WTB: Front Windshield

Buy, sell, or trade parts.
Syndrome

WTB: Front Windshield

Post by Syndrome »

I’m looking to buy a windshield for my E28 M5. I’d like it to be green/green stripe if at all possible. I’m near the nation’s capital, but shipping is an option, if it can be done safely. Thanks.
alpinass

Re: WTB: Front Windshield

Post by alpinass »

Got one in stock - Green tint on the upper section.
FUYAO p/n# FW00464 GGNFYG
I have fit 2 of them in a customer e28 and my car. Excellent fit. I recommend a new windshield gasket. $250
Syndrome

Post by Syndrome »

Great! Let’s do this! Please let me know how to get ‘er done. I’ll PM you with my private contact details. Thank you!
alpinass

Post by alpinass »

Confirmed - will get a total on Monday :D
gsidman

Post by gsidman »

I also need a new windshield for my '88 M5. The problem always seems to be getting one shipped intact. Where are you located? how much including freight to 95946.
Please reply to sidman@sidekarr.com
alpinass

Post by alpinass »

Syndrome

Post by Syndrome »

Received in beautiful condition. Thank you!
thelookingglass

Post by thelookingglass »

Hi!

I found this post and was curious is anyone knows, in June 2022, where I can find a front windshield. I cannot find any available other than Chinese unknown brands and even those are hard, but more than anything after seeing the comments on mye28 I am afraid of trying one of those out unless I am forced to do so.

Anyone have suggestions I would be very thankful to them. I am in South Florida.
Thank you!
Syndrome

Post by Syndrome »

I searched high and low, but it seems BMW and/or its suppliers have stopped making these. I thought I would tell you that the glass I discuss above, which I just installed by myself last weekend is a perfect fit and very nice. Here is a picture of my new glass. Please ignore the rubber trim on my front bumper and the upper moulding on the windshield. I will be installing new parts to replace these, but that’s not particularly high on my list of priorities.

Image.

I hope this helps you!

FYI, my car is one that lived its entire life in California, until it went to one of the Carolinas about 10-15 years ago, so it’s totally rust-free with all original panels and paint. The Carolina owner quickly overheated the engine and parked the car forever about 12 years ago (until I adopted it). Turns out the water pump failed him. I’ve rebuilt the engine with a new cylinder head and am attacking all of the systems with heavy, proper maintenance and/or rebuilds, using OEM parts and material in all cases except where they are simply unavailable. It’s a good thing I can do my own work, considering the hours I’ve put into this car! I shudder to think of the cost had I farmed it out to pros. I love that the car is now back among the living and actually looks great, IMO. Some day, if I find the parts on this side of the pond (USA), I will convert it to European bumpers, just for kicks.
DJM1986-5

Post by DJM1986-5 »

Beautiful example! Depending on brand and install technique, I'd check your windshield for leaks after install just as a precaution. Factory OE windshields fit very "snug" whereas the cheaper knockoffs can be pulled out without damaging the rubber. Usually the rubber has to be cut when removing factory units.
Syndrome

Post by Syndrome »

Yup. Thanks. The windshield fills the frame very nicely, thankfully. I’m a mainly a Porsche guy (this was actually my very first BMW*) and I’ve put OEM windshields in my 911s that were as you described, leaving gaps around the edges. This one, though, was actually a perfect fit and it took some effort to get the seal fitted to the body. No gaps anywhere. I’m really pleased with the fit. Thanks again.

* I also have a nice 1991 E34 M5, white with a dark blue leather interior, and original throwing star wheels, which I’m getting ready to sell soon. Very nice looking car, but I have too many cars at this point. I still have to research its value…