WTB: 16" 5x120 BBS RS rims

Buy, sell, or trade parts.
hans-gruber

WTB: 16" 5x120 BBS RS rims

Post by hans-gruber »

Hey guys,

Shocking revelation that e28 owner wants a set of BBS RS rims, yet here i am, defying the odds.

I'm new to the forum (and ownership of a 86' M535i) and was hoping anyone at all could help me locate these wheels.

I honestly feel like all my searches have come up empty. im based in Australia and am willing to pay to complete the look i want on my e28.

Much appreciation to any and all that wish to help...

-Hans
cek

Re: WTB: 16" 5x120 BBS RS rims

Post by cek »

Contact Frank Franker.

https://instagram.com/frank_franker?igs ... 5n3uwvfaa5

He's legit. Not cheap though especially with current exchange rates
hans-gruber

Post by hans-gruber »

cek wrote: Sep 25, 2020 10:51 PM Contact Frank Franker.

https://instagram.com/frank_franker?igs ... 5n3uwvfaa5

He's legit. Not cheap though especially with current exchange rates
Hey cek,

thanks for the tip. ill check it out!
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

My first 535is had original 3-piece BBS RS 16" wheels spec'd for the car back in 1990. Beautiful but depressing to own. When the first one cracked at the outer edge of the rim, I asked BBS what they thought about it and I got a call from a representative who told me the history of that wheel on the E28. Due to the minimal clearance at the rear fender (especially the left side), BBS spec'd a rather narrow tire for the wheel. This, they said, caused debris to get caught between the tire and the rim causing stress and the cracking I was experiencing. They replaced the wheel for free even though I was not the original purchaser. Later I sold the car and the subsequent owner had another wheel crack in the same spot. Not sure they met with the same goodwill from BBS since, at the time they replaced mine, BBS had told me they had only a few left to cover warranty issues.

I'm much happier now with the BBS one-piece Style 5s from the E39 in 16x7 et20 used with spacer rings on my current 535is and 535i. They may not be as fancy looking as the RS but they are strong, cheap, and fit better than any other wheel I've used in 16" size on an E28. If you're not going 17-inch, maybe these have the right amount of "bling" for you anyway.

(Looks better without the pinstripe now, but I haven't taken any recent photos.)
hans-gruber

Post by hans-gruber »

BMWCCA2 wrote: Sep 26, 2020 12:24 AM My first 535is had original 3-piece BBS RS 16" wheels spec'd for the car back in 1990. Beautiful but depressing to own. When the first one cracked at the outer edge of the rim, I asked BBS what they thought about it and I got a call from a representative who told me the history of that wheel on the E28. Due to the minimal clearance at the rear fender (especially the left side), BBS spec'd a rather narrow tire for the wheel. This, they said, caused debris to get caught between the tire and the rim causing stress and the cracking I was experiencing. They replaced the wheel for free even though I was not the original purchaser. Later I sold the car and the subsequent owner had another wheel crack in the same spot. Not sure they met with the same goodwill from BBS since, at the time they replaced mine, BBS had told me they had only a few left to cover warranty issues.

I'm much happier now with the BBS one-piece Style 5s from the E39 in 16x7 et20 used with spacer rings on my current 535is and 535i. They may not be as fancy looking as the RS but they are strong, cheap, and fit better than any other wheel I've used in 16" size on an E28. If you're not going 17-inch, maybe these have the right amount of "bling" for you anyway.

(Looks better without the pinstripe now, but I haven't taken any recent photos.)
Hey BMWCCA2

I appreciate you taking the time to give me a run down of your experience. its deff something im going to need to consider before making my purchase. i currently have some 17" AC schnitzer replicas on the e28, though they do their job fine, it just isnt what im looking for.

Image(this is her currently)
BMWCCA2

Post by BMWCCA2 »

That's a beautiful E28!
maybeillbuyit

Post by maybeillbuyit »

I've never heard of this cracking issue before. I've got a set of BBS RS 005s I'm about to put on my e12, I hope they don't crack!! :shock:
joalfa

Post by joalfa »

Been a while, but did you ever get a set of RS's? From the Philippines, but should be cheaper than to ship from the US.