handcast and finished pewter or urethane resin.
I have produced a limited run of both pewter and urethane resin castings. The molds do not hold up well- especially the pewter, due to the high
heat. Very limited number available.

The pewter can come clearcoated or raw. The plastic can come raw- black color, which is suitable for priming and paint. Or purchase pre-painted with a chrome paint, or white or black. I also have a black backer-platen which can mimic the years that BMW had them.(78-79?)

I hope you can see my esteem for this chassis. I simply think we have some of the best cars on the planet. For those wanting to debadge or rebadge this is a unique way to show e28 pride.

message me for more information or more pics

Raw-unfinished black resin- $40
Painted resin- chrome/white/black-$50
Black backer platen-$10
Pewter-clearcoated-$90
Pewter-raw-$80

Package Deal-1 Pewter badge + 1Resin badge (painted or raw) + Backer platen- $120

Thanks for looking!! :D
Last edited by dsw99a on Jun 23, 2022 12:07 AM, edited 2 times in total.
BenTomm17

Re: FS: Custom e28 badge

Post by BenTomm17 »

Had intended to create an e28 badge from a 528e badge that was on a trunk lid I had laying around. Then I sold the trunk before I took off the badge.
Great idea!
dsw99a

Re: FS: Custom e28 badge

Post by dsw99a »

Hey thanks.
I guess it remains to be seen how great the idea is :rofl:

Im sure at least some of us has thought of this ideas, i did a great deal of searching, literally years, to see if someone else had made this emblem. I did see one other rendition, but they did not use the BMW font. And the font did change slightly over the years. They do take more hand finishing that i expected. Getting them perfectly flat is a bit tricky and it takes only one wrong move for the sander to send them flying or jam in the oscillating sander.The first two plastic ones i made were broken just trying to get them out of the mold. Just the nature of the design, is not super structurally sound. They are not flimsy, but are breakable, and the pewter can bend if dropped. but once secured they are bulletproof. The UV aspect is also yet to be determined. Although the polyurethane i used is mercury free, which i guess means something :| I did install a painted black emblem on my 87 Alpineweiss 528e today, pics to come. It still is very satisfying to create something that has only been seen in your minds eye.