WTB. Style 5 16s Basketweaves

Buy, sell, or trade parts.
svveetmikko

WTB. Style 5 16s Basketweaves

Post by svveetmikko »

Hello.

I recently just acquired my first e28 and excited to replace my stock TRX wheels with some Style 5s. I'm looking for 16s. 72.5 bore size so I won't need hubcentrics rings (not sure if all style 5s 16s are with 72.5). Ideally in Portland so i can pick up locally. post or DM me if you have any spare you want to get rid off. Thanks! :)
vviking

Re: WTB. Style 5 16s Basketweaves

Post by vviking »

PM sent
jamarcus2012

Post by jamarcus2012 »

I have some in Southern Oregon if you find yourself down here. No center caps but good wheels. PM me if interested
Spen

Post by Spen »

Got a set of 5 I think. W caps. Caps who knows wheels would not be perfect hut good drivers. 300 bucks in Seattle all 5 w E38 tires. Not a penny less
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

I don't wish to step on the toes of anyone helping out with a set for sale but, IMHO, about the only OE 16-inch Style 5s that fit the E28 properly are the E39 wheels. I think they're even a better fit than the E28 M5 wheel, if you even can find those. The minimal spacers required to make these work and still be hub-centric are cheap and durable if you choose the aluminum ones. If you use E38 wheels you'll be hub-centric but you'll also be about an inch too wide to fit the skinny left-rear haunches of our E28s without rolling your fenders. The E39 is 7x16 et20 and fits perfectly. If you're going to go to all of the trouble of having to roll your fenders, you might as well go all the way and do 17x8-inch 2-piece Composite wheels, also from an E39, but in those I much prefer the Style 42 Composite-II to the Style 5 Composites.

Once again, here's mine wearing the 16x7 E39 Style 29s:

Last edited by BMWCCA2 on Apr 13, 2021 8:33 AM, edited 1 time in total.
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

I have M5 wheels (16 X 7.5, ET20) on mine with 225/50 Conti Sport Contacts with no intereference. The car is lowered slightly on M-Tech suspension but the camber is still within spec. I'd heard that I would probably have to roll the rear fenders but maybe I got lucky.

svveetmikko

Post by svveetmikko »

Thank you all for the response on this. I recently just a acquired a e38 style 5s with 8x16 locally.

BMWCCA2, I was so close to getting those but wanted to find one without hubcentric. I really like that look. Nice pic.

LarryM, ideally that’s what I was looking for but couldn’t find anything so I went with the e38 ones. Needed to tires soon so I went with what o got locally. Really nice car btw.

Since we’re here, I recently just responded to an old thread in regards to the tires the fits. Wanted to ask again since most of the the response has bit a bit dated (last response was 2012 :) ).

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=88434&start=50

With today market, what tires have you guys been using? Same ones? Any new tires that fits the same as the old? Ideally, I wouldn’t want to use a spacer. Looks like it is possible depending or tires but curious on which one everyone’s using now.

You can reply to that thread if that helps to not create another thread with this topic.

Thanks.
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

Nice choice on the 16" E38 wheels; I think they look great on E28s. The thread you linked covers the tire choices pretty well. Personally, with an 8" width I'd go with 225/50-16s and use the smallest spacer on the fronts as is necessary. Turner has a nice selection of spacer "kits" which include the longer lug bolts you'll need.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3688 ... -kit-10mm/

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3688 ... t-kit-5mm/
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

Also: I don't have first-hand knowledge of these wheels but if you have trouble fitting the front center caps you might want to read this, courtesy of Mr. Kohler:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=53909
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

Declined hub-centric rings but willing to settle for spacers? I hope it all works out for you.
svveetmikko

Post by svveetmikko »

Thanks LarryM for the tip but i think i'd avoid it as since it looks like there are tires that could fit without this set up.
BMWCCA2 wrote: Apr 12, 2021 8:07 AM Declined hub-centric rings but willing to settle for spacers? I hope it all works out for you.
BMWCCA2, to clarify, I'm not settling for spacer. As I stated on my post above, I'd like to avoid both spacer and hub centric. Just by reading old threads about this, it looks like it's possible with the right tire. I'm curious if people are still using the same tires 8 years ago (One example is the BFG G-Force)? or the updated versions still fits the same? or any new ones with today's market?
Mike W.

Post by Mike W. »

BMWCCA2 wrote: Apr 09, 2021 11:31 PM

Once again, here's mine wearing the 16x7 E39 Style 5s:

Those are not style 5s, they are style 29s. Probably closer in appearance to style 42s, and IMO an excellent looking wheel for E28s, but not style 5s.
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

Mike W. wrote: Apr 12, 2021 7:08 PMThose are not style 5s, they are style 29s. Probably closer in appearance to style 42s, and IMO an excellent looking wheel for E28s, but not style 5s.
Of course you are correct. In the E39, "Style 5" refers to the composite with center hub cover. Style 42 refers to the composite without cross-spoke cap, and Style 29 includes the one-piece 15" and 16" cross-spoke style which use the octagonal wrench for the center cap. To be more confusing, there is also an E39 7x16 with the center cap that needs the slotted cap wrench to remove it that is also referred to as Style 5, though I'm not sure why. The Style 29 looks more like the original BBS RA looked when we were adding them to our 2002s 40-years ago. And, for some reason, the E28 M5 wheel is also called Style 5. In the E34, all cross-spoke-style wheels, including TRX, are called Style 5. If you like cleaning more spokes, go Style 5. Style 29 is a bit more open.

Here's my other E28 back when it had 15-inch E34 Style 5s on it. They worked well but only one brand (manufacturer) would fit over M5 brakes without some filing. Today it has 16-inc Style 29s on it just like the Delphin car with no brake clearance issues:

And here's my favorite BMW OE cross-spoke wheel:
freedspeak

Post by freedspeak »

I have the same wheels (e38 style 5) on my 535is.

If you go with "BFG g-force Sport Comp 2" in 225/50/ZR16 92W for rubber, they have reinforced sidewalls to prevent them from squatting...so they don't rub the front suspension. Mine is lowered on H&R\bilstein sports with the back set on second to highest mark. No rubbing and no rolling.

Also, FWIW...I had a spare set of e38 style 7 (snowflake) centers. These are very simple flat plastic caps seen in the first pic here http://www.bmwstylewheels.com/bmw/7 and I snapped them in just to see if it would look ok. I think they transform the wheels. Highly suggested but will likely need the concave dust caps (as I have) no matter what center you use.
svveetmikko

Post by svveetmikko »

freedspeak wrote: Apr 14, 2021 7:58 PM I have the same wheels (e38 style 5) on my 535is.

If you go with "BFG g-force Sport Comp 2" in 225/50/ZR16 92W for rubber, they have reinforced sidewalls to prevent them from squatting...so they don't rub the front suspension. Mine is lowered on H&R\bilstein sports with the back set on second to highest mark. No rubbing and no rolling.

Also, FWIW...I had a spare set of e38 style 7 (snowflake) centers. These are very simple flat plastic caps seen in the first pic here http://www.bmwstylewheels.com/bmw/7 and I snapped them in just to see if it would look ok. I think they transform the wheels. Highly suggested but will likely need the concave dust caps (as I have) no matter what center you use.
Thank you freedspeak. Really helpful informations. I recently just got my car a month ago and the 1st owner had bilstein HD’s on it if that helps explain where I am too. Springs looks stock.

I was definitely looking at that BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 92w 225/50/16. I wasn’t sure at first if it still fits the same as the BFG G-Force Sport everyone seems to be recommending in this site 8 years ago but it seems like it is and it’s working good for you.
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp? ... 5WR6GFSPC2

I was also looking at the Continental extreme contact dws06 as well. Seems like those two have been some exceptions when it comes with the e38 style 5 16x8 23mm wheels.
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp? ... &tab=Sizes

Looks like the BFG has better price now online so I might just go with that. I’m also not planning on driving this during the winter anyway. Thanks again.
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

freedspeak wrote: Apr 14, 2021 7:58 PM I have the same wheels (e38 style 5) on my 535is.

Would that center cap be item #6? Do they just "snap in" instead of screw-in? I'd like to see an actual pic of how those look in the E38 Style 5 wheels, if you have one.
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=36_1506

(BTW, interesting assortment of pics in your link if you scroll down.... :shock: )
freedspeak

Post by freedspeak »

Would that center cap be item #6? Do they just "snap in" instead of screw-in? I'd like to see an actual pic of how those look in the E38 Style 5 wheels, if you have one.
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=36_1506
No, mine were the very first pic (#1). The ones with fake hub bolts (#6) are what come with the e38 style 5s (I still have that set on a shelf). They look like they would screw in (as real BBS RS centers do), but it is an illusion as they also snap in...looking at the mounting ring on both sets of centers is what gave me the idea the style 7 centers would fit. I assume other snap ring centers may also fit. I will throw up a craigslist community post this afternoon to link pics of how they look...but it will only last a few weeks so save it off if you like the look.
(BTW, interesting assortment of pics in your link if you scroll down.... :shock: )
Holy shit! That site has been used for decades...I've never scrolled down that far and many of those are not correct examples...but #1 is. I guess they don't monitor customer wheel pics very closely LOL...
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

OK, got it. The part # for that center cap must be 36131180113:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=36_1508

And it looks like they're still available new.

Thanks for this info. The one thing I don't like about the E38 Style 5 wheel is the center cap. This one might help improve the appearance.
freedspeak

Post by freedspeak »

I think I still had stock suspension on it when these were taken

link to the post (but it will expire in craigslist fashion):
raleigh.craigslist.org/com/d/wake-forest-wheels/7307430738.html

LarryM

Post by LarryM »

I agree; they do improve the looks of the wheel. Quite nice. A little more "sporty" than the purposeful elegance of the center cap used on the E38.
svveetmikko

Post by svveetmikko »

Nice. I really like that look. I might have to find those center caps and try it on mine for options. Thanks!
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

For those who like the E38 wheels and are near Virginia, this looks to be a deal:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 7872%22%7D

Facebook marketplace 740i wheels in Newport News, VA, for $40