Group Buy - LED CENTER BRAKE LIGHT

Buy, sell, or trade parts.
MisterFixit

Group Buy - LED CENTER BRAKE LIGHT

Post by MisterFixit »

I am putting together a group order for the 'Hella model 38' (legacy part number 5238) CHMSL (Center High Mount Stop Light) or 'Cyclops' center brake light. (Last time I ordered this, it was $20 higher - go figure... let's blame the pandemic!) https://www.hella.co.nz/en/products/mar ... chmsl.html It's the middle one on the list.

I will be ordering soon. Lead time is 12 weeks. I am taking names for a group buy, so lead time of three months is a bit long, but if you wait and I run out, six months is even longer. I am also offering this to several other BMW forums - 2002, three- and five- and six-series forums. This will likely reduce shipping costs inbound. Lower unit cost and lower shipping cost are all good, so there.

They have 12 LED elements, each with it's own 'lens' - NICE AND BRIGHT. Inside, the panel holding the LEDs is adjustable up and down so you can AIM THE BEAM (hot spot) at the idiots behind you.

They mount to the glass at top (best defense against trucks and SUVs) or bottom of the back window, and run off the brake light wire with NO WIRE CUTTING, no clam-shell guillotine wire-slicing taps, no damage to the conductor or insulation. I customize the wiring to be plug and play. I ran mine through an existing hole in the package shelf, or you can run it next to the wheelhouse alongside the wire harness. You can have the wiring totally hidden this way. They come with plenty of wire, over 8 feet (2.5 m).

This model is versatile - every pre-1986 BMW can use one, even other cars pre-86 that didn't come with it. DOT required one on all cars from '86, trucks from '95. I had one on my 2002, and no more idiots in my trunk after that! Made by Hella, it looks stock-they made it for E28s anyway.

Upgrades to the stock tail lights will also help (hint, hint). Mo Brighta, Mo Betta.

Update--
Hella makes two related models of this light -- designed for back windows at flatter and more vertical angles. I can order either of these as well, if you want one for another car, maybe your vintage Ferrari or Bentley?

Here are the details:
Model 5237, 'coupe' - glass 20-36 degrees (from horizontal)
>Model 5238. 'sedan' - glass 37-56 degrees< best for the E28 and most BMWs
Model 5239. 'wagon' - glass 57-80 degrees

COST- $99 each, wired for your car to plug in and go. plus shipping (about $6-7?)
For a deposit of $60, I will write your name on one, balance due on arrival here in my laboratory. PayPal, check, money order accepted.

12V, 3W, will not mess with the Check Panel.
Last edited by MisterFixit on Apr 23, 2021 7:50 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Motronic

Re: Group Buy - LED CENTER BRAKE LIGHT

Post by Motronic »

This will be good for the Euro. I can make it removable with a connector beneath the parcel shelf when on display at an event thus not modifying the car which is huge.
vinceg101

Post by vinceg101 »

Motronic wrote: Apr 22, 2021 4:34 PM This will be good for the Euro. I can make it removable with a connector beneath the parcel shelf when on display at an event thus not modifying the car which is huge.
That's a good thought, but for that matter, I might consider the thinner versions they show at the bottom of the page linked and devise some sort of clip to hold it to the top of the rear window (if it's meant to be temporary for transport). You can still install some sort of discrete plug to the brake light line behind the rear seat :dunno: . Just a thought, a temp plug is a good idea though.

Having one of these is a better defense against having someone run up your a** on a hard brake.
LAsam

Post by LAsam »

Nicee!!! I’ll take 2.

Thanks.
BenTomm17

Post by BenTomm17 »

Umm, though cost was discussed did not see the actual price. Did I miss it? Or this another situation where if I have to ask I probably
can't afford it? ;)
MisterFixit

Post by MisterFixit »

BenTomm17 wrote: Apr 23, 2021 7:30 PM Umm, though cost was discussed did not see the actual price. Did I miss it? Or this another situation where if I have to ask I probably
can't afford it? ;)
Oh, Scheisse! I put this post up on five different forums, and forgot about that little fact on this one. My bad.
No, you didn't miss it, and yes, you can afford it!

$99 plus shipping (maybe $6-7), wired for your car to plug and play. I'll go and edit the first post.

How many do you want?
MisterFixit

Post by MisterFixit »

UPDATE-
There are now 30 lights on the order, it's been quiet for the last 3 days, so I think I am going to pull the trigger soon.

I will wait until May 5 to place the order. After that, you can still request one but the cost may be higher (shipping and such for singles may be higher than it is for 30). $99 plus shipping for this group.

Just the detail: I have to pay in advance, the order cannot be canceled, 12 week lead time, I will pre-wire for plug and play to six series lights (or another model if you tell me).

Will contact those with no deposit in hand to confirm before I place the order. This is going to all the BMW forums, from E3 Bavaria and E9 coupes to E30 three series.

If you are not on the list, I will probably do this again later in the year, maybe your car can be laid up over the winter and this will make more sense then?

Andy
MisterFixit

Post by MisterFixit »

UPDATE _ UPDATE _ UPDATE

OK, this is getting better every day! I put this post up on several vintage BMW forums, and have gotten good response.
Eight are going to members here, and the rest on other forums.

Predicted lead time (order to delivery) was 12 weeks, but I was contacted by Hella that there 'may' be a chance of shorter lead time.

Last minute guys - you have two days before the order deadline, this Friday. Get a pm to me or wait for my announcement that they have arrived, and we''ll see if there are any unclaimed extras. Pre-wired, ready to plug in and light up the night.

Same deal, same price: Send me your email, name, username. Your $60 deposit puts you on the order list, no deposit puts you on the wait list.
Deposits by PayPal to Mobrighta@comcast.net, with the same information in the notes.

FYI - I am also ordering two each of the other variants (#5237 for flatter, and #5239 for steeper back window angles) just in case...

Andy
meksiki

Post by meksiki »

Is it too late? Just saw this, I'd like to order one for my e28. (Whichever model is recommended for the e28). I'll dm you.
MisterFixit

Post by MisterFixit »

ORDER PLACED.

Anyone else will go on a Wait List, get one if there are left-overs (there may be several).
Send me a private message (PM) or email me directly -- click my username and there's a link.
MisterFixit

Post by MisterFixit »

UPDATE - EXPECTED DELIVERY
I am told to expect delivery TO ME on or about August 5, 2021.
On final payment, and any special wiring requests, they will then be wired for plug-in installation and shipped to each of you.

Any late-comers, please get me a message - PM or email a message.
I will put your name on the wait list, and you can get in line (I did order a few extra).
Motronic

Post by Motronic »

Thanks for the update Andy. I haven't logged on in a while but figured I'd check to see if any updates on delivery and see you did here. Looking forward to the installation!
MisterFixit

Post by MisterFixit »

Well what do you know - they arrived early! I will start working my way down the list so get ready to finalize the 'balance due.'

Something else came in recently - headlight protection film! I have 5 and 7 inch diameters, thin and thicker material.
Thin (12 mil) is available clear or yellow tint; thick (20 mil) in clear only.

If you want a pair (or two) of circles for your headlights, tell me and I'll throw it in with your brake light, no extra shipping.

Guess I have my work cut out for me now...
MisterFixit

Post by MisterFixit »

OK, I built one and shipped it off, the rest are on my TO-DO list. 3 shipped, only 35 more to go...
I am sending invoices with final payment amounts, the sooner you respond the sooner you get your lights!

I have instructions to go along, very easy to install with simple hand tools.

Thanks for your patience!
MisterFixit

Re: Group Buy UPDATE - two formats for instructions

Post by MisterFixit »

OK, I built one and shipped it off, the rest are on my TO-DO list. 15 shipped, only 30 more to go... the list keeps growing!
I am STILL sending invoices with final amounts, the sooner you respond the sooner you get your light!

I have instructions to go along, very easy to install with simple hand tools.
UPDATE - Mike's request, I now offer instructions as PDF or MS word (doc / docx).

Thanks for your patience!
MisterFixit

Post by MisterFixit »

WAIT LIST MEMBERS: LAsam, meksiki, David Badger, DFWTX85, onesidedsquare, objectgroup, jsedita74.

ATTN: I have shipped to all on the first part of the list, now the WAIT LIST folks are up.
Please get in touch soon, I'll wait until Oct 20, and then I will skip to the next name. IF you still want one after that, get in touch by email directly, not through the forum (I don't always get notified of a message or post). I do not have your email address, this is bad. If I hear from you, and still have some left, you will be in luck.

Provide your name and shipping address, the car it will go into, model, year and VIN of that car, and if you want it wired for plug and play install. I MUST have your email address, and will send payment info and options as soon as I hear from you with the above info.

Thank you, and enjoy this weird weather!

Andy